Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MK10 Bluetooth Keyboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 8:54am
Perhaps, along the way they decided to give one keyboard even for dual IFDs.  I had thought on an old thread it was said it was one per IFD
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 11:15pm
I received only 1 BT Keyboard, despite my Dual 540's - I was told only 1-KB per Dual customer... even though I know of exceptions!

Tom Wolf

squeege View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Can two keyboards be paired to the same IFD?  I wondering if those with 2 keyboards as a result of having dual IFDs, can have a fully charged keyboard ready to go so that if the battery in the other keyboard dies, they can be swapped and continue on controlling the same IFD that the other keyboard controlled.

I'm wondering that also, however, I bought & registered (2) IFD540s but only received one keyboard.

Louise
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 8:42pm
Can two keyboards be paired to the same IFD?  I wondering if those with 2 keyboards as a result of having dual IFDs, can have a fully charged keyboard ready to go so that if the battery in the other keyboard dies, they can be swapped and continue on controlling the same IFD that the other keyboard controlled.
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 1:32pm

Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

I'm wondering that too-- I bought a new Avidyne stack at the beginning of the year, registered it on MyAvidyne, and now UPS tells me I have an Avi package on the way. Is it the keyboard? A t-shirt? A printed user guide? The suspense is killing me!

My bet is on the keyboard - that is the way mine came.  Have fun!

Edited by AUXAIR - 25 Jan 2016 at 1:32pm
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:45am
I'm wondering that too-- I bought a new Avidyne stack at the beginning of the year, registered it on MyAvidyne, and now UPS tells me I have an Avi package on the way. Is it the keyboard? A t-shirt? A printed user guide? The suspense is killing me!
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 9:51am
Registered last week. PM shortly.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 8:51am
When did you register? PM me your MyAvidyne username and I will verify that everything is in order.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:49pm
IFD540 registered on MyAvidyne. How do we know when the keyboard is on the way?

Thanks in advance
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 5:58pm
Thanks for posting this. I did try the back light key again today and it appears it has to be fully paired and you have to accept the message on the IFD screen. Once that was all done it lit up when I pressed the light bulb key.
Thanks,
Mike
AviKent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviKent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 11:03pm
Paired my keyboard and my IFD540 today. The tech rep I spoke with was very helpful, and said many exciting features soon to be available.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 9:12am
Here is the how-to that Jake was talking about:

Keyboard Status Indications   A solid green LED lamp indicates the keyboard is connected.   A flashing green LED indicates it is trying to pair.  A yellow LED is lit every time a keystroke is sent to the IFD. While charging, the red LED turns on and grows dimmer as the charge increase.  When fully charged, the red LED is extinguished.  Leaving the keyboard plugged in after the charge is complete will decrease the battery life.

10.1.1.0:   The letters, numbers, period (โ€œ.โ€) and up/down/left/right arrow keys are functional on a properly paired Bluetoothยฎ keyboard.  The up/down/left/right arrow keys can be used for page navigation in the same way the inner and outer rings of the bottom right IFD knob can navigate through page fields. No other keys are mapped to IFD functions at this time

10.2:  All labeled keys are fully functional.  The lightbulb key turns on backlighting for the keyboard.  The vertical two-headed arrow key is primary/#1 standby swap.   The Avidyne logo key is a space bar. The up/down arrow keys can be used for page navigation in the same way the inner ring of the bottom right IFD knob can navigate through page fields.  Repeated presses of the FMS, MAP, AUX keys step through the tabs on those pages.  Repeated presses of the FREQ button will step through the  top tabs of the Freq List.

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 2:37pm
๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 2:35pm
Yeah but I didn't mean it!   No, just kidding, we'll have a look.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 2:23pm
Jake
I decided to try to use the frequency button as you suggested and see how I like it. Of course, my luck, the first frequency that ATC gave me was not on the list despite scrolling to the bottom. 127.9 out of Providence.   I ended up entering it manually with the BT keyboard.   You had asked for us to let you know when frequencies were missing.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 12:01pm
My BT KB went as advertised... 
P.S.  Your screen is clean compared to mine though.

Tom
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 9:02am
It could well be a coincidence, but I had a weird problem right after pairing my keyboard yesterday. Keyboard worked initially, but after a restart I couldn't get GPS at all. Status pages showed blank for LIO and GPS and I had a 429 input error plus the keyboard was no longer recognized. This persisted after a restart, but things worked fine again after I downloaded logs.

Edited by Royski - 17 Jan 2016 at 9:03am
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 6:26am
My keyboard is successfully paired with the IFD, but I did notice that while I followed the instructions exactly, the IFD did not. To be specific; the IFD did not show "Bluetooth Keyboard" as predicted.  Instead, it presented me with a code, which I believe is probably the hexadecimal address of my keyboard.  See image:

Aside for that unexpected behavior, the pairing went as advertised.  The keyboard appears to function as I thought it should.  I was able to enter a frequency and a waypoint.  The airplane is down for other maintenance now, but I'll try it in flight the next time I am out.

David Bunin

P.S. Before you say anything, yes, I know I need to clean my screen again.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 10:42am
Arrow keys were also enabled to be able to move around the flight plan.  The up/down was like the outer knob and the left and right was like the inner knob.  I'm pretty sure ENT and CLR worked as well.  The keyboard was fast and responsive, definitely well integrated even without all the keys mapped yet.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 10:00am
They have the numbers enabled; the function keys come in 10.2.
David Gates
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 8:42am
So what buttons work on the Kb? I could enter flight plan alphabets, and freqs only after pushing the button on the IFD, the com button on the KB didn't do anything
Am I missing something?
And just by the way, I'm missing my T-shirt.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:35pm
I gave Simpson some fodder today to provide more how-to info on the keyboards.  I'm sure he'll post that info as soon as he gets the chance.  He's a busy boy.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 5:41pm
I was able to turn the back lighting on and off by pressing the light bulb key in the upper left. After turning on, it would time out and shut off after about a minute.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 5:35pm
After mine was paired with the 540, I was able to turn the back lighting on and off by pressing the light bulb key in the upper left.
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:45pm
Mine lights up when pushing any key after hitting the bulb button.  I flew at night a few days ago and it lights up well.  
lolsen94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:39pm
Sorry, keyboard or tee shirt...
lolsen94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:38pm
I have not received either. Who do I contact?
lolsen94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:35pm
Has anyone flown using the keyboard. I am curious how easy to use in flight, especially with turbulence.
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:10pm
I had to run up to hangar at lunch today

Mine does work once it is paired to my IFD540 and I have allowed it to talk to the unit

I had seen the other posts and assumed it would not work but mine does
Ed
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 1:50pm
Negative, no light up for me, except on initial ON.

* Orest

mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 1:36pm
Yes. Several times. I actually tried several key combinations trying to get it to light up. Has anyone got it to work?
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 1:10pm
Did you hit the little "light bulb" button on the upper left side?
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 12:12pm
Mine was paired and working with the 540 but I could not get the light to work. It was also fully charged. I was on a night flight so it was unusable at that point because I couldn't see the keys.
Mike
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 12:07pm
Is that a requirement?

Ed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 11:31am
Originally posted by edanford edanford wrote:

This little light of mine.. 

I can't make shine

The keyboard back light is taunting me too.

I see it works at power up but cannot get it to turn on manually

What is the story?
Do you have it paired to the IFD?
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 11:31am
This little light of mine.. 

I can't make shine

The keyboard back light is taunting me too.

I see it works at power up but cannot get it to turn on manually

What is the story?
Ed
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:44pm
I flew tonight with my keyboard for the first time at night. I may be missing something but the back light didn't work even when paired. It only lights up briefly when turning on the power. Maybe there is some configuration or keystroke sequence on the keyboard that is needed to enable?
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:31pm
Hmmm...   Never even tried using the freq button.  But I will... :)

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:31pm
Yes, scrolling is not frequent.  I find the only time i have to do that is over NYC where there are dozens of approach freqs when transiting the airspace at 5-7K.

I usually just press FREQ, see the one I want, touch it and it's in standby.

But, your point is a good one.  It's just crazy simple with a BT keyboard.  And even cooler in Release 10.2 where you can press COM to put focus on the standby slot.

And yes, if you find freqs that are not in the list, we're happy to hear about them and see why they are missing.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:31pm
If it's listed, especially if you don't have to scroll to the bottom, it's faster from the freq page.  I can have the page up and waiting before they get to the freq while they are saying "Nxxx contact yyyy approach/center on".  Once they say the freq, it's a single touch to select it.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:27pm
I will have to try that and I guess everyone has their preferences but it seems by the time you hit the frequency button, scroll to the bottom looking for your frequency, and activate it, you could have manually entered it in with the knobs or wifi keyboard much quicker   
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

I always use the FREQ button in that case and find the freq is in the list over 90% of the time. I can fly down V3 from MA to FL and never miss a single freq in that list. Sometimes you may have to scroll down to bottom of list but I have never ever seen a 50% hit rate.

I've made sure to scroll all the way down.  I'm in SoCal typically between 8 and 12kft, but find it even away from LA airspace.  To be more specific, I haven't really relied on the Airport or Recent tabs so I hit Freq twice to put it on the Enroute tab.  I'll try to capture some of the ones I miss.

I should also clarify that I'm guessing it's 50% of the handoffs, not 50% of the time.  The database does have the two local approach frequencies I use most often.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:18pm
I always use the FREQ button in that case and find the freq is in the list over 90% of the time. I can fly down V3 from MA to FL and never miss a single freq in that list. Sometimes you may have to scroll down to bottom of list but I have never ever seen a 50% hit rate.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Here's Jakes set up:

Since I use Freq List button or Com Presets for virtually all com tuning and I never manually tune a Nav freq, this is a really slick setup.

Just wondering, when flying on an IFR plan and ATC gives you the next frequency, how do you enter this without manual entry either with keyboard or knobs?  Do you try to find the needed frequency in the Freq list and activate it?

I was wondering that too.  I find the frequency given to me by the controller in the freq list about 50% of the time so although I'd prefer to use the freq list, it hasn't worked out that way in reality.  It's definitely nice to have and if I missed a handoff while flying through the mountains, I have something to try on the other side and they'll give me the correct freq if I'm not in their area.

Edited by brou0040 - 13 Jan 2016 at 8:18pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:06pm

Here's Jakes set up:

Since I use Freq List button or Com Presets for virtually all com tuning and I never manually tune a Nav freq, this is a really slick setup.

Just wondering, when flying on an IFR plan and ATC gives you the next frequency, how do you enter this without manual entry either with keyboard or knobs?  Do you try to find the needed frequency in the Freq list and activate it?

pilot61f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot61f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 7:29pm

You can pair it to which ever IFD you do the most data entry on. The pairing instructions are in 6-46 of the IFD540 Pilots Guide & 6-43 of the IFD440 PG.

The audio control buttons on the keyboard aren't mapped until 10.2.

Great, my IFD540 Pilots Guide only goes to 6-41. I have Rev 00. Can I get an updated one?
Don View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Originally posted by Gary T Gary T wrote:

I registered my AXP340 and IFD540 in November, 2014.  Apparently when I returned my IFD540 to Avidyne this past summer for modification/updates my IFD540 registration was deleted at Avidyne.

Discovered this today and talked to tech support. I am once again registered and hope to receive the keyboard.

The same happened to me and my registration was just re-added after I decided for some reason to recheck the registration when no kb arrived. No idea, though, how long it will take since I suppose we're now back at the end of the queue.

I just re registered my 540 ... had to send my first one back in and they so graciously sent me another one that has been working flawlessly !!!! Not sure if the first one was deleted or not but i think i am all good to go now !!! And i did get the T shirt... THANKS SIMPSON !!!
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

So, it is interesting that my setup landed about the same as Jake with a few exceptions.

I have keyboard convenience mode turned on the lower box such that the upper box is a keyboard for the lower unit.  I use the lower box as my data entry box.  I also have the keyboard paired to this unit.

I have the fuel flow wired to my upper #1 IFD which boots up in the fuel management window.  It is also crossynced over to my #2 so the fuel range rings and other fuel planning works properly.

I have my #1 track up ranged in and my #2 North up ranged out.

Is this sort of thing saved in a config file?  Is it possible to <electronically> share configs?
David Gates
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 12:17pm
So, it is interesting that my setup landed about the same as Jake with a few exceptions.

I have keyboard convenience mode turned on the lower box such that the upper box is a keyboard for the lower unit.  I use the lower box as my data entry box.  I also have the keyboard paired to this unit.

I have the fuel flow wired to my upper #1 IFD which boots up in the fuel management window.  It is also crossynced over to my #2 so the fuel range rings and other fuel planning works properly.

I have my #1 track up ranged in and my #2 North up ranged out.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 11:53am
Suggest you or Jake or Jared do a youtube video on this?
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic