Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bug? Bezel display issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bug? Bezel display issue
    Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 12:09pm
Perhaps this is working as designed, but when the unit is on the sensor dimmer, the VOL, CDI & COM/VOR button labels are completely dark. Seems a bug, or a problem with my lighting setup.

I know that they work, because when the dimmer knob is set to almost nil (but ON), they come on at full bright.

Here is my lighting setup ...

It looks like this is the case with Gring's setup too ...

The VOL, CDI & COM/VOR labels are all dark.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 21 Jan 2015 at 1:35pm
skycobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skycobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 7:41pm

I have noticed the exact same output with the Bezel lighting.   In my case, I'm only using the photo sensor and not the dimming bus.   Using the "setup options" I changed the bezel mode from Auto to Manual and started to adjust the backlight.  When I got to about 50% and lower the label backlighting turned on.   Maybe Steve can chime in as to whether this is by design or a bug or ???. 

Auto Lighting strategy is confusing to me, especially since I'm only using the sensor and I'm having a hard time setting upper and lower levels.

Also, does anyone know if I can manually trigger the audible alerts on the ground, ie TOD chime, terrain alerts, etc.  I thought I had them, but on last flight didn't hear anything.

Thanks 

Al
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 11:45am
That bezel lighting behavior is per design.  

I'll be the first to admit that the backlighting design is complex.  I've pasted a snippet from the Install Manual below and highlighted in red a new sentence that got added with the Rel 10.0.3.0 IM update.  It's not directly relevant to what folks are complaining/asking about here but helpful nonetheless.

Photo Maximum

The Photo Maximum sets the maximum brightness when the dimming source is the photocell.   Both the Bezel and Display fields have a range of 50 to 100, and the factory default is 100.

dimBus Transition %

The dimBus Transition % sets the threshold where the aircraft dimming bus takes over from the photocell. Below this threshold, the aircraft dimmer controls the IFD5XX lighting. Both the Bezel and Display fields have a range of 0 to 100, and the factory default is 10.

Note: If it is not desired to hand brightness control over to the dimming bus from the photocell at any point, set dimBus Transition % to 0 (zero).  Doing so will prevent the scenario where, in increasingly darker environments (e.g. flying past sunset into dark night), the display automatically dims and dims and dims and then suddenly jumps to bright.

dimBus Slope

The dimBus Slope sets the sensitivity of the display/bezel to the aircraft dimmer. Both the Bezel and Display fields have a range of 15 to 100, and the factory default is 60.

dimBus Minimum

The dimBus Minimum sets the minimum brightness when the aircraft dimmer is the dimming source. Both the Bezel and Display fields have a range of 1 to 50, and the factory default is 1.

dimBus Maximum

The dimBus Maximum sets the maximum brightness when the aircraft dimmer is the dimming source.  Both the Bezel and Display fields have a range of 50 to 100, and the factory default is 100.

dimBus Curve

The dimBus Curve sets the aircraft dimming bus to either a Proportional Curve or AviCurve on the IFD5XX.

The Proportional Curve tracks the aircraft lighting bus as follows: Maximum night lighting at maximum aircraft lighting bus voltage, Minimum night lighting at minimum aircraft lighting bus voltage (linear in-between).

Field

Selection

Bezel

Value displayed represents the current % brightness of the bezel backlighting

Display

Value displayed represents the current % brightness of the display backlighting

Mx Input

Photocell – Maintenance Mode will use this method if selected.  This is the default setting. This setting uses the Photocell on the IFD5XX bezel or display.

dimBus – Maintenance Mode will use this method if selected. This setting uses the aircraft lighting buss to control the lightning of the bezel or display.

For those who want to use the dimming bus, it's important to calibrate the dimming bus for the IFD.

Dimming Bus Calibration

The section will calibrate the IFD5XX to the aircraft avionics lighting bus.

Selection

Description

dimBus Type

DC – select this option if the dimming bus is a DC bus.

AC – select this option if the dimming bus is an AC bus.

The IFD needs to know the bus type in order to alter internal configuration as well as properly perform the calibration.

dimBus Max Voltage

Sets the maximum aircraft dimming bus voltage. Range is 0 – 28V.

dimBus Min Voltage

Sets the minimum aircraft dimming bus voltage. Range is 0 – 28V.

To calibrate the dimming bus:

1. Select desired dimBus Type;
  2. Select the dimBus Max Voltage field;
  3. Push the right bezel knob;
  4. Set the dimming bus to the maximum value (e.g. full clockwise position on dimming rheostat);
  5. Push the right bezel knob to store;

Repeat the process for the minimum value (use full counter-clockwise position of rheostat)

As for triggering the IFD540 generated audible alerts on the ground, there is no real way to do that until Rel 10.1 comes along in the spring.  We've tweaked the design to allow any adjustments to play the volume in your headsets when adjusting.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
skycobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skycobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 1:32pm

Appreciate the quick response.  So many features, so many things to learn but yet so much better than the 530.  Looking forward to Rel 10.1.

Thanks,

Al
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 2:27pm
OK, still two questions, it is just that I'm curious.

(Q1) If the following is undesirable ...

Quote Note: If it is not desired to hand brightness control over to the dimming bus from the photocell at any point, set dimBus Transition % to 0 (zero).

... what was the purpose of including that setting? Just kind of a development phase thing, that was largely orphaned, but still left in, or is there some special circumstance you might wish to use it?

(Q2) What is the purpose of treating the VOL, CDI & COM/VOR labels DIFFERENTLY from the rest of the labels? (the original question I posed, above)

*Orest

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 2:01pm
BUMP.

Was this ever answered?  Was there an explanation why some of the Bezel lighting is different?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 2:27pm
Hey Paul,

I don't know if Steve sent him an email directly or not. He's with the Air Force this week. I'll have him check to see if he answered it and post it here.

Thanks
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

BUMP.

Was this ever answered?  Was there an explanation why some of the Bezel lighting is different?

No, I never received a reply on that.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic