Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Software Release 10.0.3.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 4:03pm
Yep. Try this url and you should see three buttons on the right side.

http://dealers.avidyne.com

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 4:20pm
Steve:
The last time I had my A&P do the update and a logbook entry.
That update had step by step instructions.
Do you have the same formulated for this update?

Thanks

David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 4:39pm
Yes. The Service Bulletin for 10.0.3.0 exists. I'm out of the office right now but have an email in to the crew about getting easy access for those who do not have dealer log in.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 5:02pm
http://dealers.avidyne.com/
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

http://dealers.avidyne.com/

That apparently has the SIL and instructions IF you have a dealer login, otherwise not.
David Gates
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:13pm
David,

Someone had asked where they could download the actual update.  I was giving the site to download the file.  I do have a copy of the SIL with instructions which I got from Avidyne but I do not see how to upload a file in this forum
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:46pm
Gotcha.

I think it is good that you don't have to go back to a dealer for a thumb drive update, but can't proceed without the SIL.

David
David Gates
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 11:13am
It looks like the update directions are up now.
Question, the thumb drive that came with mine is still the same. Should everything be deleted from the drive before loading this new stuff on it ?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 11:44am
I deleted everything and formatted again to FAT 32   Update went fine.
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 11:49am
Ha, I don't have a clue what FAT32 is nor will my IA/dealer :-) I am just looking on the drive, seems like it's easy enough to just delete all the files I see....that shouldn't need a reformat should it ?
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Bad1996 Bad1996 wrote:

Ha, I don't have a clue what FAT32 is nor will my IA/dealer :-) I am just looking on the drive, seems like it's easy enough to just delete all the files I see....that shouldn't need a reformat should it ?

You don't have to know what FAT32 is to select it from a picklist.  If you decide to try to reformat it, use a Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 8.1 machine, stick the thumbdrive in a USB port, wait for it to show up as a drive on the computer, then right-click on it, select "Format", and make sure "FAT32" is selected as the file system in the dialog box that pops up.

Or, if you decide you don't need to reformat, you can just ignore this post. 

Edited by MysticCobra - 20 Feb 2015 at 12:04pm
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 12:39pm
So, the original question....does everything else need to be deleted ? I'm guessing that since you pick and choose the files to upload that it doesn't matter. But at some point (when?) should the drive be flushed ?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 1:12pm
If you're starting with a known good USB stick, you shouldn't need to delete or reformat.

However, that being said, the cleaner the better.  I would delete the files that exist (but not reformat).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 2:09pm
Made my first flight with 10.0.3 and all went well.  It was only about a 45 min flight but had no GPS loss events.  Thats a good sign
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 3:23pm
Tech support stressed being sure it was formatted to Fat 32. Since I wanted to start with a totally clean slate on the FOB I thought it easiest to reformat which also wipes the drive clean.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 5:20pm
It sounds like most installs of Rel 10.0.3.0 are going well.  There have been a few folks who have had issues.   Please let the person doing the upgrade know it it EXTREMELY important to follow the procedures in the Service Bulletin exactly.  There are a few critical steps highlighted in bold red font and anything out of order or skipped steps or not waiting the prescribed durations has the likelihood of going south.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 11:00pm
Got mine done. I was probably in the air headed to the shop (in the snow) so I didn't see your message Jake. Anyway, left everything on the thumb drive, downloaded the three files to the computer, dropped them on the drive. First file went in without a hitch. Second file failed the first time but went in on the second try (much quicker) and the third file went in fine. PROPS for the step by step instructions ! It's rare that instructions are written that well, plain English, easy to understand, no question about any step !
For those that will be doing this: It does take some time, we probably spent 45 minutes if not more in the airplane. In a shop, after the first time, I would just start it and come back every 5-10 minutes. On mine, 15 minutes or so was the "wait" time after the downloads. No complaints here, everything went well just don't think this is a ten minute deal. You WILL need a ground power source, don't expect your battery to make it all the way thru. I did (I think) have an issue in the air beforehand. Could be the box, could be me....I'll ask in another thread. Whatever the issue, it performed perfect after the update.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 11:25pm
I agree that the SIL instructions are extremely well written.  Every possible question I had was answered before I had it.  eg.  The install seems stalled at 100% progress......SIL " It is normal for the progress to remain at 100% for several minutes.  Wait until the install is complete message appears."   Great job Avidyne.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 7:12am
Patience is a must when doing these installs.  We get impatient and think it has stuck someplace.  I'll often start the upgrade then leave to BS with another Hangar tenant or go around the corner and get a sandwich from the deli.  This prevents me from "watching the clock".
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 9:33am
Yes, a watched update never completes!  ;-)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 21 Feb 2015 at 9:33am
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 2:02pm
Got my new toy back from the dealer. Playing this morning and checked system. The dealer said they had updated the software,but it shows software 10.0.2.0. .I attempted to go to the dealer site and received the bulletin, but no update found. I am an IA/A&P and should be able to accomplish this without taking the a/c back 150 miles for the update. Please help to resolve this problem.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 2:18pm
Hope you didn't get charged for that. Go to this page http://dealers.avidyne.com and look for the four buttons on the right side. Follow the Service Bulletin exactly.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 2:40pm
Must have been operator problem on my part. It downloaded this time.
I will go and try update. And yes there was a charge for that and probably a 
warranty charge also. This dealer is owned by TCM. I wouldn't recommend them
at this point. I also got a new circuit breaker for comm. The old one is in my 
possession and is good.
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 4:21pm
Thanks for your help. Once the download worked, everything else went like the service bulletin showed.
I will now go play with my new "updated" toy.
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 6:56pm
Another question. Is the Installation manual Rev 03 available to complete the
post-installation check-out procedure as stated in System Checkout.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 6:57pm
Should be. Let me check.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:32pm
No problem installing the update today, other than a temporary error message. But the new software eventually loaded fine.

I hope this will resolve my unit's tendency to reset in the first 10 minutes after powering up!

Mike
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 9:33am
Originally posted by George George wrote:

Another question. Is the Installation manual Rev 03 available to complete the
post-installation check-out procedure as stated in System Checkout.

Just checked on this and Rev 03 of the Install Manual is available at this spot:

http://www.avidyne.com/support/downloads/ifd-series.asp

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 11:09am
Thanks, that is the manual that is called for.
Another question, after the update the charts are gone. They 
were there when the box arrived at the shop. I saw them.
Called tech support and they say that the update erases the chart data.
Not good. After the update the nav data and obstacles are current(Mar 03).
This can't be right. I want the out of date charts to determine if it is worth 
the outlay to back up my ForeFlight with Jepp. I don't want to buy them to
see if I want them.(Pelosi style)
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:27pm
First I heard of charts evaporating after the update.   Let me check on a few things.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:43pm
Yeah my two units didn't update smoothly, but I just picked my plane up after getting #2 installed and it appears either the update or my RMA'd hardware mods deleted everything on it.

Checklists, settings, odometer, etc.

Just passing it along.
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 9:41pm
Has anyone attached a Bendix KT74 to the IFD 540? If so what 
was the selections for ADS-B operation. 
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:19am
Originally posted by roltman roltman wrote:

Yeah my two units didn't update smoothly, but I just picked my plane up after getting #2 installed and it appears either the update or my RMA'd hardware mods deleted everything on it.

Checklists, settings, odometer, etc.

Just passing it along.

Can you clarify what happened with the units?   There is no way the Rel 10.0.3.0 software upgrade should have wiped out checklists, settings, odometers, etc.      Are you saying the units also cycled through the factory for hardware mods?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:56am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Can you clarify what happened with the units?   There is no way the Rel 10.0.3.0 software upgrade should have wiped out checklists, settings, odometers, etc.      Are you saying the units also cycled through the factory for hardware mods?

Yeah, it went back for VHF check, OBS and not sure other mods a few weeks ago while the second unit was being installed.  It was then returned and updated to 10.0.3.0 with considerable effort (NOTE: putting it on a 28v instead test stand instead of the ship's 14v w/ APU seemed to make a huge difference when doing the updates).

Flew it home last evening and I was curious if the checklists cross-linked and when I pulled up the page it was blank.  I then started looking and the odometer and it was reset too.

The two units look almost identical now, not a big deal in my case as I added a 2nd unit and was going to reconfigure everything, but wanted to pass it along.
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:43pm
First flight after the update and no problems! No dropped GPS, everything went smoothly.
kansasdoc
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 2:10pm
Steve
Any update on the disappearing charts? I will probably continue on
and purchase a subscription without  checking them out on the
old charts. I just don't understand why they should have been erased.
I also hope that the next s/w update doesn't erase them,once I buy  them.

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 2:25pm
If you are talking about the approach charts, you have a never ending supply so if they are accidentally erased just reinstall them from your FOB.
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 3:33pm
That might work if the installer had not formatted my fob.
It was then attempted to update to 10.0.3.0 and apparently was 
unsuccessful. Once I got home and checked for the update, it was 
still at 10.0.2.0. I was successful in updating the s/w ,but the charts
are gone. The fob was empty when given to me.
Thanks , it was a good thought.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 6:00pm
George,  I thought you were asking what would happen if the charts accidentally got erased after you bought them.  Once you buy them, there will always be an update available on your JSUM site.  Even after downloading the current charts, the site does not toggle down to zero so if your charts got wiped out and the FOB was wiped out, simply download from JSUM again onto the FOB and reinstall.
wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:24pm
Worked just fine but patience is required.   bh
BH
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:59pm
Thanks guys for all the info. The problem has been resolved.
This is a very nice community of like minded people. I am 
glad to have participated in the pre-buy and have enjoyed the
forum. It goes without saying that Steve is a good person with
people skills that are unmatched.
Thanks again.
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:13pm
Second flight after my update today. I had to cycle the 540 three times to get any GPS signals. So on the forth start it saw satellites. According to tech support, this was an issue and the new software was supposed to fix this issue. When it finally worked it was pretty quick acquiring. I gave it over six minutes on the first start and gave up when the signal page wasn't doing anything.

Edited by Bad1996 - 27 Feb 2015 at 10:14pm
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 10:14am
After my update it took about 10-12 minutes before I had a GPS fix.
wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 10:35am
Originally posted by jhbehrens jhbehrens wrote:

After my update it took about 10-12 minutes before I had a GPS fix.

Just the first time?? BH
BH
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 3:24pm
I've sent an email to Jake and tech support but for others, I did see the same GPS loss issue multiple times on my flight today with 10.0.3 installed.  It seems I am the first to still be experiencing this after the software install.
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 4:21pm
Check the update page and be sure you have the update. My install
shop managed to update to the old level.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 6:36pm

I've sent an email to Jake and tech support but for others, I did see the same GPS loss issue multiple times on my flight today with 10.0.3 installed.  It seems I am the first to still be experiencing this after the software install.

There are well over 100+ folks who I know have upgraded.  I'm aware of about 3 who still see some type of GPS-related anomaly.

Teeth6 is the only one who we've ever heard that has a related issue where he gets terrain alerts for no good reason.  They are definitely GPS induced.   Has anybody else seen this before?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 6:57pm
I made 2 flights today.  It was the first flight where I saw multiple GPS loss events.  On my return flight I did not see any, however, I did see one other thing on the return that I have seen once before.  On the FltPlan page when I wanted to scroll down to go direct to another waypoint,  I was not able to scroll down.  I had to leave the fltplan page and then return and I was then able to scroll down.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 9:12pm

....On the FltPlan page when I wanted to scroll down to go direct to another waypoint,  I was not able to scroll down.  I had to leave the fltplan page and then return and I was then able to scroll down.

That is a known bug, believe it may be fixed in 10.1.

* Orest

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 9:31pm
Thanks, Orest.  I hadn't seen that one listed before.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic