Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Software Release 10.0.3.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 6:07pm
Richard, Just curious, could you describe your audio problem? I have a random, yet to be produced on the ground, xmit issue where ATC reports "syllables" drop, but the carrier transmission is strong and continuous with no static.
We've swapped antennas, next up is to swap inputs to PMA450 com1 vs com2 to isolate the new pma450 from ifd540.
helojunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helojunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

I would have your shop (or the hanger fairies), swap the GPS antenna's between the two units to see if it might be an antenna problem or antenna installation problem.  I have heard that if the 121.5 ELT antenna is close to the WAAS antenna, it can disrupt GPS reception.

In any case swap the antenna's to see if its the unit.  I bet its not. 

Thanks Tony - Great ideas, swapping the antennas was one of the first things that was tried as all new coax and antennas were installed with the units. No luck. 

As far as positioning of the GPS antennas - they are at the front of my Seneca right above the pilot/co-pilot and the 406Mhz ELT Antenna is about 25 feet behind them! The only thing close to the GPS antennas is the top fin for my 605A Traffic system.
Richard J. Sears
ATP ASMEL/Rotor
G-V, CE525S, CE500
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 5:06pm

I would have your shop (or the hanger fairies), swap the GPS antenna's between the two units to see if it might be an antenna problem or antenna installation problem.  I have heard that if the 121.5 ELT antenna is close to the WAAS antenna, it can disrupt GPS reception.

In any case swap the antenna's to see if its the unit.  I bet its not. 

helojunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helojunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by roy32jm roy32jm wrote:

On both of my flights with dual 540s, the number 1 has lost GPS signal a few minutes into the flight. After a couple minutes it returned to normal operation. Am I correct in understanding this update will address this issue? I find it interesting only 1 unit seems to have the issue.

I am having the exact same issue with my #1 540. Avionics shop pulled both 540s, shipped them to Avidyne, came back "no problems found" (was having audio issues as well), put everything back together...happened again first flight out of the gate yesterday....same #1 unit, same exact problem. 

(Running 10.0.2.0)

Edited by helojunkie - 30 Dec 2014 at 5:01pm
Richard J. Sears
ATP ASMEL/Rotor
G-V, CE525S, CE500
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 8:34am
(Release 10.0.3.0 Status Update - 23 Dec 2014)

Hit about a 2-week snag when the tests for the EGNOS fix indicated it needed more work.   Looking at a release near the end of January now.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
roy32jm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy32jm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 1:43pm
Steve, I will look up the data log procedure and try to get the data to you in the next day or two.
be on time, do what you say, finish what you start, say please and thank you
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 12:20pm
Roy,

We *should* be able to tell within a few minutes of getting a copy of your data logs.  Are you able to pull the logs and email them to us (you can use sjacobson@avidyne.com for ease)?  The procedures to do so are on page 6-32 of the pilot guide.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
roy32jm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy32jm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 10:33am
Ugh. Sounds like you think this an issue with the unit itself. Not a lot of time in my schedule to get the plane back to the avionics shop. It did exactly the same thing on an hour long flight yesterday.
FYI I am posting a question on your overview thread. I thought it would be seen there more and be relevant to others.
Thanks for your help.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 8:57am
Roy,

Have a peek at this thread:

... especially towards the end. There may be some relevance.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Dec 2014 at 8:57am
roy32jm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy32jm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 12:01am
Orestes, One time on each flight. Same unit both times. Both flights lasted about 30 min and both losses occurred about 10 min into the flight. By the time I retrieved my phone for a photo, the error was gone.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 9:13pm
Has it done this more than once during a flight?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 12 Dec 2014 at 9:14pm
roy32jm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy32jm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 7:12pm
On both of my flights with dual 540s, the number 1 has lost GPS signal a few minutes into the flight. After a couple minutes it returned to normal operation. Am I correct in understanding this update will address this issue? I find it interesting only 1 unit seems to have the issue.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 7:20am
You can "or" them.  They are standard discrete signals.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 2:01pm
Steve, given what Orest said, is the WOW signal an open collector so I can "or" them?  One from the IFD540 and one from the IFD440?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 1:47pm
The tech folks explained that the WOW line, if GPS is not active, that it will default to the last setting it had. Unfortunately, if the GPS fails on the ground, this will not allow the WOW to transition to "in air". Believe they have changed this logic to "in air" if no GPS, or something similar.

What has not been confirmed one way or the other, is whether the GS field on the RS232 interface will allow the AXP340 to decide how to squawk, independent of the WOW line.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 11 Dec 2014 at 1:49pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 1:44pm
will #4 address the issue that Orest had when his 340 thought it was on the ground and he couldn't control it from the front panel?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 9:47am
Right around the start of the new year, we will be releasing IFD540 Software Release 10.0.3.0.

Release 10.0.3.0 includes:

1.  Fix to an issue where the system was not properly handling EGNOS satellites in all circumstances;
2.  Fix to an issue with GPS where it was susceptible to resetting within the first 10 minutes of power application;
3.  Improves 8.33 kHz spacing selections/display;
4.  Changes the Weight-on-wheels transition definition to support the AXP340 ADS-B STC project;
5.  Fix to an issue that could reset the IFD if the flight plan consisted on 5 individual leg brackets on the same page.
6.  Fix to an internal issue with the I/O card software (for this, we will make it a "mandatory" software upgrade).

This will be a bug fix release and will be covered under warranty.  It will be a field-approved software update so no need to send units back to Avidyne.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic