Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Software Release 10.0.3.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 11:00pm
Got mine done. I was probably in the air headed to the shop (in the snow) so I didn't see your message Jake. Anyway, left everything on the thumb drive, downloaded the three files to the computer, dropped them on the drive. First file went in without a hitch. Second file failed the first time but went in on the second try (much quicker) and the third file went in fine. PROPS for the step by step instructions ! It's rare that instructions are written that well, plain English, easy to understand, no question about any step !
For those that will be doing this: It does take some time, we probably spent 45 minutes if not more in the airplane. In a shop, after the first time, I would just start it and come back every 5-10 minutes. On mine, 15 minutes or so was the "wait" time after the downloads. No complaints here, everything went well just don't think this is a ten minute deal. You WILL need a ground power source, don't expect your battery to make it all the way thru. I did (I think) have an issue in the air beforehand. Could be the box, could be me....I'll ask in another thread. Whatever the issue, it performed perfect after the update.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 5:20pm
It sounds like most installs of Rel 10.0.3.0 are going well.  There have been a few folks who have had issues.   Please let the person doing the upgrade know it it EXTREMELY important to follow the procedures in the Service Bulletin exactly.  There are a few critical steps highlighted in bold red font and anything out of order or skipped steps or not waiting the prescribed durations has the likelihood of going south.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 3:23pm
Tech support stressed being sure it was formatted to Fat 32. Since I wanted to start with a totally clean slate on the FOB I thought it easiest to reformat which also wipes the drive clean.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 2:09pm
Made my first flight with 10.0.3 and all went well.  It was only about a 45 min flight but had no GPS loss events.  Thats a good sign
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 1:12pm
If you're starting with a known good USB stick, you shouldn't need to delete or reformat.

However, that being said, the cleaner the better.  I would delete the files that exist (but not reformat).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 12:39pm
So, the original question....does everything else need to be deleted ? I'm guessing that since you pick and choose the files to upload that it doesn't matter. But at some point (when?) should the drive be flushed ?
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Bad1996 Bad1996 wrote:

Ha, I don't have a clue what FAT32 is nor will my IA/dealer :-) I am just looking on the drive, seems like it's easy enough to just delete all the files I see....that shouldn't need a reformat should it ?

You don't have to know what FAT32 is to select it from a picklist.  If you decide to try to reformat it, use a Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 8.1 machine, stick the thumbdrive in a USB port, wait for it to show up as a drive on the computer, then right-click on it, select "Format", and make sure "FAT32" is selected as the file system in the dialog box that pops up.

Or, if you decide you don't need to reformat, you can just ignore this post. 

Edited by MysticCobra - 20 Feb 2015 at 12:04pm
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 11:49am
Ha, I don't have a clue what FAT32 is nor will my IA/dealer :-) I am just looking on the drive, seems like it's easy enough to just delete all the files I see....that shouldn't need a reformat should it ?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 11:44am
I deleted everything and formatted again to FAT 32   Update went fine.
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 11:13am
It looks like the update directions are up now.
Question, the thumb drive that came with mine is still the same. Should everything be deleted from the drive before loading this new stuff on it ?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:46pm
Gotcha.

I think it is good that you don't have to go back to a dealer for a thumb drive update, but can't proceed without the SIL.

David
David Gates
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:13pm
David,

Someone had asked where they could download the actual update.  I was giving the site to download the file.  I do have a copy of the SIL with instructions which I got from Avidyne but I do not see how to upload a file in this forum
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

http://dealers.avidyne.com/

That apparently has the SIL and instructions IF you have a dealer login, otherwise not.
David Gates
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 5:02pm
http://dealers.avidyne.com/
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 4:39pm
Yes. The Service Bulletin for 10.0.3.0 exists. I'm out of the office right now but have an email in to the crew about getting easy access for those who do not have dealer log in.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 4:20pm
Steve:
The last time I had my A&P do the update and a logbook entry.
That update had step by step instructions.
Do you have the same formulated for this update?

Thanks

David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 4:03pm
Yep. Try this url and you should see three buttons on the right side.

http://dealers.avidyne.com

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 3:50pm
Can you provide the location where to find this information?  I'm supposed to be coming out of the shop tomorrow and I'd like to make sure they have a chance to update the software before I pick it up.  I registered for MyAvidyne, I was hoping I would find information there about updates since I had to enter the S/N, but I didn't find anything there.

I see that you said this will be on the dealer website.  Since you've previously stated we don't have to have this updated at the dealer, but an IA can do it as long as it is logged, is the dealer website available to me so I can download future updates for my IA?

Edited by brou0040 - 19 Feb 2015 at 3:51pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 8:29am
(Release 10.0.3.0 STC Status Update - 19 Feb 2015)

The FAA has just issued the STC approval for this release. The associated software and documentation should all be available on the dealer website later today.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 9:34am
Yes.  The same day we get STC, we'll have the software and all associated documentation (like updated Installation Manual and loading instruction Service Bulletin) on the dealer website for download.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 9:26am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

(Release 10.0.3.0 Status Update - 18 Feb 2015)

We just spoke with the FAA rep responsible for signing off the STC 5 min ago.  He believes they will issue a signed off STC tomorrow, 19 Feb.

Will 10.0.3 be available to dealers immediately afterwards? No pressure, just trying to schedule a bit of shop time, it would be nice to get it done before the weekend.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 9:10am

(Release 10.0.3.0 Status Update - 18 Feb 2015)

We just spoke with the FAA rep responsible for signing off the STC 5 min ago.  He believes they will issue a signed off STC tomorrow, 19 Feb.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
woody0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote woody0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 6:55am
How did the FAA paperwork process fare through the weather? My IFD540 is dropping GPS for about 25% of each flight, so I am really looking forward to the update.
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 9:26am
Steve,

Is the hardware part of the fix being taken care of before new units are shipped?  Mine is scheduled to ship next week, and I have a DME.  I'd really like for it to work. 

David
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 11:14am
AviJake,

Can you please confirm that we'll be able to send our units in at anytime they are still under warranty to get all hardware updates free of charge, even if they are not exhibiting issues on our units.  I dont' have a DME, but I want the hardware fix to prevent devaluing my unit if I ever decide to sell it.  As long as my functionality works fine, I'll wait until near the end of the warranty to ensure the hardware updates have stablized.

Thanks.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 8:16am
Correct. Serial DME fix is a two-part fix - one is software that is part of 10.0.3.0 and second part is hardware which requires a pass through our factory service center. Both parts are required for full serial DME functionality.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 4:04am
Wsh

Sounds like there is also an issue with dme tuning that requires a hardware fix.

http://www.avidyne.com/publications/ifd540/606-00182-008.pdf
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 2:25am
Can you answer my question?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 11:45pm
Yes, it was a euphemism. I don't know of any EGNOS sucess until this fix.

DAR inspection went off without a hitch this morning and the flight test sortie was also accomplished without a problem. We're now in FAA processing the paperwork mode and hope that will be done on Monday-ish. We are somewhat concerned the next blizzard which is inbound for Sunday may affect FAA ops on Monday but we'll have to wait and see.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 10:08pm
How did it go this morning?  Did Friday the 13th jinx the process?
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Fix to an issue where the system was not properly handling EGNOS satellites in all circumstances
Improves 8.33 kHz spacing selections/display;

Surely these are euphemisms for 
"Fix to an issue where EGNOS wasn't working at all in any circumstances"
"Added ability to tune 25 KHz frequencies when in 8.33 KHz mode"

Or have you found someone that was able to receive an EGNOS signal with 10.0.2.0?

Edited by jhbehrens - 13 Feb 2015 at 4:13pm
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 1:52am
I have a dme that is not working due to my 2ndifd. I was told to ship it back. Now I see that a dme issue is fixed with this software release??

Do i still need to ship the units back or will thesoftware fix this?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 7:04pm
DAR due in for conformity inspection 0900 Friday 13 Feb.   We're not superstitious.

As a review, the build content is:

1.  Fix to an issue where the system was not properly handling EGNOS satellites in all circumstances;
2.  Fix to an issue with GPS where it was susceptible to resetting within the first 10 minutes of power application;
3.  Improves 8.33 kHz spacing selections/display;
4.  Changes the Weight-on-wheels transition definition to support the AXP340 ADS-B STC project;
5.  Fix to an issue that could reset the IFD if the flight plan consisted on 5 individual leg brackets on the same page.
6.  Fix to an internal issue with the I/O card software (for this, we will make it a "mandatory" software upgrade) which was causing occasional GPS position loss.
7.  Adding enhanced GPS data logging.
8.  Fix to an issue that prevented serial DME functionality.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 12:27pm
Steve, Can you share the build content?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 9:29am
Excellent.  Thanks Steve
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 9:17am
(Release 10.0.3.0 Status Update - 12 Feb 2015)

The FAA has just issued TIA which clears the path for the next step on 10.0.3.0 cert. I won't bore you with the details but we should have STC sign off by Monday 16 Feb +/- 1 business day.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 11:55am
(Release 10.0.3.0 Status Update - 10 Feb 2015)

The snowstorms up in New England are taking a heavy toll.   The FAA office is closed again today and one rep who did answer his mobile phone told us now to expect the TIA signoff on Thursday.  So we're looking at a minimum 4 day slip now from the 5 Feb estimate.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 1:27pm
(Release 10.0.3.0 Status Update - 9 Feb 2015)

Due to the significant snowstorm pounding New England, the FAA did not open their MA Cert office today.  So, the expected sign offs the FAA were supposed to issue today has not (and likely will not) be issued today.  We hope this is just a one day slip due to wx.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 6:07pm
+1 on INFORMED

Edited by Leonard - 08 Feb 2015 at 6:09pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 8:05am
Thanks David but as you know, there's a small army behind me doing all the real work.   Hope your IFDs are treating you well.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
GRINGODS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRINGODS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 7:13pm
STEVE, YOU DO A GREAT JOB OF KEEPING US IN THE LOOP.....MOST IMPRESSIVE!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 2:06pm
(Release 10.0.3.0 Status Update - 5 Feb 2015)

We had the conversation with the FAA this morning.   We should have STC signoff during the week of 9 Feb.   It won't likely be before Tues, 10 Feb but shouldn't take until the end of the week.  So at this point, I would bound it (95% confidence level) between 10 and 12 Feb.  Will make another update if any interesting developments happen before then.  Fingers crossed.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 7:45pm
Thanks for the update.  Looking foward to it.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 6:15pm
Thanks.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 4:39pm
(Release 10.0.3.0 Status Update - 4 Feb 2015)

We delayed the final data submission to the FAA when we experienced some problems in our final software testing.  It turns out it was a misunderstanding of the test results on our end.  There was no problem, just a false-negative.   Once we sorted that out (took a few days), the rest of the operation went fine.

We turned in the last of the data package to the FAA yesterday (3 Feb) and are waiting on STC approval.  We do have TSO approval for 10.0.3.0 but without the STC, it doesn't do anyone much good.  We expect to get a prediction on sign off date from the FAA tomorrow morning.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 3:50pm
Anything new you can report on the release date of 10.0.3, presently?

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 9:20am
If you are not affected by the items listed in the first post of this thread, then no, you don't need to take 10.0.3.0 and can wait until Release 10.1.0.0 (a lot of new features/functions) comes out in the spring.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 11:34pm
Steve:

I had the 10.0.2 update and that cured all the GPS signal problems I was having. Do I really need to load 10.0.3?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:36am
(Release 10.0.3.0 Status Update - 13 January 2015)

We're in final software test-for-credit now.   We are on track for an end of January cert and release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
helojunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helojunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by roltman roltman wrote:

Richard, Just curious, could you describe your audio problem? I have a random, yet to be produced on the ground, xmit issue where ATC reports "syllables" drop, but the carrier transmission is strong and continuous with no static.
We've swapped antennas, next up is to swap inputs to PMA450 com1 vs com2 to isolate the new pma450 from ifd540.

You bet - 

I was flying enroute from Phoenix (KDVT) to Carlsbad (KCRQ) and lost the ability to communicate with ATC on either 540. Other aircraft had to act as the go-between for us.

These are two brand new 540s, new installs, new wiring, new coax, new antennas, new trays, new transponder (340), new TAS605, new everything. The shop checked out all of the aircraft wiring and antennas and then shipped both units back to Avidyne. They were returned with "no problems found". 

We upgraded to 10.0.2.0 and interesting enough have not had the problem since. Granted I have only flown it about five hours since, but they seemed to function great in that regard. 

Edited by helojunkie - 30 Dec 2014 at 6:18pm
Richard J. Sears
ATP ASMEL/Rotor
G-V, CE525S, CE500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic