Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Autopilot capabilities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 8:08pm
Here's one common example of what GPSS roll steering offers:

Many small aircraft have a single-axis  autopilot that works with a combination of desired heading (where the bug on the heading indicator is set) and GPS CDI needle deflection.  If HI shows right of course, and the CDI needle shows right of course, the autopilot will input a left roll to try to correct.

This setup allows the aircraft to follow a straight course line, but at the next GPS waypoint with a heading change, the pilot needs to adjust the bug on the HI appropriately for the system to track that next, different, straight course line.  This setup will not allow the aircraft to follow a curved path in the flight plan, at least not without the pilot continually adjusting the HI bug, which is not really practical.

With GPSS, the dependency on the heading indicator bug is removed.  Now, with no action required from the pilot, the autopilot can smoothly fly all the turns in the GPS's flight plan, including course reversals, holding patterns, DME arcs, etc.  Pilot just sits back and watches.

It's a very nice feature.  Just expensive.

Edited by MysticCobra - 31 Oct 2013 at 8:09pm
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 5:38pm
GPSS processing takes advantage of the GPS' knowledge of your current and future course, ground speed and ground track.  Combined with WAAS, precise information is available about current location so that a track can be followed exactly.  Turns are anticipated, so there's no overshoot when course changes with waypoint passage.  GPSS will fly accurate holds with crosswinds and with a capable autopilot will make smooth and seamless transitions from enroute to approach modes right to the runway threshold.  You will have to manage your own altitude unless the a/p has a glideslope capability. 

As a 530 replacement, I don't consider it reasonable to expect GPSS built into the 540.

Edited by phkmn - 31 Oct 2013 at 5:39pm
PH
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

GPSS is amazing.

The IFD 540 is (supposedly) amazing.  The amount of money I'm spending on all of this is really amazing.  For the benefit of those of us who have never flown in a GA aircraft with GPSS, could you please provide a bit more information?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 4:00pm
GPSS is amazing.
David Gates
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 2:23pm
Paul,

I expect the IFD 540 to behave like a GNS 430W in this respect, and the key to determining your GPSS options will be the capabilities and input requirements of the AP…. but one never knows what surprise Avidyne might have up their sleeves.

I have a 430W and Sandel HSI feeding an STEC GPSS which in turn feeds an STEC 30 AP. The GPSS is a stand-alone unit with just a square push-button on the panel that toggles between 2 modes: HDG & GPSS and determines the nav source: AC/DC heading error or GPS roll steering data. The STEC 30 has 4 roll modes: Stabilizer (which is controlled by turn left/right knob), Heading, and Lo/Hi Track. The AP is normally set in HD mode as long as the 430W is producing GPS roll steering data (i.e. following a flight plan or approach procedure), and the GPSS should be in GPSS mode. The GPS roll steering output is wonderful and will make lovely smooth DME arcs, intercepts, turn anticipation, etc, following a GPS overlay of a VOR/LOC proc. If the GPSS is in HDG mode, then the HSI/DG heading bug output is used if the AP is in heading mode or 430W VOR/LOC AC/DC heading error if the AP is in Lo/Hi Track mode (Lo for VOR, Hi for LOC/ILS). I'm not sure, but I suppose that in this case the GPSS is in a sort of pass-through mode of the heading error signal to the AP.

I'm certain that once you have seen GPSS performance, you won't want to be without it due to the accuracy and functionality of the GPS roll steering data. If I recall correctly, the STEC GPSS was about $1000 and really gets the most out of a GPS. I'm not familiar with the capabilities of the Icarus or DAC units. I don't know if the STEC GPSS unit will only mate with a rate-based AP like STEC produces, but perhaps the AC/DC heading error signal is standardised and accepted by both rate and attitude based AP's.

Vince

Vince
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 12:21pm
The autopilot in my aircraft, a KAP 140, does not provide GPSS roll steering.  It sounds like the IFD 540 will not give me this capability (although I would like that confirmed by Avidyne).  I can see four choices, in order from most to least expensive:
  1. Install an Aspen PFD.
  2. Install an Icarus SAM.
  3. Install a DAC GDC31.
  4. Don't have roll steering.

Is roll steering is worthwhile in a Cessna 172 with a single axis autopilot?

Which of these could be installed with the IFD 540 in a certificated 172?

The Icarus has a display and some capabilities that the DAC does not.  It also requires panel space which would be difficult to come by.  Does the IFD 540 have features which make the Icarus' extra capabilities redundant?

If I'm going to add this capability I would prefer to do it when the IFD 540 is installed.  That saves on installation costs.  And the pilot won't have to deal with the panel changing twice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic