Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reception conflict with SPOT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reception conflict with SPOT
    Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 8:51am
There have been various reports now of SPOT generated GPS reception interference with GTNs. Anybody seen this with their IFDs?

I used SPOT with the older GNS unit, never had an issue. I use InReach now, do don't know if the IFDs are subject to this.

Just a head's up.

* Orest
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:38pm
Interesting. I have a SPOT, but haven't tested it for interference. I'll see if I can dig it out and report back.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:20pm
I fly with a spot on the dash and have never noticed an issue. I have it always tracking when I'm flying if that matters.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:28pm
Very good, so this may be a G problem only. Odd.

* Orest
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 9:38am
I reminded myself that Gary Reeves also flies with one and hasn't reported any issues.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 9:47am
We have SPOT TRACE in the baggage compartment, no issues with IFD440 or the GNS430. One time we had GPS integrity issue that was due to a handheld marine band radio that was clipped to the headliner (right under the WAAS GPS antenna). The issue was resolved by moving the radio away from the antenna.
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 9:53am
The WAAS GPS units are quite sensitive, and i have seen interference to GPS reception caused by some older aviation radios on certain frequencies as well as by marine band transceivers when using hand-held units, or when their external antennas were close to the GPS antennas.
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic