Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - TIS-B / FIS-B Display
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TIS-B / FIS-B Display

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
roltman View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 04 Aug 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 173
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TIS-B / FIS-B Display
    Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 3:33pm
I believe the very old Garmin GDL90 and a newer Freeflight Rangr unit are the only TSO'd UAT transceivers. 

How well will the IFD-540 interface with either of these units on launch day?

I'm not 100% sure if all UAT or 1090ES receivers create data a standardized ARINC 429 dataset for FIS-B and TIS-B, but anyway, I'd be interested in a FIS-B/TIS-B display solution.
Back to Top
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln MA
Status: Offline
Points: 2815
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 4:56pm
We agree that UAT support would be a great add to the IFD540. 

UAT support is not part of the initial product release, nor has been announced as a follow-on feature/capability.  We want to stay focused and disciplined on existing product definition in order to bring the product to market as soon as we can.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Back to Top
SteveMcD View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 Dec 2013
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 19
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 10:59am
Recently I added L-3 Lynx to my panel, alongside my IFD540. I fly in Canada, where FIS-B and TIS-B are available along the border, and at increasing altitudes farther away. I noticed this week that I was getting a "no TIS-B" symbol and thick lines drawn across my display. These lines degraded the usability of the display, especially any other blue lines such as control zones. I figured out that tapping the Wx Overlay button and turning off the weather display fixed the problem, but I will have to remember to turn it back on again when in coverage. Assuming that "no TIS-B" and the lines are related, I suggest one of two things:
1. The "no TIS-B" symbol is sufficient to indicate that I'm not getting it.
2. Make the lines a lot less intrusive.

See photo.

Thanks.

Steve

PS I tried to upload an image but got an error that I will forward to the admin.
Back to Top
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Location: Melbourne, FL
Status: Offline
Points: 379
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 11:04am
Originally posted by SteveMcD SteveMcD wrote:

Recently I added L-3 Lynx to my panel, alongside my IFD540. I fly in Canada, where FIS-B and TIS-B are available along the border, and at increasing altitudes farther away. I noticed this week that I was getting a "no TIS-B" symbol and thick lines drawn across my display. These lines degraded the usability of the display, especially any other blue lines such as control zones. I figured out that tapping the Wx Overlay button and turning off the weather display fixed the problem, but I will have to remember to turn it back on again when in coverage. Assuming that "no TIS-B" and the lines are related, I suggest one of two things:
1. The "no TIS-B" symbol is sufficient to indicate that I'm not getting it.
2. Make the lines a lot less intrusive.

See photo.

Thanks.

Steve

PS I tried to upload an image but got an error that I will forward to the admin.
We know about the image upload problem and that's still being worked - for whatever reason very slowly :(
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Back to Top
SteveMcD View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 Dec 2013
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 19
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 11:06am
Originally posted by SteveMcD SteveMcD wrote:

PS I tried to upload an image but got an error that I will forward to the admin.

OK, I don't see how to report to the administrator. Here is the message that I get when I tried to upload the image (348K):

Server Error in Forum Application
An error has occurred while uploading file/image.
Please check the Dundas Upload Component is installed on the server.
Please contact the Forum Administrator.

Support Error Code:- err_SQLServer_create_Dundas_Upload_object
File Name:- functions_upload.asp
Forum Version:- 12.01
Back to Top
eallevato View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 04 Apr 2018
Location: Northridge, CA
Status: Offline
Points: 18
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 2:22pm
Hi

I was on the ground with GPS fix and I took this screen shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hymr15gs3h0bl9h/20180402_171838_HDR.jpg?dl=0


Notice the "No TIS-B", yet there are 3 Traffic targets displayed near me.

What is going on?


Gene


Gene
Back to Top
HenryM View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 157
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:03pm
Could it be you're receiving UAT transponders directly? Some of the cheaper ADS-B Out solutions (e.g. Garmin GDL-82, Navworx, etc.) sniff the aircrafts transponder and then send out a UAT signal that could be picked up by the SkyTrax 100.
Back to Top
eallevato View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 04 Apr 2018
Location: Northridge, CA
Status: Offline
Points: 18
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

Could it be you're receiving UAT transponders directly? Some of the cheaper ADS-B Out solutions (e.g. Garmin GDL-82, Navworx, etc.) sniff the aircrafts transponder and then send out a UAT signal that could be picked up by the SkyTrax 100.

I should have mentioned that the 540 is interfaced to a GTX345.

Gene
Gene
Back to Top
eallevato View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 04 Apr 2018
Location: Northridge, CA
Status: Offline
Points: 18
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:32pm

My understanding is that TIS-B (Traffic) is transmitted on both 978 and 1090 MHz.  The GTX345 ADS-B In receiver is dual link so it can pick up traffic from either frequency, so it should not matter if Traffic info comes in at 978, it is still TIS-B.

I asked the question with Tech support over 3 weeks ago, but no response.

Gene
Gene
Back to Top
HenryM View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 157
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:33pm
Then the GTX-345 is receiving the traffic directly from planes flying near you. TIS-B stands for Traffic Information System - Broadcast and refers to the signal broadcast by the ADS-B towers. You are not receiveing that information on the ground, hence the “No TIS-B”. However, the GTX-345 has a dual band receiver that can receive traffic directly from planes with ADS-B Out capabilities. 

Update: Posting at the same time as you. I don’t know for sure about the TIS-B reference. The transponder should know what the data source is, in order to be able to deduplicate information coming from the tower and directly from another plane. 


Edited by HenryM - 01 May 2018 at 4:35pm
Back to Top
eallevato View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 04 Apr 2018
Location: Northridge, CA
Status: Offline
Points: 18
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 6:10pm
Thanks HenryM.  It sounds like once I am in the air the "No TIS-B" warning should go away.

Gene
Gene
Back to Top
HenryM View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 157
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 7:03pm
FYI, when I'm in the air, I often get some sort of datalink error when there are no AIRMETS or SIGMETS being transmitted over some period of time. This started with 10.2.1. The alert stays on all the time after it comes on, and thus the AUX button is always lit up. If there are actual significant weather reports, then the alert goes away. To me, this is a flaw in handling the alert. The IFD is alerting that it hasn't received any significant weather reports in the last 10 or 20 minutes. However, it doesn't let me clear the alert once I acknowledge it. We'll see if Avidyne does anything about it. FIS-B also has its quirks.
Back to Top
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Location: Melbourne, FL
Status: Offline
Points: 379
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

FYI, when I'm in the air, I often get some sort of datalink error when there are no AIRMETS or SIGMETS being transmitted over some period of time. This started with 10.2.1. The alert stays on all the time after it comes on, and thus the AUX button is always lit up. If there are actual significant weather reports, then the alert goes away. To me, this is a flaw in handling the alert. The IFD is alerting that it hasn't received any significant weather reports in the last 10 or 20 minutes. However, it doesn't let me clear the alert once I acknowledge it. We'll see if Avidyne does anything about it. FIS-B also has its quirks.
We're aware of it and are working on a solution.  At this point, it's in the 10.3 plan.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Back to Top
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Location: Melbourne, FL
Status: Offline
Points: 379
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 11:33am
Originally posted by SteveMcD SteveMcD wrote:

Originally posted by SteveMcD SteveMcD wrote:

PS I tried to upload an image but got an error that I will forward to the admin.

OK, I don't see how to report to the administrator. Here is the message that I get when I tried to upload the image (348K):

Server Error in Forum Application
An error has occurred while uploading file/image.
Please check the Dundas Upload Component is installed on the server.
Please contact the Forum Administrator.

Support Error Code:- err_SQLServer_create_Dundas_Upload_object
File Name:- functions_upload.asp
Forum Version:- 12.01
Image uploads are now fixed.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.055 seconds.