Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FltPlan.com Go supports IFD series?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FltPlan.com Go supports IFD series?
    Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 8:50pm
I was updating my FltPlan.com App on my Ipday and noticed that the latest version supports Avdyne Avionics.  I did not find any detail on what support is added, but looking forward to finding out!

Edited by fritz - 10 Mar 2016 at 8:51pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 12:03am
That update is still not out on the android version, should be real soon. They tend to leapfrog each other.

Be sure to tell us what you find out.

* Orest

{EDIT: android FltPlan version is out now}

Edited by oskrypuch - 30 Mar 2016 at 1:24pm
petersk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 11:14pm
Perhaps you read the 'Avidyne Insider's Edition' newsletter which came out yesterday, it reported as follows on this subject: 

FltPlan Go running on an iPad, Android tablet, and Windows 10 tablet can wirelessly display GPS position and flight plan information from the Avidyne IFD540 or IFD440 running the current v10.1 or later software. Many additional capabilities will be added in a future IFD software release for the IFD540/440.

Keith Peterson
Cardinal Flyers
Cardinal RG N177KP
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 9:10am
Originally posted by petersk petersk wrote:

Perhaps you read the 'Avidyne Insider's Edition' newsletter which came out yesterday, it reported as follows on this subject: 

FltPlan Go running on an iPad, Android tablet, and Windows 10 tablet can wirelessly display GPS position and flight plan information from the Avidyne IFD540 or IFD440 running the current v10.1 or later software. Many additional capabilities will be added in a future IFD software release for the IFD540/440.

Welcome to the forum Keith!

The iPad app has been released by Fltplan.com. I believe they are working on the other 2 platforms as we speak.

I've tested the iPad version in the lab and its pretty sweet.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:13pm
Fltplan GO, with support for the IFDs, Android version is just released.

Looks like you go to External Devices, and just select the IFD?

Will try it this afternoon.

* Orest

montauk1989 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montauk1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 1:38pm
I've linked my iPad mini to the 540.   As soon as I do, I get a message from FltPlanGo that the link is lost, or something like that, but the green icon indicates I have a connection.

So if I have a connection, what should I be able to do?   Can I export a flight plan from the Ipad mini to the 540?   Does the mini get the flight plan from the 540?   I can't find any instructions about it.

thanks
Dave

skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 6:34pm
Orest,

Did you ever connect your Android FltPlan Go to your IFD540? I tried a couple of times with no luck. Haven't seen any instructions on how to do that.

Thanks,
Theo
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 6:42pm
Yes, it works fine. Instructions are in the PG.

The control screen seems a little flakey yet, in the FPG app, but all you need to do is set the tick mark, and just leave it. You don't need to re-engage it, even the next time.

Of course you have to join the IFD hotspot first. If you don't see the hotspot, you may have been hit with the disappearing Wifi bug. It need to be recalibrated, I have posted about it here, a simple USB file update.

Password is abcdef1234, IIRC.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 27 Apr 2016 at 9:13pm
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 6:45pm
I didn't see how to join the hotspot without a password.  
Do you just select the hotspot and let FPG take care of authentication?

What am I missing?

Thanks again...

EDIT: I see you added the important info after I wrote my reply...

Edited by skitheo - 27 Apr 2016 at 6:47pm
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 6:50pm
Further, don't you have an NGT-9000 and an IFD540. If so, to which one do you connect your tablet WIFI? 

I had mine connected to the NGT last night and saw lots of great info. Nice to watch the airliners 20kft above flying over on your map. To say nothing of weather info.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by skitheo skitheo wrote:

Further, don't you have an NGT-9000 and an IFD540. If so, to which one do you connect your tablet WIFI? 

I had mine connected to the NGT last night and saw lots of great info. Nice to watch the airliners 20kft above flying over on your map. To say nothing of weather info.

No, I have an AXP322, remote mounted.

I have no ADS-B IN presently, and may not get any. I have weather through XM, and TAS605 for traffic.

Reportedly the IFDs will be able to function both as a hotspot, and as a client. So if you do have an ADS-B IN device acting as a hot spot, that should work, with 10.2.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 27 Apr 2016 at 7:05pm
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 7:06pm
That's right. You're a northern neighbor. ;-)

Where do I find the WiFi password documented?

Edited by skitheo - 27 Apr 2016 at 7:08pm
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 7:11pm
password for the LIO_WiFi (password is abcdef1234)
Ed
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 9:01pm
Here's some info that may be helpful from Fltplan.com:

Below is an overview of what the user sees when (after connecting to your unit in the device Settings) they open our app and tap the External tab to connect to Avidyne:

·         They will see a red message flash (usually to quickly to read) saying “iPad GPS or ADS-B disconnected”

·         Then a green message flashes saying “Connected to Avidyne” (again very brief display)

·         At this point they will see a green indicator next to the word Connected

The user shouldn’t need to do anything else at this point to receive the GPS data as long as the iPad is set up with Location Services enabled and our app has Display Ship Position enabled (default in our app).

There’s also a button on the External tab at the top of the right column that toggles the use of the Avidyne GPS and the iPad internal GPS.  The default is going to be to use the Avidyne’s GPS.

Additionally, we will be creating more detailed instructions for using Avidyne avionics with the Go app in the very near future.

We’d be happy to assist the customer directly and cc you on the correspondence if that helps.

You can have the customer write to either tech@fltplan.com or support@fltplan.com.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 9:08pm
Steve,

That is info for the Ipad app, so translates only loosely. In the android app on the external devices page there is a list of possible connections, and you have to select Avidyne. You then leave that tick box selected.

Wifi to the IFD does have to be explicitly connected first.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 27 Apr 2016 at 9:11pm
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 12:46pm
Orest,
You were correct. You do have to wait for the app to connect for a long time. Tried it out in the hangar last night. I gave up and shut down master, looking down at the tablet just in time to see the FPG Externals screen change from "Connected" back to "Connecting". 

Bummer. Didn't have a chance to see what information I could get from the IFD. From what I understand, it's just position and flight plans. 

Thinking I'll connect the IFD to get the flight plan and then switch back to the NGT for the rest of the flight for updates. Hope the 10.2 release will allow the IFD to receive FIS-B in addition to TIS-B from the NGT via WiFi. I wonder if it will pass through the data to a mobile app?

BTW, Steve, thanks for passing along the info from FltPlan.com support. I'll email them.

Thanks again Orest,
Theo

EDIT: WIFI password in previous posts is correct for LIO_WiFi. 

Edited by skitheo - 28 Apr 2016 at 1:07pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montauk1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 8:05am
That's exactly what I see.   So once I'm connected, I can do what?   I've searched through the fltplango manual and found one reference to Avidyne in the external devices section.

Can I transfer flight plans?

Am I missing something?   If all I can do is connect the Avidyne to fltplango, what's the point? 

thanks
Dave

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Here's some info that may be helpful from Fltplan.com:

Below is an overview of what the user sees when (after connecting to your unit in the device Settings) they open our app and tap the External tab to connect to Avidyne:

·         They will see a red message flash (usually to quickly to read) saying “iPad GPS or ADS-B disconnected”

·         Then a green message flashes saying “Connected to Avidyne” (again very brief display)

·         At this point they will see a green indicator next to the word Connected

The user shouldn’t need to do anything else at this point to receive the GPS data as long as the iPad is set up with Location Services enabled and our app has Display Ship Position enabled (default in our app).

There’s also a button on the External tab at the top of the right column that toggles the use of the Avidyne GPS and the iPad internal GPS.  The default is going to be to use the Avidyne’s GPS.

Additionally, we will be creating more detailed instructions for using Avidyne avionics with the Go app in the very near future.

We’d be happy to assist the customer directly and cc you on the correspondence if that helps.

You can have the customer write to either tech@fltplan.com or support@fltplan.com.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:11am
Originally posted by montauk1989 montauk1989 wrote:

That's exactly what I see.   So once I'm connected, I can do what?   I've searched through the fltplango manual and found one reference to Avidyne in the external devices section.

With 10.1.x you can connect, get a GPS location, and download the active IFD flightplan to your tablet. 10.2 introduces two communication, so a lot more will be possible then, and ADS-B data flow is apparently on the plate as well.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montauk1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:45am
Thanks, so the next question is:
How do I download the flightplan from the 540 to fltplango on the ipad mini?  Is it automatic?  I haven't seen it transfer.   Sorry for all the questions but I can't find any documents that tell me what to do or what to expect.    Are there any documents that describe this from either fltpro or avidyne?   

thanks

Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Originally posted by montauk1989 montauk1989 wrote:

With 10.1.x you can connect, get a GPS location, and download the active IFD flightplan to your tablet. 10.2 introduces two communication, so a lot more will be possible then, and ADS-B data flow is apparently on the plate as well.

* Orest

Edited by montauk1989 - 03 May 2016 at 9:46am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 10:32am
I can only tell you what you do in the android version, a double headed arrow appears on the MAP page, you click it, and the routing updates. It is likely similar on the iThingy.

* Orest

skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 12:39pm
So that's what the double-headed arrow button does. I got very frustrated with FPG locking up the screen "Downloading document list" while in flight. Took me about an hour of re-tries to get rid of that. Fortunately, I had another mobile device with GPS & ADS-B data from an NGT-9000.

BTW, the IFD540 was a huge risk reducer flying into southern Oregon mountains at night having never flown in the area. Definitely reduces workload and uncertainty. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montauk1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

I can only tell you what you do in the android version, a double headed arrow appears on the MAP page, you click it, and the routing updates. It is likely similar on the iThingy.

* Orest

Thanks. 
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 10:06am
I think this is an Avidyne question, but it may be for FltPlan.

I was flying with the IFD connected to FltPlan Go on my Android yesterday.  It seemed like it was connected to Avidyne just fine (there was a short period of time when the position stopped updating while I was on approach) but I was able to sync the flight plans - usually.  What I found is that if I didn't actually change the flight plan, but instead hit direct to a future fix on the IFD, FltPlan Go would not accept this change.  I could hit the double arrow box, but it was not responsive to downloading from Avidyne.  It was as if the download from Avidyne button was not active, it wouldn't respond to touching it, only closing the dialog box responded.  I was getting GPS updates during this time.  I'm wondering if this is because the flight plan didn't actually change?  I'm not sure if there was something more to this.
M20Kid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 11:14pm
I just found the FltPlan Go app on my IPaid yesterday and tried to connect to the 540, but the wifi didn't show up in the available list on my device.  Someone posted about a 'disappearing Wifi bug' but I can't find anything about that either.

Am I just device challenged?  Or is there something magical about getting the IPaid to talk to the 540?
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 7:08pm
You need to turn on wifi on the maintenance page, see page 110 of the installation manual (http://www.avidyne.com/files/downloads/600-00299-000.pdf).

Once that is turned on, you need to make sure that wifi and/or bluetooth are on from the user options aux page when in flight mode.  See pages 4-37 through 4-42 of the pilots guide (http://www.avidyne.com/files/downloads/600-00300-001-draft.pdf).

Once that is enabled, from your device, you need to connect to the Avidyne network, see page 1-44 of the pilots guide.

Once that is done, from inside Fltplan Go, you go to external and select Avidyne and it should connect.

Once you show you are connected on the external page, to download the route from your IFD, go to route on the maps page (of your tablet) and you'll see a blue box with white arrows.  Hit that and it will give you the option to download the flight plan from Avidyne.  Currently this is a one way manual download, not an automatic sync.  This will be improving with new software versions from both Avidyne and FltPlan.

Edited by brou0040 - 21 May 2016 at 7:09pm
Paul64p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul64p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 9:38pm

Sir Need a little clarification on Turning on the WIFI   looking at my Manual Page 110

it has 2 Pictures   one shows Software and the other shows Fan Status   We have Rev 5 manual

Looked on the Pages before and after this and could not find any reference to turning on WIFI

We Need to turn on Wifi but after looking Yesterday on the Maintance Page we could Not find it there

found this forum tonight and your reply to some one else having the same Issue as US.  Spent all day yesterday getting the new installation Programed.  with some minor issues we were able to figure out on our own   it is now up and running    we got the IFD540 ,  AXP340 and the MLB100

Thanks for your Help

Paul64p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul64p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 10:16pm

OOOPs   I guess the manual (On CD ) that came with the unit last Month was NOT the Latest Rev

it said 5 and I just found a Rev 07 online and it had the information about setting up the WIFI

Sorry    just assumed   new unit new CD should have latest Software   guess I was wrong

again Sorry

Paul

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic