Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turn Off Traffic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turn Off Traffic
    Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 7:56pm
I recently conducted a "flight of two"with a friend.  Both of us are ADS-B equipped.  Due to our proximity, I was constantly being presented with traffic alerts.

I know that, as an avionics technician, I could "disconnect" the traffic before flight by turning off the ARINC 429 input port in Maintenance Mode.  But my question is if there is a way for a regular pilot to turn off the traffic features (while in normal operating mode) for one flight?

David Bunin

Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 9:15pm
I don't think so in regular mode, pretty easy to put it in maintenance mode to turn it off. Even in the air.
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 9:47pm
Sounds like what is really appropriate is a means to ignore certain targets.  Like those you are flying in formation with...
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 7:12am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

I recently conducted a "flight of two"with a friend.  Both of us are ADS-B equipped.  Due to our proximity, I was constantly being presented with traffic alerts.

I know that, as an avionics technician, I could "disconnect" the traffic before flight by turning off the ARINC 429 input port in Maintenance Mode.  But my question is if there is a way for a regular pilot to turn off the traffic features (while in normal operating mode) for one flight?

David Bunin

When I fly formation, I pull the circuit breaker of my traffic system. Simple and effective.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 7:17am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

When I fly formation, I pull the circuit breaker of my traffic system. Simple and effective.

"Simple" I agree with, but since there are other targets in the sky besides one's wingman, this sounds like throwing the baby out with the bathwater to me, rather than "effective".

I like the idea of being able to mute alerts related to a specific target.  My portable ADSB traffic system allows that.

Edited by MysticCobra - 07 Mar 2016 at 7:18am
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 9:43am
That may be true for lead, but if you are a wingman in formation you aren't looking inside for anything.  As a wingman your transponder should be off anyway which would eliminate the traffic conflict.

It sounds like you may not be flying true "formation", but rather in close proximity to another aircraft.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 11:55am
Fair enough; I didn't catch the distinction between the previous post's "flight of two" vs. your "formation".  I should not have used the word "wingman", either.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 12:23pm
Quote When I fly formation, I pull the circuit breaker of my traffic system. Simple and effective.

Not so simple for me.  My airplane is not equipped with pullable breakers.

Quote pretty easy to put it in maintenance mode to turn it off. Even in the air.

I thought Maintenance Mode was inhibited in the air.  I know I've had trouble getting bench-test units to behave "on ground" if the test equipment has it "flying".

Quote I like the idea of being able to mute alerts related to a specific target.

I like that too.  I'll see if I can find the feature-request thread to add it.

David Bunin
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Quote When I fly formation, I pull the circuit breaker of my traffic system. Simple and effective.

Not so simple for me.  My airplane is not equipped with pullable breakers.

Quote pretty easy to put it in maintenance mode to turn it off. Even in the air.

I thought Maintenance Mode was inhibited in the air.  I know I've had trouble getting bench-test units to behave "on ground" if the test equipment has it "flying".

Quote I like the idea of being able to mute alerts related to a specific target.

I like that too.  I'll see if I can find the feature-request thread to add it.

David Bunin

Correct, you can't go into MX mode in the air.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic