Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Missed approach using vectors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missed approach using vectors
    Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 7:17am

Greetings! I'm close to being a new owner of an IFD540 (it's being installed even as we speak), and I'm very excited!!

While trying things out on the simulator and reading the manual, I couldn't find instructions on what to do for the following scenario, which happens to me all the time when practicing approaches:

ATC usually gives me "missed approach instructions" to follow, rather than having me fly the published missed (unless I ask for it).

What's the proper procedure for dealing with this on the IFD? Either when flying to an IAF on my own, or with vectors to final? And then, how do I sequence back for another go at it?

I can't figure out how to fly a VTF approach on the simulator to try it, because I can't deactivate the autopilot - maybe I'm missing something?

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 8:51am
The simulator will always just follow your FMS laid out course, so you can't fully simulate custom missed instructions.

In the air, you just use your navigation instruments as usual, fly a heading, to a navaid, etc.

To sequence to the published miss, you must be on the FMS page, and then push the MISSED soft key, bottom left. You can, in the user settings, set it to auto-sequence on reaching the MAP.

There is also another option usually shown, on a soft key, to try the approach again, which will sequence your flight plan back the IAF.

Is that your question?

* Orest

DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 9:05am
I think if ATC gave you a custom miss that takes you to a waypoint (as opposed to instructions to "Fly Heading XXX") then you could enter that waypoint into the IFD flight plan (after the published miss) and then go direct-to the waypoint you entered when you miss.

If the instructions are to fly a heading and climb to an altitude, then you're outside (off) the IFD flight plan no matter what you do.

David Bunin
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 9:19am
As Orest said, the simulator doesn't provide a way for you to control your own headings. It will simply fly what you have programmed, using its own headings. 

So, if you want to practice a VTF approach you have to outsmart the sim by starting in the right place.

For example, if you want to practice an ILS to runway 36, start your simulated flight at a different airport about 10-20 miles southeast or southwest of the approach airport. Program the IFD540 sim with the origin and destination, then set up and activate the VTF to the ILS36. The IFD540 will show the extended final approach course of 36 and the simulator will take off, intercept the approach, and fly it. The only thing you're missing is the ATC vectors in your headset.

The sim won't do the GPS -> VLOC transition either. It doesn't seem to know about VORs and localizers.

Anyone know how to turn off the simulated traffic in the sim? The little airplane symbols buzz around like flies and are very distracting.

Mike
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 9:56am
bcool,

Others have already stated what to do with custom missed approach instructions.  Since altitude terminated legs and vectors are already supported in published missed approaches, I've requested a new feature that would allow the user to add these types of custom missed approaches into the flight plan.  The 540 has all the UI/buttonology required to do this (probably not supported by software in this manner), and already has the software to fly these instructions.
bcool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 11:24am

OK, I think I see what will happen if I'm doing a VTF approach. After going missed, hit the LSK for 'Try Again', following ATC's instructions to get me back to the approach.

I was wondering if it would keep the last approach active if I went missed, and it does...so it's cool :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic