Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Avionics shop bricked my 540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avionics shop bricked my 540
    Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 11:42am
Took aircraft to the avionics shop who installed my IFD-540,340 & 240 to get some post install items taken care of. This is a authorised Avidyne dealer. Also wanted to get the Aspen ACU parallel with 540 done and 10.1.1 software installed. Had to lead the tech to the proper page & notes about the parallel thanks to this forum. Tech took about a hour to research all this before even starting the wiring! Probably about another hour doing the wire reroute. Then they started in one the software update. Again were not knowledgable about the update or installation. Finally got all there notes together and downloads ( after borrowing my usb stick to use). Started the upload and all seemed to go well. All files present. Started the conformity checker and got a error. They didn't know what to do so called Avidyne tech support. He suggested doing the upload again. This time the 10.1.1 data  produced errors. Avidyne says to try again, same result. So Avidyne then says to go back and download 10.1 to start all over! While starting doing this, pulling 540 out, opening up and removing chip. Then downloading to chip, reinstalling in 540 and returning 540 to aircraft. Well you guessed it, when 540 returned to aircraft it was toast. Only got splash screen and would not reboot to any mode. About this time the avionics manager says this is why his shop doesn't like Avidyne all that much!

I was amazed at the lack of knowledge and expertise by a authorized dealer. I felt like I new more about the equipment and install than they did. I know I could have done the software update better. Now to be fair it could of have been corrupt file download and not installer error. Hopefully Avidyne will do the right thing and overnight me a replacement box on Monday.

Will be looking for a new shop to care of Avidyne issues in the future.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 12:59pm
Yikes!

Sorry about your experience.  Better to do the updates yourself and have a local AI sign them off, or at least that is what I have done.
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Yikes!

Sorry about your experience.  Better to do the updates yourself and have a local AI sign them off, or at least that is what I have done.

That is what I did with 10.1.1, it was pretty simple.

With the mult-step complexity, I let my shop do 10.1, but they had no trouble. Very meticulous about procedures.

Odd comment by the shop (above), just trying to hide their own inadequacies.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Feb 2016 at 1:03pm
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 3:21pm
I did 10.1 and 10.1.1 and just made sure I followed the excellent step by step instructions. This is not rocket science, but this is not something you do while multi-tasking. You just patiently wait for it to do its thing and then do the next step.

Edited by LANCE - 20 Feb 2016 at 3:22pm
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 6:03pm

My experience parallels David's and Orest's.  I spoke with my shop, which is about a 30 minute flight away, and they agreed with my doing the installs of the 10.1.1 software, as long as they could do the verification.

All completed very easily using the clear instructions provided, and the shop used its time productively as did I, verifying that things were good and clearing up a few setup items from other issues with ADSB.

So my trip to the shop was kept  to a minimum time, and minimum pain.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 10:29pm
That's a sweet deal for the shop -- they get to bill Avidyne for the time that you spent doing the upgrade.
Craig767 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Craig767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 9:28pm
Just to give a thumbs up to Avidyne. Overnighed a replacement unit on Monday and received today. Very good customer support.

Craig
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 9:57am
I'm so happy with my IFD540, 240 & 340 in my 172.  Yes, we had some early model issues, but with rubber banding, METARs, INFO, touch screen, zoom, and wow IFR - just follow the magenta line!  My CFI Instrument check instructor was amazed.  Except for the flight school at our airport I bought more fuel than anyone else - and at 8 gph  Gad! flying is easy now.
JWJ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic