Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic issue on "New" 540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traffic issue on "New" 540
    Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 7:40pm
I had to have Avidyne swap my 540 for an exchange unit, which arrived a few days ago.  I have an MLB-100 in the airplane and my original 540 received traffic and weather.  Now with the exchange unit in place, the 429 data is not coming through.  My current understanding is that the Weather products come on a different line and only traffic comes on the 429 data line.

The same person did the original installation and the exchange.  He said he took pictures of all the configuration pages and then set them up to be the same.  Assuming the installer is correct, is there any reason why the 429 data would not be visible on an exchanged 540?  I know, for instance, that there were three hardware updates that were included since my original radio was manufactured in March 2015.  Could one of those hardware changes affected the 429 data?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 7:45pm
No, that would not be the case.  Can you get us the datalogs (all of them)?  We can look at them and see if the IFD has been properly configured for MLB100 traffic.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
M20Kid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 8:49am
Steve, I think we found the issue.  The installer (same guy who did the initial installation) had a hard time getting the 540 to seat properly.  He took out the 240 and the 340 to get a solid fit for the 540.  All the data appears to be working properly now, but that's based on a 1 minute ground run.  I'll go fly in the next few days and let you know if there still appears to be an issue.  If so, I'll download the datalogs at that point and send them over.

Thank you for your input!
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 9:49pm
Any updates ?
M20Kid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 9:24pm
I did finally get a chance to go fly and found everything worked as expected.  I flew about 1.5 hours and shot some instrument approaches (VMC, of course); everything worked so I was happy with the 'fix'.  I was a bit annoyed to find him unable to reseat the radio without uninstalling others around it.  He did the initial install so if something needs to be opened up a bit, I'm sure he can figure out how to do that.  Otherwise, I think I'm back in business.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 7:25pm
Does the MLB100 when wired into a 540, give audio traffic alerts or do you only see the target on the map?  My installer tells me the MLB100 does not give audio alerts but from some of the threads here, it sounds like there is audio?
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Does the MLB100 when wired into a 540, give audio traffic alerts or do you only see the target on the map?  My installer tells me the MLB100 does not give audio alerts but from some of the threads here, it sounds like there is audio?
From this post:

Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Correct, we don't yet supply aural alerts for the MLB100 Traffic. It's currently slated for 10.2.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 10:04pm
Awesome. Does my shop need to do any special wiring in advance to allow for the audio or will it simply be a software release that will work with the standard installation?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 9:37am
If you currently have the audio wired up for the terrain alerts, then there is no other audio wiring that will need to be done to receive the traffic alerts.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 6:50pm
After flying with the MLB100 over the weekend, I have a couple of questions as no manual came with it.
 1.The traffic displays on both my top and bottom 540s which I wanted but is it possible to turn traffic off and on as desired.  I keep my bottom 540 on a 120 mile range and the screen is cluttered with traffic so I'd like to be able to turn it off but do not see that option anywhere.
2. I know audio alerts are coming with traffic in 10.2  Is it possible direction arrows for traffic will also be coming?
3. I have XM weather to my top 540 and the ADSB to my bottom 540 but is there anywhere on screen that confirms where the weather is coming from?  I noticed that the metars, tafs, winds aloft, and temps aloft all time dated exactly the same on the top and bottom.  When I have no winds aloft on top, I also have no winds aloft on the bottom.  Is this just a coincidence as I would expect the weather sources to be independent?
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 11:19pm
Regarding #3...
On the screen that shows the age of each piece of weather data, there is a data field just below that on the right side that shows the data source.  Mine says ADS-B Wx.  If you have XM, it will show the subscription level.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 8:46am
Thanks. I believe that is on one of the AUX pages. I'll check it out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 1:33pm
AUX rocker to the SYS tab, then Select hot button (LSK3) to Datalink.

In the simulator, the service level (weather type) is WSI "Professional" subscription.  I circled it in red here.

Edited by DavidBunin - 13 Mar 2016 at 1:34pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

1.The traffic displays on both my top and bottom 540s which I wanted but is it possible to turn traffic off and on as desired.  I keep my bottom 540 on a 120 mile range and the screen is cluttered with traffic so I'd like to be able to turn it off but do not see that option anywhere.

Regarding the bold (my emphasis) above; I recently made a feature request for a future software release to be able to quiet alerts from a single target (wingman).  Since the thumbnail already has a sort of mode-selection capability (Above/Normal/Below/Unrestricted) it seems like there could be an "OFF" selection there too.

I will add that to the feature request thread.

David Bunin

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 1:46pm
Thanks. Both my boxes still say the Sirius service in that spot, even though the bottom should be ADSB. I'll have that checked.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 2:21pm
If both data sources are wired in, the IFD has a priority for each source (and naturally, both IFDs will have the same priorities).  The solution will be to not wire (or perhaps not configure) the higher-priority input at the IFD.

David Bunin

Jack Seubert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 3:36pm
Don't confuse me with somebody who knows about this, but there is a note on page 3-20 of the PG which Avidyne recommends wiring one weather source to one IFD and the other weather source to the second IFD.  I don't know if the MLB uses the RS-232 interface, but the GDL-69 sure does and with the CrossSync selected to sharing, all the RS-232 data is shared by both IFD's.  I tried numerous times to get the Sirius weather to display on both IFD's by configuring each one to receive the weather and could not get it to work.  Turn off GDL-69 on one or the other and bingo, I got weather on both.

Jack Seubert
Jack Seubert
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 7:22am
The control for the thumbnail traffic seems to have no affect on the traffic display on the map.  Even when changing the settings on the thumbnail, it appears the traffic on the map view does not change.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic