Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with ConUS WxRdr - Fixed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abb330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with ConUS WxRdr - Fixed
    Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:59am
On my IFD540, whenever I select ConUS WxRdr on the weather overlay, I get a series of grey parallel lines covering 100% of the display.
They look like the lines you get with a radar outage, but this happens on every flight, every time I have flown in the past 2 months (since the IFD540 was installed).
It does not matter what range I have on the map display, the lines cover 100% of the screen.
Actual weather does appear (red, yellow, green radar) underneath the parallel lines, but the lines are so distracting, they make the display almost unusable.
If I deselect ConUS WxRdr and select RGNL WxRdr, I get a good clear (no lines) display within approximately 100 miles of the airplane position.
Beyond the 100 miles or so, I again show the grey parallel lines, but in this case I believe those areas are outside of the "regional" view.
Any comments?
I have an MLB100 installed along with the IFD540/440 and DFC90.
Thanks.

Edited by AviJake - 02 Feb 2016 at 6:12pm
Andy
2005 Cirrus SR22
540/440 DFC90
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 11:17am
This has to do with the different limitations on ADS-B Conus and Regional weather products.

Are you seeing the same "hatched" image in the same area and altitude every time? Are you receiving ADS-B information at all times (ie are you always in range of a tower)? 
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
abb330 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abb330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 11:30am
Hi Simpson,
Yes, I am seeing the grey same parallel lines covering 100% of the display at all times when I have ConUS WxRdr selected.
I have flown almost 20 flights all across the country in the past 2 months since the 540/440 and MLB100 were installed.  Mainly from the east coast to just east of the Rockies and from the Gulf Coast to the Canadian border.
I have been at various altitudes from a few thousand feet to in the teens.  I always appear to be in ADS-B coverage.
The only thing that changes is the width of the grey parallel lines depending on the scale you have selected on the 540, but they always cover the complete display.
Small scale, lines are thicker, far scale lines are thinner.
Dave at NexAir has seen the exact same thing on a different airplane.  He has pictures of the display he took as well as the ones I took.
Please discuss this with him.
I am getting the weather product from ADS-B because the radar color images still appear, the metars flags still appear etc..., but the grey lines are always there.
It makes the display basically unusable to view.
The lines "look" like the lines you see on the XM weather product when you are in an area of no coverage.
I appreciate any help you can offer.
Thanks.
Andy
Andy
2005 Cirrus SR22
540/440 DFC90
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:10pm
Thanks go to Andy (and his surrogate Dave Fetherston) who  kept the pressure up on this issue. 

I'm sad to report that we discovered today that we have a bug in the IFD code that handled CONUS weather from the MLB100. 

I'm pleased to report that we have found and fixed that bug today.

The problem was in how we handled the extra compressed CONUS data in the IFD.  From what I can tell, the issue was contained to just a combination of MLB100 and an IFD440 or IFD540 and then only when trying to display MLB100 CONUS radar on the IFD map.

I'm working on an answer as to what release we'll fix this in.   We have a lot of complicated factors on that question that I'm trying to work out and will post an update when they have been resolved.

In the meantime, the problem can be avoided by using Regional NexRad instead of CONUS NexRad.  We apologize for the PITA factor this issue has caused some folks.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
abb330 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abb330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:14pm
Thanks Steve,
I'm glad you discovered a cause and are working on the fix.
Please keep me (and Dave) informed.
Andy
Andy
2005 Cirrus SR22
540/440 DFC90
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 6:14pm
Will do Andy.  BTW, I just tweaked the title of the post to reflect the fix status.

We think we'll be able to spin a minor release called Release 10.1.2.0 that contains this fix in the next few weeks.  Standby for confirmation.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
centerforcekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centerforcekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 7:57pm
Is there a way to get on the notification list.  I had the same issue  in my Seneca II
thank you!
Pat
Seneca II
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 8:20pm
Hi Pat,

Whether you like it or not, you will be on the distro list.

We're all done with the software.  We're all done with the paperwork.  We're waiting on the FAA rep to review the docs and either give us feedback or sign it off.

As soon as it has FAA signoff, we're going to inundate all customers with the info that 10.1.2 is done and available.  You will likely see a few email blasts with the "it's available" notice.

For all other readers, 10.1.2 only does something for you if you have an IFD440 or 540 and an MLB100 ADS-B In receiver (and use CONUS nexrad data).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 9:40am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Hi Pat,
For all other readers, 10.1.2 only does something for you if you have an IFD440 or 540 and an MLB100 ADS-B In receiver (and use CONUS nexrad data).

For those of us that don't currently have a MLB100, should we go ahead with this update so that it's taken care of if/when we add a MLB100 in the future, or will this also be included in a future major update like 10.2 or subsequent update?
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 10:49am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

10.1.2 only does something for you if you have an IFD440 or 540 and an MLB100 ADS-B In receiver (and use CONUS nexrad data).

I have that configuration, and I have witnessed this problem, but I figured that was just "the way it is" with the national radar.  My airplane isn't fast enough to outrun the 250-mile regional circle of meaningful weather data anyway, so I don't use the national view very much in-situ.  In fact, I mostly use it during local flights to show other people how the ADS-B system works (on days when there isn't any weather around here to look at).

So I will be happy to load 10.1.2 once it's out, and let the forum know how it goes for me.  But it's not like my operation is "suffering" with the current functionality.

David Bunin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 3:24pm
Release 10.1.2 has been approved. The software update addresses this issue. Please contact your Avidyne dealer to update your unit.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Bjohnson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bjohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 4:36pm
Is there any way we can do these software updates ourselves without having to fly to an Avidyne authorized service center?
Brian J.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Bjohnson Bjohnson wrote:

Is there any way we can do these software updates ourselves without having to fly to an Avidyne authorized service center?

You just need a sign off. I did 10.1.1 myself as it was simple, and they printed up a strip for my logs. But, I have a very good working relationship with the shop, not everyone may do that.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Mar 2016 at 4:59pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 5:02pm
I do my own.  My A&P signs it off.
David Gates
Bjohnson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bjohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 5:02pm
Thanks. I will talk to my avionics guys. I know they feel badly as well when I have to fly down for these updates. I'm afraid these will be endless
Brian J.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 11:00pm
Just installed 10.1.2. Very simple and straightforward if you follow the instructions line by line.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 11:14pm
Today I loaded software version 10.1.2.0 in my IFD-540 and new software in my MLB100.  As far as I know, this brings everything up to the latest/greatest versions.

No problems with either software load.

I haven't flown it yet, because by the time I was done it was getting dark and I prefer to do any return-to-service flights in daylight.

David Bunin

Edited by DavidBunin - 14 Mar 2016 at 11:40am
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 2:47pm
Is there a change history for 10.1.2 somewhere?  What, exactly, is in this release, Simpson?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 2:52pm
There are 2 noteworthy items in 10.1.2, A fix to the issue regarding displaying ConUS weather on the IFD and an issue with CrossSync in dual IFD installations.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 2:57pm
Great!  What were the symptoms that have been corrected?  I have 2 IFDs.  The only thing I've seen recently was a traffic fault.  I plan to pull the logs on that one since it lasted for an entire flight.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

There are 2 noteworthy items in 10.1.2, A fix to the issue regarding displaying ConUS weather on the IFD and an issue with CrossSync in dual IFD installations.

I have 10.1.2 installed and still have lines when i have Regional Radar displayed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic