Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Installation Setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installation Setup
    Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 6:40pm
I've got a couple of questions concerning the proper configuration settings on the Main RS232 Setup Page of the IFD440.  I just replaced my #1 Garmin 430 non-WAAS with an IFD440 in my SR22.  For additional background, I have a newly-installed ACK A-30.9 blind encoder, installed for compatibility with my L3 9000+ transponder that a few months ago replaced the non-ADS-B compliant Garmin 327. Previously, on the Garmin 430's Main RS232 Config setup page, the Channel 1 input was set to "Icarus-Alt" and output to"Aviation." 

Here's my first question: Are the following settings correct?  I plan to set the IFD440's RS232 Channel 1 output to "Off"(instead of "Aviation") since I no longer have the Garmin 327 installed, and since the L3 9000+ has its own direct connection with the A-30 encoder. I plan to set Channel 1 input to "Icarus-alt" as it was with the Garmin 430, on the theory that the IFD440 has use for the blind encoder input, perhaps for automatic leg sequencing as discussed on p42 on the install manual.  (I ask primarily because nowhere in the install manual or pilot's guide that I could find is there a reference to the IFD440's need for this channel input.)

Second question: I have an Airtex ME406 installed (with which the IFD440 is compatible, per p41).  On p191 of the IFD install manual, the wiring diagram shows a connection between the IFD's RS232 Channel 2 Out and the ME406 ELT Input.  Yet I see no option for setting this connection up on the Main RS232 Config setup instructions for channel outputs on p93-94 of the install manual.  Consequently, I have no RS232 channel output set to the ME406 as a result.  Of the choices for Channel outputs listed on p93-94, is there one that should be selected to ensure the IFD440 RS232 output is connected to the input on the ME406, as depicted on the wiring diagram on p191?
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 1:04pm
I think in the SR22, there are things other than the GTX327 that are using the "Aviation" output on Channel 1.  I recommend that you continue to output that data on that channel.  I also recommend adding the new ELT to that circuit to share the output.

There is nothing magical about the channel numbers (expect possibly for Channel 3).  The installation manual usually has a note on the figure about using any available port.

David Bunin

Edited by DavidBunin - 25 Jan 2016 at 1:04pm
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

I've got a couple of questions concerning the proper configuration settings on the Main RS232 Setup Page of the IFD440.  I just replaced my #1 Garmin 430 non-WAAS with an IFD440 in my SR22.  For additional background, I have a newly-installed ACK A-30.9 blind encoder, installed for compatibility with my L3 9000+ transponder that a few months ago replaced the non-ADS-B compliant Garmin 327. Previously, on the Garmin 430's Main RS232 Config setup page, the Channel 1 input was set to "Icarus-Alt" and output to"Aviation." 

Here's my first question: Are the following settings correct?  I plan to set the IFD440's RS232 Channel 1 output to "Off"(instead of "Aviation") since I no longer have the Garmin 327 installed, and since the L3 9000+ has its own direct connection with the A-30 encoder. I plan to set Channel 1 input to "Icarus-alt" as it was with the Garmin 430, on the theory that the IFD440 has use for the blind encoder input, perhaps for automatic leg sequencing as discussed on p42 on the install manual.  (I ask primarily because nowhere in the install manual or pilot's guide that I could find is there a reference to the IFD440's need for this channel input.)

Second question: I have an Airtex ME406 installed (with which the IFD440 is compatible, per p41).  On p191 of the IFD install manual, the wiring diagram shows a connection between the IFD's RS232 Channel 2 Out and the ME406 ELT Input.  Yet I see no option for setting this connection up on the Main RS232 Config setup instructions for channel outputs on p93-94 of the install manual.  Consequently, I have no RS232 channel output set to the ME406 as a result.  Of the choices for Channel outputs listed on p93-94, is there one that should be selected to ensure the IFD440 RS232 output is connected to the input on the ME406, as depicted on the wiring diagram on p191?

First, welcome to the forums!

Secondly, our Tech Support team would like to help you with your configuration questions. At your convenience can you contact them at 888-723-7592 or techsupp(at)avidyne.com? 
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 4:58pm
Thanks David and Simpson.  I called the tech number you provided, Simpson, and the tech who answered is going to research both questions and get back to me.  I'll post his answers to this thread when I get them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic