Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Adding user waypoints thru USB or Garmin Pilot?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adding user waypoints thru USB or Garmin Pilot?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoadve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding user waypoints thru USB or Garmin Pilot?
    Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 7:10am
New user here.
Is it possible to add user waypoints thru the USB port or with Garmin pilot?

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 5:03am
Yes, via sim & usb port. U can create the wpts on the sim, then restart the sim in maint mode w the usb attached & download the wpts in maint mode to the usb. Then take the usb to the a/c & if u start w usb in, it will start in maint mode & u can upload to the unit.

The wpt file is in the format BKdate.00x. I don't recall offhand which 00x is the wpt file, but there is a thread on this if you do a search.

Edited by chflyer - 24 Jan 2016 at 5:07am
Vince
motoadve View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoadve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 7:39am
By sim you mean simulator in the PC?
How do I start in in maint mode?
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:31am
It's a separate program. That is why you need to create the wpts in the normal sim before you close it and start the maint version of the sim to download them to the usb.

Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:38am
BTW, I've checked and the wpts file is BKyymmdd.002 (unless you create 2 in the same day, in which case I believe the 2nd is BKyymmdd.012). Backed up routes are BKyymmdd.003 and backed up settings are BKyymmdd.001.
Vince
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 9:41pm
Is there a required format for User Waypoints - Must they begin WP*** or can they be P**** or VP*** (like for "Pass" or "Visual Point")?

I am having trouble transferring User Waypoints via thumb drive from PC sim to 540's.

Tom Wolf
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 5:51am
There is no required format other than the restriction to 5 chars, as mentioned in the 540 PG p2-38 (600-00300-001 Rev 02). For my local field, I have added a number of VRP's using the last 2 char of the ICAO code plus the reporting point, e.g. LSZK Echo is named ZKE, with the full LSZK Echo in the longer description field. I have also added a number of arbitrary 5-char names for local towns ... e.g. HINWL for Hinwil.

What kind of trouble are you having? You need to let the sim maint program create the waypoint file/name and I suspect that the 540 won't recognize it on the usb if the file name has been changed. Also, uploading the wpt file to the 540 will replace whatever wpts you had on the 540 (i.e. it is a replace, not merge). So you need to be sure that you keep the wpts on the 540 and sim in sync or you'll find yourself losing wpts.

My approach is to ALWAYS start by downloading current wpts from 540 to usb, then uploading from usb to the sim before adding any wpts on the sim. That way, I'm sure that no 540 wpts are lost when I transfer back from sim to 540. Otherwise, it is easy to create wpts on the 540 and then forget when creating wpts on the sim that it is no longer sync'd with the 540 and you end up overwriting the wpts that you had created on the 540.

Edited by chflyer - 27 Jan 2016 at 5:53am
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 6:07am
Steve,

I have a suggestion for a next release.

In the 540 PG section on user wpts, there is a paragraph that says:
"Some external EFIS systems (e.g. Bendix King EFS 40/50, Collins Pro Line 21, etc) can also create and send user waypoints to the IFD. When the waypoint data is received from the external EFIS, the IFD will automatically switch to the WPT tab if not already there."

This implies a public protocol between these EFIS systems and the IFD, that could just as easily be implemented on a tablet app and allow creating user wpts on the tablet app and shipping over to the IFD via wifi rather than the very fine and useful functionality but cumbersome and only offline sim process using usb stick to download/upload/modify/download/upload.

I have been asking without success since day 1 (i.e. 2-year 540 pre-order) to have VRP wpts in the Jepp nav db. There are hundreds of these in Europe and adding them and keeping them up to date is a extremely time-consuming effort that could be better spent. I have a tablet app (in this case PocketFMS Easy VFR) that contains ALL the European VRP's as a standard part of the nav data. If the EFIS capability described above were available via wifi, I'm sure the PocketFMS team could add a function to pump these over to the 540 via wifi using the EFIS protocol.

Vince
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 11:10am
Vince,
Thanks for sharing your experience.  I do the same, saving the 540 to Thumb drive first, then restoring to the PC before the reverse after mods.

I was trying to rename waypoints with more logical titles, changing the previously entered Mtn Passes and Visual Points to begin as "P"---- and VP---.

I think the failure of the 540 to restore the name changes may be that it is the same Wpt otherwise.  If that is true, I think I have to do the name changing in the hangar, not the PC.

Tom Wolf

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 1:11pm
Tom,

Interesting observation. I can't say that I've tried to change only the name of an existing wpt via the sim process, but I'll give it a try when I get a chance and let you know if I have the same experience. Your suspicion may well be correct.

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Steve,

I have a suggestion for a next release.

In the 540 PG section on user wpts, there is a paragraph that says:
"Some external EFIS systems (e.g. Bendix King EFS 40/50, Collins Pro Line 21, etc) can also create and send user waypoints to the IFD. When the waypoint data is received from the external EFIS, the IFD will automatically switch to the WPT tab if not already there."

This implies a public protocol between these EFIS systems and the IFD, that could just as easily be implemented on a tablet app and allow creating user wpts on the tablet app and shipping over to the IFD via wifi rather than the very fine and useful functionality but cumbersome and only offline sim process using usb stick to download/upload/modify/download/upload.

I have been asking without success since day 1 (i.e. 2-year 540 pre-order) to have VRP wpts in the Jepp nav db. There are hundreds of these in Europe and adding them and keeping them up to date is a extremely time-consuming effort that could be better spent. I have a tablet app (in this case PocketFMS Easy VFR) that contains ALL the European VRP's as a standard part of the nav data. If the EFIS capability described above were available via wifi, I'm sure the PocketFMS team could add a function to pump these over to the 540 via wifi using the EFIS protocol.

Understood, and yes, we'll have that capability shortly.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 10:36pm
Vince,
Discovered that when I restore my Waypoints with logical names back fro PC to 540, all Waypoint Names on the 540 are changed to begin with "U"...

So, looks like the 540 requires User waypoints to begin with "U", and then lists alphabetically by description name.

Tom Wolf 
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 2:39am
Tom,

Interesting. What software release do you have on the 540? I am running 10.1.0.0.

The 540 definitely does NOT require user wpts to begin with "U". I have a long list of user wpts that don't, and most of them were created on the sim. They start with anything from "A" to "Z".

Edited by chflyer - 28 Jan 2016 at 2:39am
Vince
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 10:42am
Vince,
My 540's are both at v10.1.1.  Using the 540's, I can modify any waypoint using any letter to begin a waypoint, but conversely, when I restore from the PC waypoint file (with various starting letters), the newly restored file on the 540's are all converted to begin with letter "U"... go figure.  Maybe this is a new function/glitch in v10.1.1??

Any comment from Steve Jacobson...

Tom

Edited by n7ifr - 28 Jan 2016 at 10:45am
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 10:57am
Yeah, sounds to me like a bug introduced with 10.1.1. I can't imagine that this would be a "feature".

Is the entire wpt name overwritten, or only just the first letter replaced with a "U"?

Edited by chflyer - 28 Jan 2016 at 10:58am
Vince
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 11:01am
Not the full name, just the first ID name begins with "U".

Tom
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 7:33pm
Went back to plane (hangar flying) with newly modified user waypoints from PC Sim on thumb drive.

All mods to/from 540/PC Sim and vice versa work... not sure what I didn't do earlier, but all is good now, and PC Sim <--> 540 waypoint changes work with any letter prefixes.  Not a problem with v10.1.1.

Tom Wolf 
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 6:43am
Whew. Good to hear, as I'll be migrating from v10.1.0.0 to v10.1.1.0 shortly. I'll be backing up the wpts in advance and certainly don't want to lose them all when I restore.

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:38am
Yes, glad to hear too.  I've been watching this one and the earlier reports did not match anything we've seen or designed.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic