Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Squelch Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squelch Issues
    Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 12:13pm
The squelch on my new IFD540.IFD440 seems to go off randomly, almost constantly when descending. It is most noticeable when descending from 10,000 feet to 5,000 feet. Doesn't seem to happen when ascending or in straight and level flight. Is anyone else having the issue or perhaps a solution to the problem?
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 5:59pm
Did you install a new comm antenna with the new radio?  If not, has the bonding between the antenna and fuselage been checked?
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 6:25pm
I have never had this problem.  I set my squelch on install and never looked back.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by lolsen94 lolsen94 wrote:

The squelch on my new IFD540.IFD440 seems to go off randomly, almost constantly when descending. It is most noticeable when descending from 10,000 feet to 5,000 feet. Doesn't seem to happen when ascending or in straight and level flight. Is anyone else having the issue or perhaps a solution to the problem?

Another new one for us.  Never heard this before.    It's been quite a Friday....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by lolsen94 lolsen94 wrote:

The squelch on my new IFD540. IFD440 seems to go off randomly, almost constantly when descending. It is most noticeable when descending from 10,000 feet to 5,000 feet. Doesn't seem to happen when ascending or in straight and level flight. Is anyone else having the issue or perhaps a solution to the problem?

I have two IFD440 and after updating to 10.1.1.0, COM2 Rx is now permanent on both active and standby frequencies regardless if there's really a transmission. Didn't notice at installer because COM2 was tuned to field AWOS. Received fine, assumed all okay and COM1 was good Rx/Tx. Flew home, switched to Unicom and heard constant static. Switched to COM1 same frequency and all worked well. Odd because this was only a software change. Didn't make it back to installer today, hope it's just a squelch sensitivity thing... but don't really see that described in the Pilot Guide.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 7:53am

Originally posted by TomH TomH wrote:

I have two IFD440 and after updating to 10.1.1.0, COM2 Rx is now permanent on...

Sounds like you just need to hold the volume (power) knob in for two seconds to turn the automatic squelch feature back on.

Part of the software update procedure is to do a soft reset of the box (hold the volume/power button for ten seconds) and it is quite easy to accidentally disable the squelch feature while doing a software load if you "dumb thumb" the button.

Don't ask how I know. :)

David Bunin

dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 1:34pm
In reading the string you mentioned auto squelch? I am having some static on the number two radio and wondered if I fat thumbed that also ? Is there somewhere in the pilots guide that references the auto squelch feature?
dpcraig
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 3:34pm
From page 4-2 of change 2 (600-00300-001).  Note: Although the text below is referencing the volume page, you do not need to be on the Volume Control of the Audio Tab to turn the squelch on/off.  IIRC, you just push the power button to toggle this setting.  This should help TomH, but I don't think it applies to lolsen94.

Volume Control 

The bottom right IFD knob controls row selection, volume adjust, and squelch or ID on/off control or in some cases (e.g. Satellite audio) mute on/off.   Twisting the outer ring will highlight an individual row.  Twisting the inner ring will adjust the volume as indicated by the green volume bar.  Pushing that knob will toggle squelch on/off if applicable or ID on/off if applicable or mute on/off if applicable (1-2 second delay possible). 

Touch control can also be used to make all those adjustments (e.g. selecting a row by touching, changing a volume level by touch dragging the bar, turning squelch on/off by tapping the correct area on the display, etc).

Edited by brou0040 - 09 Jan 2016 at 3:42pm
lolsen94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 6:15pm
My issues is not constant and I have tried to adjust the squelch control on the volume page. It is not a constant noise, it the squelch goes on for a second, every 30-60 seconds. I have a person in Scottsdale that is going to look at the problem.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 6:20pm
If you are going to EAM at KSDL, you're in good hands.
David Gates
TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 2:26am
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

From page 4-2 of change 2 (600-00300-001).  This should help TomH, but I don't think it applies to lolsen94.

Indeed, it was merely the auto-squelch that had been fat-thumb'd, so to speak. Thanks, all.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 10:21am
Originally posted by TomH TomH wrote:

Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

From page 4-2 of change 2 (600-00300-001).  This should help TomH, but I don't think it applies to lolsen94.

Indeed, it was merely the auto-squelch that had been fat-thumb'd, so to speak. Thanks, all.

No problem, I had the same issue when I first had my unit installed.
lolsen94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 12:58pm
This week I decided to start the elimination process by unplugging my Bose headset on the right seat, and sure enough the problem went away. I decided to buy new Bose A20s since my headsets were sold old, and sure enough, problem solved so far. Not 100% sure, but the headset had something wrong with them. Oddly enough, they work with my old Garmin avionics just fine. With the new Bose A20s, much clearer also.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic