Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RNP approval

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 8:48am
Placido,

Your link seems to be broken. Did you use the globe/link icon to create it? What is the airport?

Vince

Edited by chflyer - 07 Jan 2016 at 9:49am
Vince
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 8:28am
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 6:34am

Luchetto, I will let avidyne answer the will the 540 do it questions. 

The confusion is coming from the term RNP.  The FAA caused this years ago.  It could mean required navigation precision or required navigation performance.  Precision means navigational accuracy, performance means an availability of that nav accuracy which is architecture dependent.

In general if the approached is terps using an SBAS sensor RNAV (GPS) the 540 can legally flight it.  If its an RNP approach (these used to be called SAAR approaches) you cannot legally fly them using the 540.  If the box loads it or not is irrelevant (again an avidyne question).  To legally fly an RNP approach the nav system has to be complaint to DO-283.  The pages reference in the POH is referring to operating rules not MOPS.  I think both the FAA and EASA needs to better clarify this for the pilots.

Can you a link to the approach plate you are referring to?  The fact that you are referring to LPV leads me to believe its a GPS approach.

If you go look at all the approaches for Atlanta (http://airnav.com/airport/KATL)  In my opinion, the 540 cannot legally fly the Z approaches.

Edited by tony - 07 Jan 2016 at 6:39am
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:01am
Gary, I see it now. I had downloaded my PG maybe 2 months ago and didn't realize it was already old😳
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 8:31pm
The latest IFD540 Pilot guide Rev 02 pages 5-27 and 5-28 seem to suggest RNP approaches(certain types) can be achieved.
Gary-T
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 5:14pm
Tony, I posted a very specific example. If I read the handbook it is clearly stated as not approved if I read the AFM supplement it seems it is approved for terminal RNP approach procedures. The approach plate now is labeled as RNP RWY 32 whereas before it was RNAV (GNSS) RWY 32. Can I fly the approach?
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 5:01pm
You need to be more specific with your question. Are you referring to PBN?   The IFD 540 is a GPS navigator with an accuracy down to 0.3.  It is not a DO-236 multi-sensored FMS with RNP alerting.  I asked this question, a few years ago, if it would be possible to achieve RNP with two 540s and the answer that came back from avidyne was no.  I don't think the integrity monitoring is in the architecture. 
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 4:54pm
The POH 3-29 clearly states it is not approved for RNP procedures instead AFM supplement says it is approved for RNP procedures, very confusing.

The practical example is that a German airport used to have an approach chart labelled as RNAV approach and now it is labelled as RNP. The DH is labelled as LPV DH. Will the FMS load this approach and are we allowed to fly it?
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 4:22pm
I have read some conflicting information regarding the above. Can somebody shed some light?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic