Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wi-Fi password

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 2:54am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

You can't move a file directly to an iOS device, without that file leaving the confines of your immediate environment, which to me is undesirable.

Orest,
Without getting into the Apple vs MS, etc discussion, that isn't correct. As I mentioned, there are at least 3 ways to move a file directly from a Windows or Mac PC directly to an iOS device via USB cable:
1) iTunes direct to an iOS app via USB cable and drag-and-drop from the pc explorer window to the device's app file directory under iTunes (file sharing section)
2) GoodreaderUSB - opens the Goodreader directory on the iOS device where any file can be dragged from a pc explorer window
3) iExplorer - allows locally moving files into and out of the iTunes and iOS environments without cloud access.

BTW, iCloud is not a prerequisite to using iTunes or iOS devices (I don't use it). iTunes and the Apple store are though.

Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 9:29am
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

Sigh...why does every Apple discussion have to devolve into fanboys vs. haters?  

Yes, there are (some) ways to transfer (some) files to/from iOS devices but none are as basic/simple/straightforward as plugging in the device to any arbitrary PC and commence dragging-and-dropping arbitrary files into arbitrary folders as if it's just an external storage device like you can do with Android.  

It's simply personal preference, and there are lots of persons out there with said preference.  Preference, even very strong preference, does not equal hate.

Thank you Mystic.

And, upthread someone suggested I give Apple a try, I explained why I didn't like the platform, no emotion involved, just personal preference.

Now let's get back to Avidyne discussions.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Jan 2016 at 3:51pm
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Give us 2 weeks.

Any news on the App yet?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 4:54pm
Those of us who have the beta's on our mobile devices are very happy with it's current state.  There was one more bug to fix by the App vendor and then they were going to make the Apple store submission as far I know.

I'm sure Avidyne Sales and Marketing will broadcast the news quite loudly the second it's downloadable - they have the transmission material all ready to go with a quivering finger hovering over the "Enter" key.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 5:32pm
Sun and fun is coming...I bet it will be filled with Sweet new items for us Pilot boys...Just like Christmas!!  Whats new under the tree.... I'll take one!!
Khuffine
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 5:59pm
Oh, I think you'll like SnF.  Hope you've been a good boy.....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 5:34pm
Orest, you've been making great points. Having set up a dev environment for CI of an iOS app, I became a bit more familiar with the whole Apple universe. 

Things I appreciate:
* MacOS is based on BSD
* All the underpinnings on MacOS are essentially text files
* It's not MS

Things I do not appreciate:
* Extreme control of everything going on their systems
* Huge royalties to sell compatible devices connecting to iOS devices

AviJake: Avidyne is ignoring over 60% of the mobile devices in use. Catch up. iOS is second place. Surface is a no-show.

I'm no fan of Google, either. But that's another topic.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by skitheo skitheo wrote:

Avidyne is ignoring over 60% of the mobile devices in use. Catch up. iOS is second place. Surface is a no-show.

Couple of things.

1) Avidyne isn't making the apps.  So the accusation may be misplaced.
2) iOS is far from being second-place in the aviation usage of tablets.

David Bunin

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

1) Avidyne isn't making the apps.  So the accusation may be misplaced.
2) iOS is far from being second-place in the aviation usage of tablets.

Indeed, Avidyne is not the producer of the app under discussion, nothing to do with them.

Given that that one producer has steadfastly stuck with iOS, if you want to use it, you have to go iOS, and as that one app is popular, that does skew iOS usage in the cockpit. But, they are perhaps the only major EFB so inclined, there are many other choices.

As far as in hand, what people actually own and use everyday, it is at least 6 to 1 in favor of android handsets, and android tablets are now in the majority as well.

* Orest

skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 2:10pm

We've just  built a cool app that is designed to compile and run just fine on Windows, iOs, and Android.  So far, we have the iOS and Windows versions done and working on those platforms.   Running and testing on the android platform is just a matter of finding a device and time to go through the testing.   That hasn't been prioritized at this point.

This is what I was referring to in my statement regarding Avidyne. If Avidyne is not publishing the above described app, then please translate the above for those of us who are literal.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 4:57pm
More than one app..... that's what I read in the statements made so far.
David Gates
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 5:31pm
Regardless of which platform you prefer, the ones using iOS as pilots far outweigh the ones using Android - otherwise they wouldn't be doing it in iOS. Foreflight only available in iOS proves that.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

Regardless of which platform you prefer, the ones using iOS as pilots far outweigh the ones using Android - otherwise they wouldn't be doing it in iOS. Foreflight only available in iOS proves that.

No, not at all, actually it was the other way around. Just because all users using FF, use iOS, does not make it the prevalent platform. But sure, having a popular EFB in iOS only, did sell a bunch of Apple tablets.

* Orest

skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

I believe the odds would be in my favor to say that you don't have the data to support that assertion, other than some anecdotal experiences with some other pilots. 

What percentage of the AOPA membership (i.e. GA pilots) who use smart phones have iPhones vs. other? How many would skip buying the iPad if they could buy an Android tablet instead and be able to use their phone as a backup EFB? How many would rather have a non-iOS device, but bought one because a certain app which Orest mentions is only available on iOS?

Until you can answer those market questions, I believe you are making market choices based on 4-to-6-year-old data. The market has shifted dramatically in the last two years.

As somewhat of a proxy, we can look at the iTunes reviews and Google Play reviews for Garmin Pilot. There are slightly more reviews on iTunes than Google Play. Considering that the iOS version of Garmin Pilot is about 6 months older (and maybe slightly more featured), Lance's assertion is shaky at best. Definitely FF has sold many iPads.

skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 6:35pm
Funny thing: About 18 months ago at a previous employer I had a similar discussion with a product manager in the early stages of a product definition that included connectivity to mobile devices. He told me the target market segment was dominated by iOS devices. 3 months later, new data showed the opposite and he conceded to me that iOS was now eclipsed.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 6:56pm
Tedious discussion which I, nonetheless, lack the discipline to just ignore.

Any discussion of generalized market share in mobile devices is worthless unless you're Apple, Samsung, AT&T, etc. What matters is the market share of devices in your target market. The number of Kindle Fire HDs (or other low-end Android devices) sold to parents of small children, to cite just one example that has a large influence on overall market share, has precisely nada to do with how many pilots own which types of devices.

The real question to ask is: what is the market share among pilots for these devices? None of us here have the answer. Anecdotes are not data.

The only data point I can share is that, based on court documents filed in the Avilution lawsuit epic, they had about 1200 paying subscribers as of last year. I would imagine that WingX and Garmin have many more than that, of course (and there are probably other Android EFB apps I'm not familiar with adding to the pool).  

Ask yourself this: if the Android tablet market is such fertile ground, where's the Foreflight equivalent-- and I don't count G* since, AFAICT, their apps are primarily meant to be companions / halos for their hardware business. Where's the market dominant / feature leader of the Android EFB market? Is there one? (These are honest questions since I am not familiar with the Android market).

(If you actually want to see some real data on this, start with http://www.pewinternet.org/2013/06/10/tablet-ownership-2013/. ComScore has tons of demographic usage data too. Perhaps read up on Christian Rudder's analytics on iOS vs Android market share among OkCupid users if you want a good laugh, too.)
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 7:54pm
We could always take an unscientific poll here on the forum.  I have IOS.  I have IOS because I wanted foreflight. 
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 8:14pm
Guys!   Who cares?

We're building the apps to work in all environments/platforms that have been mentioned.   We don't have unlimited resources so we picked the order.   The wheels are all in motion and there isn't anything anyone can say that will influence or change the plan.

It's an awesome app and it's free.    You are virtually guaranteed to have it run in your environment of choice.

Okay, I'm signing off from this  thread now (to go work on those apps.....)
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 10:36pm

Okay, I'm signing off from this  thread now (to go work on those apps.....)

Good idea.

* Orest

P.S.  Maybe a bit of work on the android version of the simulator too.  ;-)

Edited by oskrypuch - 28 Jan 2016 at 10:59pm
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 9:07am

Give us 2 weeks.

zzzzz . . . .
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 9:10am
Been waiting for the pimp....we're all set - the main vendor had a setback with their release not related to Avidyne support. They claim to be really close so we'll see. Another vendor should have their release hit the streets next week too.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 4:18pm

Been waiting for the pimp....we're all set - the main vendor had a setback with their release not related to Avidyne support. They claim to be really close so we'll see. Another vendor should have their release hit the streets next week too.

Perhaps there is an update to share, perhaps not... but inquiring minds remain curious. We understand it's mostly out of your control however you may know if said vendor has corrected their setback. I assume it'll be v7.6?
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 6:01pm

Give us 2 weeks.

That was Jan04. There must have been a typo here and it should have read 2 months (or maybe 2 quarters?).

This clearly isn't what the NTSB had in mind when they requested the FAA to lighten certification processes to allow faster technology uptake and improved safety. Not clear that the FAA got the message yet. It must be frustrating to have the functionality ready for so long but unable to release just due to paperwork.

Edited by chflyer - 09 Mar 2016 at 6:05pm
Vince
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 9:54am
to quote Tom Petty, "the waiting is the hardest part....."
fritz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 8:16pm
FltPlan.com latest app release which is compatable with Avisyne per the release notes.  However neither the FltPlan.com documentation nor the IFD540 manual provide details on how to connect to the IFD540 wifi.  

Please advise.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic