Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wi-Fi password

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psellati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wi-Fi password
    Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 2:08pm
The latest version of firmware for the IFD540 (10.1.1.0) enables bluetooth and Wi-Fi. I can see the Wi-Fi network but I don't know the password key to gain access. Is it possible to receive the ads-b from the MLB100 (AKA Navworx) receiver for display in Wing-X on my iPAD?
Can I have the password for the Wi-Fi interface?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 2:17pm
Won't do you any good until the app makers release their apps. The Navworx wifi module does not work.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Psellati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psellati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 2:22pm
Thx
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 9:03pm

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

The Navworx wifi module does not work.

Perhaps a minor clarification...

Avidyne doesn't use the NavWorx Wi-Fi module.  The NavWorx Wi-Fi module itself actually works quite well.  It simply isn't a required interface in an Avidyne panel.

David Bunin

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 9:05pm
Agreed
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Psellati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psellati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 11:35am
Understood.

The question would then be why not provide access to the wireless network in the cockpit and thereby allowing peer to peer connectivity?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 1:39pm
Maybe in the future but for now, it's a condition of the cert from the FAA for the two-way data flow.

We're trying to get the FAA more and more comfortable with all this interactive data whizzing around the airplane.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 2:23pm
Interesting that Avidyne is having trouble getting the FAA into a comfort zone on this after trying for so long when Garmin is saying that their Flight Stream can do 2-way transfer via wifi today of flight plans with even the old G430W/530W devices and ForeFlight, albeit with a $999 surcharge for the Flight Stream box ... "Flight Stream 210 adds the capability for flight plan syncing with the GTN 750/650 series and GNS 430W/530W series navigators as well as the ability to display attitude information using an on-board AHRS¹." Or is this also just slideware? Looks real, with a 1-3 day delivery lead.

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 2:29pm
Not quite.

Garmin is a Bluetooth data comm between 2 paired devices.
Avidyne uses Bluetooth for keyboard data entry but we use much more capable WiFi for airplane internal network and external out of the plane network communications.   This is very different in the minds of the cert authorities.   There are a number of other important differences that matter too but I'll leave them out for the purposes of this thread.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 2:49pm
Understood, and thanks for the clarification Steve. While choosing the wifi route for this type of exchange may result in a more full-function end-state, it does put Avidyne at a disadvantage when it comes to short term time to market wrt specific capability such as flight plan sync with ForeFlight. Given that this was announced 18mo ago, I'm sure you appreciate the frustration that Garmin is simply delivering the capability, especially for the old G430W/G530W boxes that the IFD's are meant to replace. Even with all the IFD capability, a customer can have the flight plan sync with ForeFlight today with the G430W/530W today and not yet with the IFD's.
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 2:51pm
Just to be clear, I am a pre-buy IFD540/440 with the 540 installed and 440 to go in within the next month or so, so I've made my decision.... but even at $999 surcharge, it is painful to pull the 430W when it can get a capability (after 10yr) that the 440 does not yet have.

Edited by chflyer - 04 Jan 2016 at 2:52pm
Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 2:54pm
Give us 2 weeks.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 5:42pm

Give us 2 weeks.

Cool. 

And I for one, will give you even a little longer. ;-)

* Orest

LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:43pm

Not quite.

Garmin is a Bluetooth data comm between 2 paired devices.
Avidyne uses Bluetooth for keyboard data entry but we use much more capable WiFi for airplane internal network and external out of the plane network communications.   This is very different in the minds of the cert authorities.   There are a number of other important differences that matter too but I'll leave them out for the purposes of this thread.

Hmmm . . . .
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 7:50pm
So if 10.1.1 turns the Wi-Fi on, will it interfere with my Straus/foreflight connection?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:50am
It shouldn't.  I've stayed in plenty of hotels where there were multiple wi-fi networks "in view" and it never had any affect on the one I connected to with my device.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 11:56am
That's because in the hotel, the IT guy set up the wireless access points on different channels. 
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 1:40pm
I've flown with a Stratus and the only thing that happens is the Ipad shows the new network. The Stratus connects like it always did. Nothing to worry about.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 1:49pm
thank you, that's what I was looking for.
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 2:45pm

Give us 2 weeks.

I, for one, would be delighted to give you 2 weeks to get this capability!

Thanks

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 3:34pm
Actually 13 days now. : )
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 6:51pm

Give us 2 weeks.

10 days have passed, 4 more to go . . . 
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 8:15pm
That's about right. That's when the app is scheduled to go to the Apple Store. Not sure how long it will take to clear the Apple police but it's really close.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 9:50pm
Can you tell us if you have anything non-Apple coming soon?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 9:53pm

That's about right. That's when the app is scheduled to go to the Apple Store....

Well, that may be something from a marketing perspective -- and if it is Apple only, that may be Foreflight, about the only product that is iOS only.

But for me and many others, Apple, Schmapple. Not something I can use.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 14 Jan 2016 at 11:11pm
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 10:39pm
Not just Foreflight.  My wife ditched Foreflight for FlyQefb.   I can grok that, not so with Foreflight.  But...

The ONLY time my wife swears is when she's using her iPhone or iPad, and the only time I swear is when I try to help her when her iPhone or iPad doesn't do what she expects.  Which is WAY too often.

Since a lot of us will not be using an apple product anytime soon - is there anything useful on the horizon?

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 6:24pm
orest, take a bite of the apple...... I promise, it wont hurt you.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

orest, take a bite of the apple...... I promise, it wont hurt you.

I truly disdain the "walled garden" approach of Apple. I also don't want to pay double for less flexibility, and then there is the whole iTunes nonsense. Not being able to move a file to my tablet, from a PC, without going through Apple headquarters is bizarre.

So, no, not for me.

* Orest

paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:10pm
Without slinging any poo about the relative merits of various platforms, both my own observations and market data from Avilution seem to tell me that a large majority of pilots who use tablets use iPads with Foreflight, so I would naturally expect Avi to focus their attention accordingly.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:18pm
We've just  built a cool app that is designed to compile and run just fine on Windows, iOs, and Android.  So far, we have the iOS and Windows versions done and working on those platforms.   Running and testing on the android platform is just a matter of finding a device and time to go through the testing.   That hasn't been prioritized at this point.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:22pm
I don't have a problem with them focusing on Foreflight first, that should be the obvious first choice due to popularity and competition with Garmin since Foreflight already connects with them.

I just hope Avidyne realizes there a lot of non-Apple people that hopefully aren't forgotten.  Once ForeFlight is up and running, Avidyne would have a leg up on Garmin if they were the first to include non-apple tablet connectivity.

I'd think it would be obvious here, but saying to drink the apple juice is just like saying to drink the garmin juice, they are both closed overpriced systems.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:25pm
I was using it on my Windows Surface Pro 4 all day today.   Works great (with 10.2 software).   It's coming....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:31pm

Running and testing on the android platform is just a matter of finding a device

How about a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 ;)
If it's the IFD app concept, I may get something like a Nexus 7 for that.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:33pm
It'll have to wait.  We're pulling the oars are hard as we can to get Rel 10.2 across the finish line right now.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 8:37pm

It'll have to wait.  We're pulling the oars are hard as we can to get Rel 10.2 across the finish line right now.

<sigh>

Hmm, the Surface is a "solid" 2% of the market (and $1200 each) a distant #3. And iPads are #2. 

But I digress.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Jan 2016 at 8:42pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 8:38pm

...  Running and testing on the android platform is just a matter of finding a device and time to go through the testing.   That hasn't been prioritized at this point.

Happy to donate hardware, and time testing the app.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 16 Jan 2016 at 2:15pm
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 8:34am
Hmm, if it works on the surface, would it work on other windows tablets as well. I have a small 7 inch cheap tablet from Micro Center which I use to update the databases
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 8:34am
Yup.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 8:44am
👍 Can't wait to try it out then
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 10:59am
Can you say what hardware the tablet will need?  Specifically, does will the tablet require it's own GPS or is GPS information passed via wifi?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 11:03am
No, there are too many things in minor flux to make those statements yet.  That should crispen up in a month or so.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 6:50am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Not being able to move a file to my tablet, from a PC, without going through Apple headquarters is bizarre.

That does sound bizarre.  I sure don't do it that way.

I have two methods for sending files between my (PC) computers and my IOs portable devices.
1) I email the file to myself.
2) I use my Dropbox folder.

I don't believe that any of my stuff goes to Apple HQ.

David Bunin
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 8:15am
There is an easier way David, using iExplorer. I've moved away from dropbox for security reasons. Tresorit has better security for what dropbox does. If you have goodreader, they also have a usb explorer which accomplishes the same thing if you want to move a file into goodreader on the ios device. I have all my aircraft docs on my ipad under goodreader, including parts & svc manual, poh, afm, avionics im & pg manuals, etc.

Orest likely doesn't have the problem as he is not an apple user.
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 11:24am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

I have two methods for sending files between my (PC) computers and my IOs portable devices.
1) I email the file to myself.
2) I use my Dropbox folder.

I don't believe that any of my stuff goes to Apple HQ.

David Bunin

Both of those methods require you to move the file to the cloud, perhaps not iTunes, but somewhere in the cloud. You can't move a file directly to an iOS device, without that file leaving the confines of your immediate environment, which to me is undesirable. It is hardly the only issue, but that really smacks of the flavor and nature of the iOS environment that I really dislike.

I can plug my phone or tablet directly into my laptop, and direct transfer, back & forth. It uses this cool new connection mode, called "USB". ;-) 

Or I can use NFC.

But, before I get swarmed by Applelites, listen, I get it. A lot of folks like the cozy, controlling environment of Apple,. But, it is just not for me, far too paternalistic and restrictive.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 17 Jan 2016 at 11:47am
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 11:26am
There are some devices, for example SanDisk Ixtend, which allows limited file exchange between the external environment and iOS devices, but that exchange is both scripted and limited.

David Gates
TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 8:32pm

That's about right. That's when the app is scheduled to go to the Apple Store. Not sure how long it will take to clear the Apple police but it's really close.

Without seeming ungrateful at the prospect of what's coming and fully understanding you're at the mercy of Apple's approval process... can you give us any update now that we're a few days past the app being submitted?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 8:35pm
Fair enough.  A few of us at Avidyne have the beta apps on our iPads.  We found a few issues that (your favorite) vendor is fixing now and expect to upload to Apple within a day or three for their vetting and posting on the Apple Store.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 9:26pm

Fair enough.  A few of us at Avidyne have the beta apps on our iPads.  We found a few issues that (your favorite) vendor is fixing now and expect to upload to Apple within a day or three for their vetting and posting on the Apple Store.

VERY exciting! Thanks.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Both of those methods require you to move the file to the cloud, perhaps not iTunes, but somewhere in the cloud. You can't move a file directly to an iOS device, without that file leaving the confines of your immediate environment, which to me is undesirable. It is hardly the only issue, but that really smacks of the flavor and nature of the iOS environment that I really dislike.

I can plug my phone or tablet directly into my laptop, and direct transfer, back & forth. It uses this cool new connection mode, called "USB". ;-) 

Or I can use NFC.

But, before I get swarmed by Applelites, listen, I get it. A lot of folks like the cozy, controlling environment of Apple,. But, it is just not for me, far too paternalistic and restrictive.

* Orest

Orest -- You can plug an iPhone or iPad directly into a PC and move files to and from.  I do it with pictures all the time.   You can also use "app file sharing" with some apps.  You drag the files from your PC to the device.  Yes, this app file sharing requires iTunes, but it doesn't involve the cloud.  I use this technique to move my private IAPs to Foreflight.  No, Apple devices are not as wide open and flexible as Android devices, but it's not exactly as you describe.  You are very quick to talk about the limitations of hardware that you do not use on a regular basis.  We all get that you are not a fan boy, but dude, why the hate?
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 10:23pm
Sigh...why does every Apple discussion have to devolve into fanboys vs. haters?  

Yes, there are (some) ways to transfer (some) files to/from iOS devices but none are as basic/simple/straightforward as plugging in the device to any arbitrary PC and commence dragging-and-dropping arbitrary files into arbitrary folders as if it's just an external storage device like you can do with Android.  

It's simply personal preference, and there are lots of persons out there with said preference.  Preference, even very strong preference, does not equal hate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic