Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble loading Jep plates in 540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble loading Jep plates in 540
    Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 12:19am
I've had my 540 installed now for a few months and have updated the database a handful of times without issue.  However, since mid-December I've been trying to get the latest Jeppesen  Chart data loaded in my 540 and it just won't take.  I've downloaded four times to two different flash drives.  Each time the unit will load to 99% and then show an error and quit.  Even though the unit would not load the most current plates, it was at least kind enough to delete all the other chart data before it failed ... sigh.

Jeppesen thought the issue was the flash drive, so I tried a different one but it failed, too.  I always format the flash drive before uploading new data as I understand from others that that's been an issue.  Four formats, four downloads, four failures.  Any ideas?  Small caliber to the back of the unit??
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 1:34am
Do you format it to FAT32 on a PC? I have a Mac but still use VMWare running Windows to format the flash drive just to make sure. I've never had an update not take.

Also this last one was a large update that took at least 45 minutes, do you have your aircraft on external power just to make sure while you are updating?
M20Kid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:55am
I do use a PC (two different machines during these attempts) and always format to Fat32.  In fact, I found that if the flash drive is not formatted to Fat32, Jeppesen won't transfer the data.  In one attempt I simply formatted as FAT (which turns out to be Fat16) and Jeppesen couldn't 'see' the device.

As for the large file, I think you're talking about the terrain database.  My understanding is that it was pulled because they found it was the same database initially installed in all the units.  A new one is supposed to be coming out soon.  For now I was just doing a normal chart update ... or trying to.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 11:04am
The new one is out.

There is an option to clear your cache in JDM and then refresh services; if that doesn't work, then call Jepp support.

David Gates
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 9:04am
Which IFD540 software version are you on?  I'm not sure if there have been improvements made to to the data update process, but for sure there were issues with v10.0.3.  
M20Kid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 9:33am
I think I'm on v10.0.1.  I know for sure it hasn't had a software update since I had previously completed success chart updates.
M20Kid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 9:35am
ddgates - I did that, too.  With Jeppesen on the phone I worked through the variety of issues they could imagine on their end.  I even changed from the older JSUM download system to the new-and-improved JDM; still no success.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 10:01am
Do you have your Mooney on external power while doing the update?
M20Kid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 10:37am
Lance - No I did not connect to external power.  I don't have a ready source, but it only takes a couple of minutes to update the charts.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 10:42am
Originally posted by M20Kid M20Kid wrote:

I think I'm on v10.0.1.  I know for sure it hasn't had a software update since I had previously completed success chart updates.

If you really are on 10.0.1, you really do need to get an update. There are big changes and improvements up to the current 10.1.1, and 10.2 with lots of juicy stuff is right around the corner.

The update to 10.1 is a bit time consuming in the shop, but it, and all these updates are covered by Avidyne.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic