Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GMX 200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GMX 200
    Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 12:08am
Has anyone hooked up a 540 or 440 to a GMX 200? I think they have changed some software in the 200 so ADS can be viewed on the gmx200  but I have not herd of anyone doing it. I am installing one used next week. Hope it connects like the 530 did since they are suppose to be wired the same. Also wonder if any Avidyne map features should transpose over to the big map. my 440 map is a little small for all this info.

Khuffine
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:50pm
I had a GMX200 with a GNS480 before installing the 540.  I go for the checkout flight tomorrow so I hopefully will have some feedback on how the GMX200 behaves with the 540.  I loved flying with it before because it had so much situational awareness.  I am hoping that with the excellent 540 display I will be able to split some of the data between the two displays and give me even more information at my fingertips.  I must say that with the configurable data blocks in the 540, there is so much that the 540 can give me, I may not even need the GMX200.  We will see.
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 7:55pm
Thanks!  let me know....I have the 440 hooked to my gdl69 for sirius xm. Going to see if the  GDL88 will hook to the gMX200 and give traffic and weather ... Did your 540 display airways on the 200 or do u have to live with the 200 data base for nav? I just received my blue tooth from avidyne today.... more toys!
Khuffine
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 12:37pm
I flew the Cardinal home from the avionics shop last week, and I have to say it was information overload!  In addition to the 540 replacing my GNS480, I added WX-500 lightning, TAS605A traffic and MLB-100 traffic and wx.  I kept the GMX-200 and connect it into everything else.  I am missing traffic on my GMX-200 until I get a connector to install, and where I was flying in Canada, the altitude did not get me Buffalo ADS-B.  Everything seemed to work fine, except my traffic appears to be coming from the opposite direction - avionics guy thinks the coax cables are backwards.  

The situational awareness is outstanding, and the 540 is even nicer to use that my beloved GNS480.  I felt completely at home with it, even if I was hunting around for the other stuff like traffic and weather. 

The interface for the AXP322 is really nice. I have it in a single line at the top data block, and it is really intuitive to just touch it when you need to make a change, and the dialog pops up. Just felt natural to me.

The GMX200 has very nice integration from what I saw - I have my flight plan displayed and the orientation, zoom, etc. can be different to give a different perspective.  Very nice job Avidyne!  Here's a picture of that combo in flight.

Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 12:41pm
Nice, Peter!
David Gates
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 12:51pm
Looks great!!!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 3:27pm
Looking fine. Welcome to the NEW paradigm.

The CNX 80 was surely a nice unit in its day.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 11 Jan 2016 at 3:27pm
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 8:47pm
Looks great!  My Gdl 88 and GMX 200 install turned out to be a disaster with my Avidyne 440. FAA would not approve the 440 as the WAAS position so i had to pay more to get the GDL88 with built in GPS. Just wanted more than ADSB in...Makes me want an experimental ....All these units that don't switch between . Got rid of an old MFD 5200 and star 5000.... Worked fine but now stepping into the 90's!!!  At least i will have ADS traffic and weather on the big screen, if it all works ...wish me luck.
Khuffine
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 9:18pm
Now I am confused. 

What reason were you given that the WAAS position from the 440 was not adequate for the required WAAS position for your unit?

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 9:35pm
The reason is likely the GDL88 STC does not have the Avidyne IFD540/440 listed as an acceptable position source. I would think the avionics shop could have done a field authorization with the FDSO since they are a slide in replacement for the 530/430.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

I would think the avionics shop could have done a field authorization with the FDSO

Probably not.  The FAA has given fairly specific guidance to their Inspectors as to what they can and can not field-approve in regards to ADS-B, and approving an alternative GPS is at the top of their "don't" list.

Of course this only applies if your FSDO Inspector read the memo.

But you are absolutely correct that the approved GPS list for a given ADS-B Out product is a function of the ADS-B Out product's certification, not the GPS product's certification.  Just because a GPS is capable of supporting ADS-B precision does not mean it is actually an approved source for any specific transmitting device.

David Bunin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 6:52am
Originally posted by PeterC PeterC wrote:

I have my flight plan displayed and the orientation, zoom, etc. can be different to give a different perspective.

I do something similar by having the IFD-540 and a GPSMAP 696 slaved to it for the flight plan.  I find that I almost never have them zoomed to the same scale or on the same view, and I find that my situational awareness is improved by having them set differently.

Sorry, I don't have a good picture to post, but yours is a nice one!

David Bunin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

I have the IFD-540 and a GPSMAP 696 slaved to it for the flight plan.

I was contacted with a request to expand and explain this feature.  I think it is probably a question shared by other operators, so I am electing to respond where the community can participate.

The IFD-540 has six serial output ports that can be configured to spew out a variety of data.  The most common one is called the "Aviation" data output format.  In my case, serial output port #1 is set to "Aviation".  This is selectable from the Config screens in Maintenance Mode.

All of the Garmin portable units from the 196 to the 696 (and possibly more/others) have the ability to receive serial data in a couple of formats, one of which is "Aviation" data.  These are selectable from the Main Menu of the device.

The "Aviation" data stream contains a good bit of GPS/FMS information.  Specifically, it includes the active flight plan and all of the waypoints therein.

In my case, there are actually two users for the "Aviation" data coming out of the IFD.  I have a 696 mounted on my yoke, and a "copilot's" 396 on the RH instrument panel.

The behavior is that I never need to program the portable units.  I just put my flight plan in the IFD, and the data flows to the other two devices automatically.  I have the connection wired through a switch on the instrument panel so that I can break the connection if I ever need to.  (The other side of that switch links the portables to my ADS-B transceiver for traffic data, but I haven't really used that much.)

In the case of an electrical failure, the portable device always has the last-known version of the flight plan.

David Bunin
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:41pm
Think there is any chance of a config option coming along to stream this same thing out on wifi too?

Vince
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:52pm
I would bet on it; that is an output stream of reference data, not configurability though can't wifi be switched off now?

I'm wrong more often that right, but I expect the third party portable software vendors will be using that data stream with their early releases of compatibility with the 540 series.

Like Sergeant Schultz, "I know nothing..."

Edited by ddgates - 12 Jan 2016 at 4:58pm
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 5:58pm

I have the IFD-540 and a GPSMAP 696 slaved to it for the flight plan.

I was contacted with a request to expand and explain this feature.  I think it is probably a question shared by other operators, so I am electing to respond where the community can participate.

That includes the 796 as well. I find this crossfeed function simply fabulous. It will even add the full approach on the uncertified units, by tagging the appropriate waypoints, something the unit itself will not do, as it restricts approaches to FAF in only.

I have it wired, so I can cut the crossfeed, but seldom do.

* Orest

khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 6:18pm
David is right...FSDO was consulted and they talked  to DC. No field approval was allowed. STC and lawyers..... All this great technology and can't use because of paper work. Cost me $800 more to put in the GDl 88 W unit. Then today the 440 would not update correctly with the new 10.1.1  Would not come out of maintenance mode.. Having to send the unit in so everyone be cautious. We talked to Avidyne engineering and walked through again but was corrupted. Think the SB will have to be modified to use 8G memory stick. Seems like simple way to do these updates MUST be perfected before sending to the masses. Now I have too wait 3 more days for a swap unit to be shipped 
Khuffine
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 6:44pm
Anyone have an idea on what to put into a 3 inch spot on the panel? dumped my ADF so looking for wonderful toy to put in that hole...Yeh, I know what you're thinking  ;)
Khuffine
TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by khuffine khuffine wrote:

Anyone have an idea on what to put into a 3 inch spot on the panel? dumped my ADF so looking for wonderful toy to put in that hole...Yeh, I know what you're thinking  ;)

Backup instrument? Those L-3 GENESISâ„¢ ESI-500 units are pretty impressive.  Or the Mid-Continent SAM® if it fits. 
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 10:38pm
Thanks...I wish I could get an GEM for a twin in that instrument...Or a  Angle of attack

Khuffine
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:04am
I am installing an L3 Genesis unit in mine next week.  I have some information (and opinions) on both the L3 Genesis and the Sandia Quattro if anyone is interested.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 1:41pm

I am installing an L3 Genesis unit in mine next week.  I have some information (and opinions) on both the L3 Genesis and the Sandia Quattro if anyone is interested.

I am looking to install a Quattro, standby alternator, and pull the vacuum system. If you have any reflections on the Quattro vice Genesis, happy to hear them. Is the Genesis certified yet?

Perhaps drop me a note by email, as it would not be topical here.

* Orest

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 2:21pm
Orest,

I think you need to discuss with your installer the details of what you want to do.  I'm no expert, but looking into this, here is what I found:

The Sandia Quattro is TSO as a replacement for an attitude indicator and does not have an STC.  Additionally, most modern AHRS units use multiple inputs to computes its outputs. Including, air data (specifically airspeed) and GPS. If you lose airspeed (plugged pitot tube, pitot leak, etc), then your attitude will become erroneous or even invalid (which is better than erroneous really). 

From the Sandia manual: 2.3.6 Functional Dependencies The SAI 340 attitude solution is augmented by airspeed. In the event of airspeed failure, errors in excess of normal TSO levels may be encountered during takeoff and extended aircraft accelerations. Degraded mode maintains basic attitude performance and is sufficient to maintain positive aircraft control. However, precision flying may not be possible.

From the Aspen manual: 4.8.2 The standby, electric attitude indicator must not rely on pitot/static inputs for its operation.

The Garmin manual has something similar.  So, to me, I don't think the Quattro meets the performance standard as a backup to either the Aspen or the Garmin and I don't think the FSDO would approve under a field approval.

The L3 Genesis has an STC and is built from the L3 Trilogy technology but updated for features.  They are working to get it in the Aspen and Garmin install manuals and I believe they will have better success than Sandia given that they already have the Trilogy listed.  In either case, a field approval would likely be very possible given the performance standards.

As far as the L3 Genesis, it is robust and has some optional available features that the Quattro does not such as GPS track, heading (via ADHARS or magnetometer), localizer/glideslope, VSI display, and optional magnetometer.  If you think of this as a backup function only, then the only way these additional features are useful are in a PFD failure only. In all other failure modes, these features do not work. Example, in an electrical failure, once the GPS is shut down, the SV, localizer/Glideslope, and heading (if not equipped with the optional L3 magnetometer) will not function and you have equivalent function to the original L3 Triliogy, Mid Continent SAM, Quattro products. If you are getting air data from the PFD over the ARINC429 line and the PFD fails, then SV does not work as it requires OAT.

So, you want to weigh that to the cost of the options. I think the localizer / Glideslope may be useful in the backup ($600 unlock), but probably not the SV ($1300 unlock).

In any case, I think it appears to be a better option than the Sandia, especially in light of some of the issues reported where others are having difficulty getting it installed as a backup to the G500 due to FAA interpretation of the certification rules. This was one of my main reasons to go with the L3.

YMMV

Edited by Gring - 13 Jan 2016 at 3:23pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 3:25pm
My use for it is for replacing the standby analog, vacuum driven AI. So, the additional cool things like heading and SV would likely be overkill. I do have a backup mechanical CDI with glideslope, so having it on the standby PFD is not critical.

You bring up an interesting point. But, doesn't the L3 rely on blended airdata for augmenting/maintaining attitude indication as well? If so, then by the same reasoning might there not also be an issue with using it as a backup for an ASPEN or G500, STC or not?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Jan 2016 at 3:29pm
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 8:41pm
I picked up the Baron today with new GMX 200 map installed with the GDL88W and G327 transponder. The 88 doesnt show traffic on the ground like my Stratus does so that caught me off guard. took a few minutes on power supply to get the GMX up and running but the flight home showed several traffic boggies and target trend was there also. Avidyne sent new 440 because the update for 10.1.1 corrupted the machine. They were nice enough to replace and loaded the software at plant. Only one annomaly. The transceiver when i swiched from approach to unicom stayed on approach even though it showed 122.8. After landing it started working but I uded my old KX175B Mccoy.. Bullet proof. Hope its not a new software issue.
Khuffine
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 7:26am
khuffine,

Just to be clear, are you saying on the IFD440 you pressed the Swap key to switch Active Com with #1 Standby Com and that the swap actually occurred but that the radio didn't actually channelize the VHF freq?  And then it magically healed itself during taxi back?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 10:11am

Orest,

I think you need to discuss with your installer the details of what you want to do.  I'm no expert, but looking into this, here is what I found:

The Sandia Quattro is TSO as a replacement for an attitude indicator and does not have an STC.  Additionally, most modern AHRS units use multiple inputs to computes its outputs. Including, air data (specifically airspeed) and GPS. If you lose airspeed (plugged pitot tube, pitot leak, etc), then your attitude will become erroneous or even invalid (which is better than erroneous really). 

There is no STC -- we checked with our FSDO and it is considered a minor alteration, requiring only a logbook entry. As it has an internal battery backup, it is considered to have its own backup and therefore qualifies for use as the primary attitude instrument, and you can remove the existing vacuum powered unit. If there are no other vacuum instruments, you can get rid of the whole vacuum system, which is my intention.

Rolfe
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 11:14am
That is correct. It was a short flight and the aircraft was cold. Aural warning would not stop either after 5 or 10 touches..finally disappeared. called 122.8 a couple times and GSO approach said," Still with me"....May be a cold issue...Brand new unit...
Khuffine
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 10:33pm
avijake...did u get my reply on the radio? flying tomorrow so will check it again.
Khuffine
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 7:18am
I did but I don't have any suggestions for you at this time. We have never heard of such behavior, can't replicate it in the lab, nor can we come up with any viable explanation for the behavior based on code inspection.

Please let us know if you see this again and we'll request the logs and/or consider swapping the IFD.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 3:47pm
Ok... It was a new unit since the new 10.1.1.0 corrupted my old unit. They sent a new one so it was its first flight. I have since flown once more and it seemed to do ok. I am hoping its just a cold screen but sometimes I have hooked up a power supply so I can train and it seems not as sensitive as my old unit was. need a longer trip and warm up the plane better to see. I'll let u know what i see. The hangar is just as cold untill spring!!! Ken
Khuffine
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 3:53pm
By the way, does this new report that the FAA is going to be kinder and gentiler on safety issues going to effect the STC stuff with the 440/540 being able to be the WAAS navigator for other ADSB equipment? If so i just wasted $800 having to hook up a built in WAAS to get my GMX200 connected. Just love those paper shufflers. Like a built in Tax.
Khuffine
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 3:58pm
Also my empty ADF hole after removal can accommodate a  3 inch pinch mount for the FAA approved dynon 4 inch battery powered Horizon as a backup and 2nd page is a G Meter. seems cool..May try it ...at least it fills the hole and may save my 6 o'clock position.Its called the D2.
Khuffine
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 7:44am
Just to be clear, a cold IFD has no effect on VHF performance.   That is until you get down to -55 deg C.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 11:12am
I figured it was a software issue. Radio worked fine, just switching. Even a 777 has a bad day. I am finding that my old,cold,dry fingers do much better on the screen if I moisten them. More reports to come ....Ken
Khuffine
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic