Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MK10 Bluetooth Keyboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:39pm
Sorry, keyboard or tee shirt...
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:45pm
Mine lights up when pushing any key after hitting the bulb button.  I flew at night a few days ago and it lights up well.  
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 5:35pm
After mine was paired with the 540, I was able to turn the back lighting on and off by pressing the light bulb key in the upper left.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 5:41pm
I was able to turn the back lighting on and off by pressing the light bulb key in the upper left. After turning on, it would time out and shut off after about a minute.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:35pm
I gave Simpson some fodder today to provide more how-to info on the keyboards.  I'm sure he'll post that info as soon as he gets the chance.  He's a busy boy.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 8:42am
So what buttons work on the Kb? I could enter flight plan alphabets, and freqs only after pushing the button on the IFD, the com button on the KB didn't do anything
Am I missing something?
And just by the way, I'm missing my T-shirt.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 10:00am
They have the numbers enabled; the function keys come in 10.2.
David Gates
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 10:42am
Arrow keys were also enabled to be able to move around the flight plan.  The up/down was like the outer knob and the left and right was like the inner knob.  I'm pretty sure ENT and CLR worked as well.  The keyboard was fast and responsive, definitely well integrated even without all the keys mapped yet.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 6:26am
My keyboard is successfully paired with the IFD, but I did notice that while I followed the instructions exactly, the IFD did not. To be specific; the IFD did not show "Bluetooth Keyboard" as predicted.  Instead, it presented me with a code, which I believe is probably the hexadecimal address of my keyboard.  See image:

Aside for that unexpected behavior, the pairing went as advertised.  The keyboard appears to function as I thought it should.  I was able to enter a frequency and a waypoint.  The airplane is down for other maintenance now, but I'll try it in flight the next time I am out.

David Bunin

P.S. Before you say anything, yes, I know I need to clean my screen again.
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 9:02am
It could well be a coincidence, but I had a weird problem right after pairing my keyboard yesterday. Keyboard worked initially, but after a restart I couldn't get GPS at all. Status pages showed blank for LIO and GPS and I had a 429 input error plus the keyboard was no longer recognized. This persisted after a restart, but things worked fine again after I downloaded logs.

Edited by Royski - 17 Jan 2016 at 9:03am
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 12:01pm
My BT KB went as advertised... 
P.S.  Your screen is clean compared to mine though.

Tom
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 2:23pm
Jake
I decided to try to use the frequency button as you suggested and see how I like it. Of course, my luck, the first frequency that ATC gave me was not on the list despite scrolling to the bottom. 127.9 out of Providence.   I ended up entering it manually with the BT keyboard.   You had asked for us to let you know when frequencies were missing.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 2:35pm
Yeah but I didn't mean it!   No, just kidding, we'll have a look.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 2:37pm
๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 9:12am
Here is the how-to that Jake was talking about:

Keyboard Status Indications   A solid green LED lamp indicates the keyboard is connected.   A flashing green LED indicates it is trying to pair.  A yellow LED is lit every time a keystroke is sent to the IFD. While charging, the red LED turns on and grows dimmer as the charge increase.  When fully charged, the red LED is extinguished.  Leaving the keyboard plugged in after the charge is complete will decrease the battery life.

10.1.1.0:   The letters, numbers, period (โ€œ.โ€) and up/down/left/right arrow keys are functional on a properly paired Bluetoothยฎ keyboard.  The up/down/left/right arrow keys can be used for page navigation in the same way the inner and outer rings of the bottom right IFD knob can navigate through page fields. No other keys are mapped to IFD functions at this time

10.2:  All labeled keys are fully functional.  The lightbulb key turns on backlighting for the keyboard.  The vertical two-headed arrow key is primary/#1 standby swap.   The Avidyne logo key is a space bar. The up/down arrow keys can be used for page navigation in the same way the inner ring of the bottom right IFD knob can navigate through page fields.  Repeated presses of the FMS, MAP, AUX keys step through the tabs on those pages.  Repeated presses of the FREQ button will step through the  top tabs of the Freq List.

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
AviKent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviKent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 11:03pm
Paired my keyboard and my IFD540 today. The tech rep I spoke with was very helpful, and said many exciting features soon to be available.
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 5:58pm
Thanks for posting this. I did try the back light key again today and it appears it has to be fully paired and you have to accept the message on the IFD screen. Once that was all done it lit up when I pressed the light bulb key.
Thanks,
Mike
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:49pm
IFD540 registered on MyAvidyne. How do we know when the keyboard is on the way?

Thanks in advance

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 8:51am
When did you register? PM me your MyAvidyne username and I will verify that everything is in order.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 9:51am
Registered last week. PM shortly.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:45am
I'm wondering that too-- I bought a new Avidyne stack at the beginning of the year, registered it on MyAvidyne, and now UPS tells me I have an Avi package on the way. Is it the keyboard? A t-shirt? A printed user guide? The suspense is killing me!
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 1:32pm

Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

I'm wondering that too-- I bought a new Avidyne stack at the beginning of the year, registered it on MyAvidyne, and now UPS tells me I have an Avi package on the way. Is it the keyboard? A t-shirt? A printed user guide? The suspense is killing me!

My bet is on the keyboard - that is the way mine came.  Have fun!

Edited by AUXAIR - 25 Jan 2016 at 1:32pm
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 8:42pm
Can two keyboards be paired to the same IFD?  I wondering if those with 2 keyboards as a result of having dual IFDs, can have a fully charged keyboard ready to go so that if the battery in the other keyboard dies, they can be swapped and continue on controlling the same IFD that the other keyboard controlled.
squeege View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Can two keyboards be paired to the same IFD?  I wondering if those with 2 keyboards as a result of having dual IFDs, can have a fully charged keyboard ready to go so that if the battery in the other keyboard dies, they can be swapped and continue on controlling the same IFD that the other keyboard controlled.

I'm wondering that also, however, I bought & registered (2) IFD540s but only received one keyboard.

Louise
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 11:15pm
I received only 1 BT Keyboard, despite my Dual 540's - I was told only 1-KB per Dual customer... even though I know of exceptions!

Tom Wolf

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 8:54am
Perhaps, along the way they decided to give one keyboard even for dual IFDs.  I had thought on an old thread it was said it was one per IFD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 9:42am
It's one keyboard per tail number.

You can only pair one keyboard to an IFD at a time, it's a Bluetooth limitation.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

have a fully charged keyboard ready to go so that if the battery in the other keyboard dies.

I put the charging cable in the plane with the keyboard.  I do not ever expect to charge it at home again.  If it runs down, I'll just plug it into the IFD to recharge it.

David Bunin

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 1:53pm
David,
Just curious if/how you mount or attach your BT to use during flight.  

During hangar flying, I thought of mounting via Velcro on yoke, but at least for functions now available, the BT seems a bit awkward to use compared to easy to reach hybrid (screen/knobs) 540 functions.

Tom 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 7:14am
I don't have a solution yet.  I was down for annual about the time the keyboard arrived so I haven't actually flown with it yet.  I have a flight planned today, but the route is not very complicated.

Like you, I am very happy with the user interface of the IFD itself.  So not sure how much I would/will actually use the keyboard.  Right now I have it stowed in the seat back pocket of the copilot's seat, where I can reach it without removing my seatbelt.  In my mind, the keyboard would be great in turbulence because it moves with your hand.  But I don't have any real experience to support (or refute) that notion.

Maybe I won't use the keyboard much at all, but I still think it's a cool idea and I'm glad I got one.

+++++++++++++

Somewhere in the printed material it says to velcro it down someplace.  My yoke is already occupied so I guess I would have to put it on top of the glareshield.

David

Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 12:06pm
2 IFD540s. 2 different N numbers. I received one still waiting for the other. Ill call today.

Pairing was pretty straightforward.
A36 w/IFD 540, PA60 w/IFD 540

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 12:16pm
I think you are speaking to our sales rep now so you should be all set.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 12:26pm
Funny yea. Tech support transferred me to sales. Still burning off nyquil from my cold. Probably should have gone for my run before I made that call. haha.

Discovered something weird though. The packing slip that came with the first BT keyboard had my new street address number with my old street. Last time I went in to myavidyne to make sure the second installation was registered for the extended warranty I did an addtess update. It didnt "take" the first time and I did it again. Ill check it again this evening.

Edited by Joe Jet - 08 Feb 2016 at 12:30pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Maybe I won't use the keyboard much at all, but I still think it's a cool idea and I'm glad I got one.

I found my first good use for the keyboard.  I flew in the cold last weekend, and it turns out my favorite "driving gloves" are not touch-screen compatible.  So the keyboard is great for programming with gloves on.

David Bunin

Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:56am
Paired my single BT KB to my other airplane while waiting for the second to arrive. It's nice that a single KB can be paired to 2 different IFD's. Looking forward to writing some checklists with it.
Seneca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seneca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 9:28am
I have an IFD540 and IFD440 in one plane and an IFD540 in the other.  I received only one keyboard and no T-shirt.  Bummer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 9:31am
PM sent.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
FEisert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEisert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 11:22am
My keyboard finally arrived 9 Feb. I think maybe I was forgotten since the unit was returned last summer for repairs. I called tech support a couple weeks ago and I suspect that got the ball rolling. Can't wait to try it.

Edited by FEisert - 10 Feb 2016 at 11:25am
TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 2:23pm
Ok, need help gang.  I can not link my MK10.  When I go into user settings, the keyboard convenience is grayed out, so it can't be turned on.  Any ideas on how to turn on the bluetooth part of the radio.  I tried to go to the maintenance section, by plugging in my thumb drive, but didn't see a way to turn on the bluetooth there.  I am I missing something?

Thanks
Tom G
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 6:09pm
The procedure is described in the latest PG. Just search for bluetooth.

You have to enable pairing mode from the maintenance pages.

* Orest

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 9:25pm
The last maintenance page, wifi/bluetooth is page 12.  If you don't have this page, then you either don't have the necessary software version or it is corrupted.  I had the proper software, it passed all the checks during the upgrade, but later was corrupted by restoring my settings and lost that last page.  If that happens to you, tech support can help you out.
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 9:11am
Hi Tom-

In the user settings page (in normal operations mode) there is a Bluetooth On/Off setting, which is not the same as keyboard convenience. Be sure this is set to On.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:09am
Simpson I too have 2 540's and received 1 keyboard and no Tee. Any help would be appreciated.
GDC25
TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:21am
Gang-

Thanks for the help, I have software 10.1.0 so I can't turn on the blue tooth.  (There is your problem!)  I'm thinking I'll wait on 10.1.2 so as not to have to hit the avionics shop twice. Is this a short (Weeks) or Months wait, anybody?

Regards,

Edited by TomG - 15 Feb 2016 at 10:23am
Tom G

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:32am
Originally posted by glassanza glassanza wrote:

Simpson I too have 2 540's and received 1 keyboard and no Tee. Any help would be appreciated.

Are the IFD540s in different aircraft?
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 2:18pm
I'm not getting my keyboard to Pair. 
I get through all of the steps and when I do the Bluetooth search
it finds the Avidyne keyboard.  I press the pair button and get the code
which I enter.  I then press the Enter button on the 540 and the done button comes up.
When I push that to exit maintenance mode, the 540 reboots.  The keyboard blinking green light never quits blinking and when I touch the standby com button, the virtual keyboard comes up on the 540, but pressing the number or letter buttons on the bluetooth keyboard has no effect.
The green light does not stop blinking on the BT keyboard.
Software version is 10.1.1 and Bluetooth selection is set to ON.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 2:27pm
PM sent
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 5:03pm
Nope... Didn't realize the keyboard was a one per aircraft deal. Not a problem, but lets say hypothetically that I bought another aircraft with a G530 and decided to move one of the 540's over, it would be nice to already have the keyboard in hand....  
GDC25
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 6:50pm
Working!!!   Thanks Simpson.   Turns out I wasn't pushing "enter" on both the keyboard and the 540
after entering the PIN #.   Once I did that, it paired on the third cycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 9:05am
Quote lets say hypothetically that I bought another aircraft

I don't know the future retail price of a keyboard, but I have to imagine that it is an insignificant expense in the scope of acquiring a whole nuther airplane.

Also, if your (one) keyboard lives in your flight bag next to your headset, there's no reason that your one keyboard couldn't pair in both airplanes.

On the other hand, if you're the kind of guy who buys another headset for the other airplane, well ... a second keyboard still probably costs less than a second headset.

David Bunin

Edited by DavidBunin - 17 Feb 2016 at 9:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic