Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MK10 Bluetooth Keyboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 7:57am

Empty mailbox yesterday :(

I promise to wear the T-shirt to the hangar as soon as the keyboard gets here.

Here's a thought: Use the T-shirts as packing cushion material for the keyboards!

David Bunin

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 9:30am
+1 What a great marketing idea! I also promise to wear mine... once it and the kb arrive. :-)

Vince
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 7:22pm
I just received the keyboard and am anxious to play with it a little. I am wondering whether anyone has any information about exactly what information is conveyed by the four LED indicators in the upper left corner. I realize that the IFD540 Pilot Guide includes some information, but I could not find anything about determining the state of charge or how much battery life to expect. All insights are welcome.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 8:09pm
Interesting.  I had assumed the batteries in the keyboard would need to be changed but I guess they must be rechargeable as you suggest.  The USB cable that came with it must be for that purpose.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 9:11pm
From the guide:
Solid Green LED- keyboard is connected
Flash Green LED-Trying to pair
Yellow LED- lit each time a keystroke is sent to IFD

There was no mention of a battery charge LED indication
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 9:22pm
I thought I was signed up.  I registered my540. Is that all it takes to get the keyboard?  Jake, perhaps you can verify?
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 10:49pm
The red LED lights up when charging,then goes out. maybe it lights again when the battery is getting low
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 6:20am
Hurray!  New toy!

PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 8:18am
Hi Psimpson-

Yes, I observed the red light behavior you described, but it would be nice to have confirmation about a low-battery indication, and also some insight about how much battery life to expect. Also, I wonder whether there is any "auto-shutdown" capability in case the switch is left on after the Bluetooth connection with the IFD540 is terminated.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 9:08am

Love it!

* Orest

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 9:12am
Originally posted by cavu cavu wrote:

I thought I was signed up.  I registered my540. Is that all it takes to get the keyboard?  Jake, perhaps you can verify?

PM me your MyAvidyne username and I will verify that you are all set.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 9:39am
Originally posted by PA20Pacer PA20Pacer wrote:

Hi Psimpson-

Yes, I observed the red light behavior you described, but it would be nice to have confirmation about a low-battery indication, and also some insight about how much battery life to expect. Also, I wonder whether there is any "auto-shutdown" capability in case the switch is left on after the Bluetooth connection with the IFD540 is terminated.

Regards,

Bob

From experience at tradeshows, using the keyboard is that a typical charge/usage can last a few days without being recharged. 

I believe that the battery is only drained when the keys are pressed.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 1:24pm

I registered my AXP340 and IFD540 in November, 2014.  Apparently when I returned my IFD540 to Avidyne this past summer for modification/updates my IFD540 registration was deleted at Avidyne.

Discovered this today and talked to tech support. I am once again registered and hope to receive the keyboard.

Gary-T
warrenc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warrenc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Empty mailbox yesterday :(

David Bunin

I've been waiting for it in the mail box too, it won't come there.  We never use or open the front door, but that's where UPS drops things off.  While reading this thread, I went and looked, there it was sitting by the door.
Warren
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Gary T Gary T wrote:

I registered my AXP340 and IFD540 in November, 2014.  Apparently when I returned my IFD540 to Avidyne this past summer for modification/updates my IFD540 registration was deleted at Avidyne.

Discovered this today and talked to tech support. I am once again registered and hope to receive the keyboard.

The same happened to me and my registration was just re-added after I decided for some reason to recheck the registration when no kb arrived. No idea, though, how long it will take since I suppose we're now back at the end of the queue.
Vince
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:52pm
The Fed Ex guy delivered our shiny new keyboard today.   Have to take it to the airport for a test spin this weekend.   Wearing my Avidyne Insider T-shirt, of course.  (That came as an early Christmas present.)

I'll need to come up with a good place to park it in the cockpit so its always where I expect it, and it doesn't get lost in cockpit clutter - maybe a pocket in the center pedestal of our plane.   Ideas for the perfect parking place?
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:59pm
Maybe all of us that go to Sun and Fun should wear our t-shirts on one day like Saturday to advertise for Avidyne. Who knows maybe Avidyne will come up with some goodies on that day for all that wear the t-shirt or some food or something. 
Dave
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 11:03pm
Got my keyboard, thanks!  I see it has a nice backlight when you power it up that turns off quickly.  Is there a way to turn the backlight back on?  I see there is a lightbulb on the upper left, but that doesn't seem to do anything.  I'm playing with it at home in case it needs to be paired for this to work.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 11:50pm
Mine arrived today too.  No documentation, so I figure lots of trial and error.  
Found a video online... maybe the keyboard will save some button pushing on the 540.

Any advice on how to choose which (of Dual) 540 is "paired" ...Maybe it doesn't matter on FP's with cross-fill, but which unit will respond to the other functions??

Tom Wolf

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:00am
I have mine paired to the top but it doesn't really matter since they crossfill, however, I tend to use the top box for frequencies during flight (the bottom box for atis and ground control), so by using the top box, I can use the keyboard to enter frequencies during flight.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:02am
I have mine paired to the bottom box which I use most for FMS input.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:21am
So, how do you chose which IFD to pair to keyboard?

Also, has anyone used the Keyboard to control Audio "Volume" - Separate Pairing with Audio Panel vs IFD??

Tom Wolf

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:32am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

So, how do you chose which IFD to pair to keyboard?

Also, has anyone used the Keyboard to control Audio "Volume" - Separate Pairing with Audio Panel vs IFD??

Tom Wolf

You can pair it to which ever IFD you do the most data entry on. The pairing instructions are in 6-46 of the IFD540 Pilots Guide & 6-43 of the IFD440 PG.

The audio control buttons on the keyboard aren't mapped until 10.2.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 10:54am
Why does the back side of the keyboard have a molded indentation the size/shape of a memory card?  I don't see any place to insert or remove one.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 11:02am
100% pure and  total coincidence.  I swear.....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 11:48am

Here's Jakes set up:

1. CrossSync turned on both IFDs

2. Keyboard convenience mode turned on such that the lower IFD is the keyboard for upper IFD and not vice versa.

3. BT KB paired with lower IFD.

Since I use Freq List button or Com Presets for virtually all com tuning and I never manually tune a Nav freq, this is a really slick setup.  I never clutter up the upper IFD with a virtual keyboard.   In addition, I have fuel flow set up to the upper IFD so that box wakes up in Fuel Management page while the bottom box wakes up in FMS – FPL page all ready for me to whip out a flight plan using BT KB.

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 11:53am
Suggest you or Jake or Jared do a youtube video on this?
David Gates
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 12:17pm
So, it is interesting that my setup landed about the same as Jake with a few exceptions.

I have keyboard convenience mode turned on the lower box such that the upper box is a keyboard for the lower unit.  I use the lower box as my data entry box.  I also have the keyboard paired to this unit.

I have the fuel flow wired to my upper #1 IFD which boots up in the fuel management window.  It is also crossynced over to my #2 so the fuel range rings and other fuel planning works properly.

I have my #1 track up ranged in and my #2 North up ranged out.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

So, it is interesting that my setup landed about the same as Jake with a few exceptions.

I have keyboard convenience mode turned on the lower box such that the upper box is a keyboard for the lower unit.  I use the lower box as my data entry box.  I also have the keyboard paired to this unit.

I have the fuel flow wired to my upper #1 IFD which boots up in the fuel management window.  It is also crossynced over to my #2 so the fuel range rings and other fuel planning works properly.

I have my #1 track up ranged in and my #2 North up ranged out.

Is this sort of thing saved in a config file?  Is it possible to <electronically> share configs?
David Gates
Don View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Originally posted by Gary T Gary T wrote:

The same happened to me and my registration was just re-added after I decided for some reason to recheck the registration when no kb arrived. No idea, though, how long it will take since I suppose we're now back at the end of the queue.

I just re registered my 540 ... had to send my first one back in and they so graciously sent me another one that has been working flawlessly !!!! Not sure if the first one was deleted or not but i think i am all good to go now !!! And i did get the T shirt... THANKS SIMPSON !!!
pilot61f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot61f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

You can pair it to which ever IFD you do the most data entry on. The pairing instructions are in 6-46 of the IFD540 Pilots Guide & 6-43 of the IFD440 PG.

The audio control buttons on the keyboard aren't mapped until 10.2.

Great, my IFD540 Pilots Guide only goes to 6-41. I have Rev 00. Can I get an updated one?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:06pm

Here's Jakes set up:

Since I use Freq List button or Com Presets for virtually all com tuning and I never manually tune a Nav freq, this is a really slick setup.

Just wondering, when flying on an IFR plan and ATC gives you the next frequency, how do you enter this without manual entry either with keyboard or knobs?  Do you try to find the needed frequency in the Freq list and activate it?

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Here's Jakes set up:

Since I use Freq List button or Com Presets for virtually all com tuning and I never manually tune a Nav freq, this is a really slick setup.

Just wondering, when flying on an IFR plan and ATC gives you the next frequency, how do you enter this without manual entry either with keyboard or knobs?  Do you try to find the needed frequency in the Freq list and activate it?

I was wondering that too.  I find the frequency given to me by the controller in the freq list about 50% of the time so although I'd prefer to use the freq list, it hasn't worked out that way in reality.  It's definitely nice to have and if I missed a handoff while flying through the mountains, I have something to try on the other side and they'll give me the correct freq if I'm not in their area.

Edited by brou0040 - 13 Jan 2016 at 8:18pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:18pm
I always use the FREQ button in that case and find the freq is in the list over 90% of the time. I can fly down V3 from MA to FL and never miss a single freq in that list. Sometimes you may have to scroll down to bottom of list but I have never ever seen a 50% hit rate.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

I always use the FREQ button in that case and find the freq is in the list over 90% of the time. I can fly down V3 from MA to FL and never miss a single freq in that list. Sometimes you may have to scroll down to bottom of list but I have never ever seen a 50% hit rate.

I've made sure to scroll all the way down.  I'm in SoCal typically between 8 and 12kft, but find it even away from LA airspace.  To be more specific, I haven't really relied on the Airport or Recent tabs so I hit Freq twice to put it on the Enroute tab.  I'll try to capture some of the ones I miss.

I should also clarify that I'm guessing it's 50% of the handoffs, not 50% of the time.  The database does have the two local approach frequencies I use most often.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:27pm
I will have to try that and I guess everyone has their preferences but it seems by the time you hit the frequency button, scroll to the bottom looking for your frequency, and activate it, you could have manually entered it in with the knobs or wifi keyboard much quicker   
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:31pm
If it's listed, especially if you don't have to scroll to the bottom, it's faster from the freq page.  I can have the page up and waiting before they get to the freq while they are saying "Nxxx contact yyyy approach/center on".  Once they say the freq, it's a single touch to select it.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:31pm
Yes, scrolling is not frequent.  I find the only time i have to do that is over NYC where there are dozens of approach freqs when transiting the airspace at 5-7K.

I usually just press FREQ, see the one I want, touch it and it's in standby.

But, your point is a good one.  It's just crazy simple with a BT keyboard.  And even cooler in Release 10.2 where you can press COM to put focus on the standby slot.

And yes, if you find freqs that are not in the list, we're happy to hear about them and see why they are missing.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:31pm
Hmmm...   Never even tried using the freq button.  But I will... :)

mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:44pm
I flew tonight with my keyboard for the first time at night. I may be missing something but the back light didn't work even when paired. It only lights up briefly when turning on the power. Maybe there is some configuration or keystroke sequence on the keyboard that is needed to enable?
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 11:31am
This little light of mine.. 

I can't make shine

The keyboard back light is taunting me too.

I see it works at power up but cannot get it to turn on manually

What is the story?
Ed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 11:31am
Originally posted by edanford edanford wrote:

This little light of mine.. 

I can't make shine

The keyboard back light is taunting me too.

I see it works at power up but cannot get it to turn on manually

What is the story?
Do you have it paired to the IFD?
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 12:07pm
Is that a requirement?

Ed
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 12:12pm
Mine was paired and working with the 540 but I could not get the light to work. It was also fully charged. I was on a night flight so it was unusable at that point because I couldn't see the keys.
Mike
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 1:10pm
Did you hit the little "light bulb" button on the upper left side?
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 1:36pm
Yes. Several times. I actually tried several key combinations trying to get it to light up. Has anyone got it to work?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 1:50pm
Negative, no light up for me, except on initial ON.

* Orest

edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:10pm
I had to run up to hangar at lunch today

Mine does work once it is paired to my IFD540 and I have allowed it to talk to the unit

I had seen the other posts and assumed it would not work but mine does
Ed
lolsen94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:35pm
Has anyone flown using the keyboard. I am curious how easy to use in flight, especially with turbulence.
lolsen94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:38pm
I have not received either. Who do I contact?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic