Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MK10 Bluetooth Keyboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MK10 Bluetooth Keyboard
    Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 3:13pm
More exciting news from the FAA today. We have received STC for our Bluetooth MK10 keyboard. The MK10 Bluetooth Keyboard allows pilots to wirelessly control their panel-mounted IFD440 or IFD540 system. Activation of Bluetooth functionality requires IFD440/IFD540 software Release 10.1.1. Initially, the MK10 will allow remote entry of waypoints and flightplans, plus map range changing, and alpha-numeric data entry. An upcoming release (R10.2) will fully enable all MK10 functions including page and tab selection, Direct TO, and others.”

The MK10 will have a retail value of $299. For a limitied time, all customers who register or who have registered on www.MyAvidyne.com will receive the MK10 at no cost. If you own an IFD540 or IFD440 and have not registered at MyAvidyne.com, please do so now so you don't get left out when we begin sending MK10 keyboards.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Dlesh123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlesh123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 4:35pm
Since you mentioned it, software v 10.2. Instead of asking when you expect its approval, can you say when it was sent to the FAA? And if there has been any feedback during its review.

Just for rough planning purposes, it is suppose to do all the things we planned on when we bought the boxes last year, so instead of more multiple trips at 200 dollars per to the installer, like to make one trip to get 10.1.1, 10.2. ,Mlb 100 SB done at the same time.

Along with the keyboard, can we expect the new version of the paper manual at the same time, or will that come with 10.2?

Also, somewhere in there was a free t-shirt for some, i think for registereing.

Thanks
Doug

twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 5:04pm
what do I have to do to get my free keyboard?
I am already registered on MyAvidyne.com

Tim
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 5:13pm
I believe Avi said that anyone registered on myavidyne will automatically receive the keyboard once they start shipping
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 6:48pm

Originally posted by Dlesh123 Dlesh123 wrote:

so instead of more multiple trips at 200 dollars per to the installer, like to make one trip to get 10.1.1, 10.2. ,Mlb 100 SB done at the same time.

There is always a "next software" version coming.  That is the nature of software.  Each of us has to decide if the current software provides enough benefits to justify the cost of getting it installed. Naturally, everybody has a unique cost associated with upgrading, so the tipping point is different for each of us.

In other words, I would recommend against ever deciding to do an upgrade (or not) based on what you think may happen in the near (or distant) future.

Too much of that kind of thinking would prevent most of us from ever doing an avionics upgrade in the first place.

David Bunin

Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 7:42pm
Of course I'll take one if its free but this entire time I have wondered "why" I mean in most airplanes it's a short arms length away to reach the IFD. Is there a reason that I'm missing ?
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 8:59pm
Yep.  I have the same question as Bad.  But I'm keeping an open mind.  I might just love the heck out of that little keyboard.  Time will tell.

The other thing that concerns me is the size of the keyboard.  From the picture in the e-mail, it looks like it's not going to be much better than typing on a cellphone, and I hate that!.

We'll see how it goes... 
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 9:19pm
The key board works great for inputting user way points while on the ground. 
Dave
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 9:43pm
The keyboard is almost exactly the size of an iPhone 4S but the keys are so much better than typing on a flat screen. I give the keyboard to my 8yr old and he can bang a flight plan into the FMS with no issues.
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 10:50pm
Yeah. Forget the tiny keyboard. I want an APP!
Ron L
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 10:06am
The keyboard is quite easy to use although many of its functions are not unleased yet.  Mine fits perfectly right on my yoke and is easy to access.  Even though the keys are small, it is not a problem inputting data even in bumps as I rest my hand next to it on the yoke.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 10:40am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

The keyboard is quite easy to use although many of its functions are not unleased yet.  Mine fits perfectly right on my yoke and is easy to access.  Even though the keys are small, it is not a problem inputting data even in bumps as I rest my hand next to it on the yoke.

Do you mind capturing and posting a picture next time you go flying?  I'm trying to visualize how you'd use it on a yoke.  I'm thinking I'm going to move things around on my center console/armrest and put it there.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 11:28am
I'll take a photo later today or tomorrow

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 5:52pm

I have no idea how much or how little I will use a keyboard, but I think it's a novel feature, and I want to find out.

I avoid touching the screen any more than I need to, so a keyboard would save me from a bit of knob twisting when entering flight plans.  If I touch the screen all the time, I end up needing to clean it all the time.

David Bunin

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 6:09pm
David:

Do you clean your screen with the "Clean and Sparkle" product?

David Gates
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 3:28pm

Here is a photo I took today that shows the keyboard on my yoke.  Really very easy to use and I actually find it easier to enter a flightplan using that than the knobs and buttons.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 3:49pm
https://youtu.be/aYlit4sm9lw

This is a short video that I did that demonstrates the ease of entering a flight plan with the keyboard  If you have dual 540s/440s, it appears you would pair the keyboard with only one of the boxes as the information will sync to the other box anyway.  I'd like to hear if anyone with dual boxes has any other suggestions for ease of use.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 4:13pm
Very nice, thanks for sharing.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 4:42pm
Thanks for posting! Now, I can't wait.

* Orest

Dlesh123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlesh123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 7:46pm
David, yes the next software version is always on the horizon, but in July it was 10.2 that was going to provide the functionality that we were all expecting from our original purchases, that now is being dribbled out in pieces. More of what 10.2 was going to provide is yet to come. I am not looking for much of anything past 10.2. ( unless flaws are found)
There is certainly more to the story for the frustration level, but not appropriate for discussion here.
sephi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sephi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 8:40am
Oh yes,  How will the keyboard work if you have two IFD's installed? Do you get two keyboards?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 9:37am
I believe you will get 2 but I don't see how you can use 2 if your 2 boxes are setup to sync with each other.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Do you clean your screen with the "Clean and Sparkle" product?

I put rubbing alcohol on a microfiber cloth and clean it with that.  (I got the microfiber cloth from the place where I get my eyeglasses.)

The cleaning process seems fine.  I just don't like fingerprints on screens, and I guess I have more natural skin oils than some pilots.  Also, since the winter season is upon us, I have discovered that my favorite gloves are not touch screen compatible.

David

Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 10:38pm
Nice video. A brush up withthe factory video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7p8d6EpdGpI
Just watching that, I was reminded of a few things I had forgotten. Like entering a frequency no need to put the "1" in at the beginning.
ptlevine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 9:58am

Here is a photo I took today that shows the keyboard on my yoke.  Really very easy to use and I actually find it easier to enter a flightplan using that than the knobs and buttons.
I recognize that instrument panel. You are flying a Trinidad right? I used to fly a Tobago many moons ago. Great cabin in those Socata's!
cbenedikt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbenedikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 11:01am
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

More exciting news from the FAA today. We have received STC for our Bluetooth MK10 keyboard. The MK10 Bluetooth Keyboard allows pilots to wirelessly control their panel-mounted IFD440 or IFD540 system. Activation of Bluetooth functionality requires IFD440/IFD540 software Release 10.1.1. Initially, the MK10 will allow remote entry of waypoints and flightplans, plus map range changing, and alpha-numeric data entry. An upcoming release (R10.2) will fully enable all MK10 functions including page and tab selection, Direct TO, and others.”

The MK10 will have a retail value of $299. For a limitied time, all customers who register or who have registered on www.MyAvidyne.com will receive the MK10 at no cost. If you own an IFD540 or IFD440 and have not registered at MyAvidyne.com, please do so now so you don't get left out when we begin sending MK10 keyboards.

Hi Simpson -

When do you expect Avidyne to begin shipping the MK10 out to those registered on MyAvidyne.com?  Looking forward to giving the keyboard a try. 

Craig

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 11:31am
Shipping of the MK10 should begin in the next week or so.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by ptlevine ptlevine wrote:

I recognize that instrument panel. You are flying a Trinidad right? I used to fly a Tobago many moons ago. Great cabin in those Socata's!

I was going to ask if that was a Trinidad.  I recently saw an Avidyne print advertisement (in AOPA I think) featuring a Trinidad owner.  Is that you, "teeth6"?

David

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 1:58pm
Yes, that's him
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:36am
I received my Keyboard yesterday thanks.  Just waiting to try it in the plane once I get my 540 installed.  Hopefully the shop will start soon.

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 1:03pm
How long should us registered folks wait for ours to arrive before starting to query when it's coming?

Vince
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 1:46pm
I registered about 3 or 4 weeks ago. +/-
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 1:49pm
If you don't receive a keyboard by the end of January, then let me know and we will research it. We should have them to you well before then.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Kentwkalb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentwkalb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 9:56pm
Received my keyboard today.   Solidly constructed, good weight. Looking forward to flying with the newest "addition".
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 7:52am
First post... I got mine also. I have yet to fly it yet but am real close.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 8:15am

Good to hear it Mark.

There was an Avidyne package in my mailbox yesterday too.  I am pleased to report that I have received ... my T-shirt.

Still waiting for that other thing.

David Bunin

cbenedikt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbenedikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 11:22am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Good to hear it Mark.

There was an Avidyne package in my mailbox yesterday too.  I am pleased to report that I have received ... my T-shirt.

Still waiting for that other thing.

David Bunin

T-shirt???  How does one get a T-shirt.  I did receive my keyboard and cannot wait to try it out. 

Craig

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 12:16pm
I've got a UPS package from Avidyne scheduled for delivery tomorrow (Friday, Jan 8).  I'm pretty sure it's the BT keyboard.  We'll see...
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:27pm
My keyboard just arrived - testing tomorrow!
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:33pm
Disappointment alert:

you will be disappointed (right now) at the current software version.  Basically only the number keys do anything, so you will think "No big deal".

David

David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:36pm
Don't forget all letter keys, the up/down, left/right, CLR, ENTR.

As limiting as that sounds, it's quite capable.  Use the up/down and left/right arrows to navigate around as you would using the dual concentric keyboard knob in the lower right corner of the IFD.

You can build an entire flight plan is seconds using the keyboard in the current software version.

(10.2 enables everything).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 12:11pm
Just got mine today...

Is there any consensus on the best way to mount the keyboard? I'm assuming Velcro...

Rolfe

ptlevine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 1:07pm
Mine just arrived today. I am excited to try it out and appreciative that Avidyne sent this to early adopters without being lobbied. 
Quick question, can the keyboard be charged with any usb charger? 
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by rolfe_tessem rolfe_tessem wrote:

Just got mine today...

Is there any consensus on the best way to mount the keyboard? I'm assuming Velcro...

Rolfe

Most will probably use velcro.

I got a thing from Sporty's called the Pilot Pocket.  It suction cups to the pilot side window and holds sunglasses, pen, and keyboard.

David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by ptlevine ptlevine wrote:

Quick question, can the keyboard be charged with any usb charger? 

Yes, presuming you have the right sized/shaped version for the keyboard size.   I've used two different ones that worked just fine and I keep one in the airplane to charge from the IFD if needed.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 6:21pm
It came with a charger cable!!!!  Thank you for the Christmas present Santa Steve!! or should I be thanking Simpson?  Thank you to all the Avidyne elves that made this possible.

Edited by tony - 08 Jan 2016 at 6:23pm
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 6:51pm
I also got a package from Avidyne today.  I was hoping it was a t-shirt but it was the keyboard and charging cable.  It does look cute.  We'll try it when the plane comes out of annual.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 6:56pm
Got my T-shirt yesterday!
David Gates
cbenedikt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbenedikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Got my T-shirt yesterday!

Got my keyboard but still waiting for my T-shirt.
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 10:04pm
Got my keyboard but still waiting for my printed manual :-)

Rolfe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic