Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MLB100 Traffic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 1:43pm

That doesn't sound right to me.  They power up together and work just fine in my airplane.

David Bunin

roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Does your shop have experience with NavWorx installations? In other words they have "done a couple" of NavWorx installations or Avidyne installations?

Both.  I know they were familiar with the NavWorx and it's console, but they knew not to mess with the Avidyne using the console.

The shop purchased some external piece of ADS-B equipment that can transmit UAT/1090 targets and that's what they've used, so they know it kinda works with those targets, but they were concerned there was some piece of programming they were missing (i.e. aircraft ID or hex code, etc.) for it to function correctly.

I was just told today the IFDs and the MLB's can't be powered up simultaneously due to some issue with the A429 bus or A735B data.  Like the MLB100 falsely putting out incorrect SSMs on the labels and never working correctly after that point (this is my assumption based on the info provided).  I'll let Avidyne comment since it is a known issue to them and I'm just putting together 3rd hand info I was told today.

DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 12:50pm

Originally posted by roltman roltman wrote:

The shop also had some questions about how the MLB100 is programmed as they've done a couple now it and it shows traffic correctly with their ground test equipment which throws out some false targets, but I'm not seeing any traffic in flight.

Does your shop have experience with NavWorx installations? In other words they have "done a couple" of NavWorx installations or Avidyne installations?

I know that the NavWorx field programming software has that function (traffic simulation mode).  I also know that if they used the NavWorx software to program your unit, it will interfere with the Avidyne interface in some way, but I do not know the detail of that interference.

The Avidyne units are programmed at the factory.  (I don't think there is a field software for them, so what equipment is your shop using to simulate traffic?)  A shop that is used to doing NavWorx installations might accidentally de-program an MLB unit if they don't read the Avidyne instructions carefully.

David Bunin

roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 11:35am
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

On my airplane when my shop installed my 340, they asked me what frequency my ADSB in was going to be.  I told them I was 978.  They had to submit some paper work telling the FAA that I need the 1090 rebroadcasted.  I have no idea what that paperwork was, but I remember the discussion. 

That's a setting on the 340 to broadcast what "In" you have.  I have it setup correctly and it was confirmed by the FAA. 

Spoke with my shop this morning, apparently there's some known ARINC issues and how power's applied.  I'll let Avidyne elaborate as I'd be repeating 3rd hand info.

The shop also had some questions about how the MLB100 is programmed as they've done a couple now it and it shows traffic correctly with their ground test equipment which throws out some false targets, but I'm not seeing any traffic in flight.

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 10:03am
On my airplane when my shop installed my 340, they asked me what frequency my ADSB in was going to be.  I told them I was 978.  They had to submit some paper work telling the FAA that I need the 1090 rebroadcasted.  I have no idea what that paperwork was, but I remember the discussion. 
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 9:52am
Took a 3200nm flight this last week with the MLB100 and traffic turned on.  I only saw one target the entire trip (numerous traffic calls by ATC though) with the traffic set to "unrestricted".

I'm going to talk to my shop, but I was at 15,000 over Kansas City class B yesterday where I saw the one target and it was shown at my altitude at less than 1nm.  I asked ATC and the only traffic there was a airliner on approach at ~3000' or ~12,000' below me.

Not 100% sure how the altitude is determined for display.  I know the IFDs have proper altitude from the encoder and my AXP340 does too.  It has ADS-B out turned on and FAA report came back with a "gold star".

The MLB100 was supposed to use the "parroted"AXP340 pressure altitude values.

Also sporadically I would get a "Traffic Sensor Fault" message on the IFD540 about every say hour or two and they'd last only a few seconds.  I assume it was just a issue with a ground station? 

I also noted that the traffic data tab looked normal under this fault state until a brief flicker to a "Red X" when unit returned to normal ops.  Wondering if it shouldn't be a "Red X" the entire time the IFD540 has a yellow traffic sensor fault?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic