Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic pattern direction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traffic pattern direction
    Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 9:55am
Hi,

the IFD540 seems to provide everything that I need but there is one thing that I can't seem to find.  Is there any place where it will provide information on whether a specific runway is left or right hand traffic?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 9:11am
No, that information is not on the IFD540.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 11:45am
I'm thinking if you go to the info tab and bring up the destination airport, the pattern information might be there but I cant be 100 percent sure until I go look. 
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 11:47am
That was my thought initially but it wasn't there on the Sim. I checked if it was on the airport diagrams from Jepp but that was a no go also.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:06pm
It's not there. I had previously submitted a request to include the pattern direction overlaid on the runway depiction on the info tab.
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 6:08pm
FlyQ has it on the map.  Don't know about Foreflight
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 9:59pm
ForeFlight provides pattern direction (e,g, left traffic) in the Traffic Pattern box in the runway tab for the airport.
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 6:09am
I suspect this is due to the use of Jepp as Navdata & chart data source. If Jepp doesn't provide it, it won't be available on the 540.

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 10:29am
Correct, we don't show traffic pattern direction on the IFD because that data is not in the Jepp data we get.  
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 7:57am
Hi Steve-

I am sure your statement is correct. However, I will make the observation that traffic pattern direction is available on my Trimble 2000 Approach Plus, which is also updated through Jeppesen, so there may be some possibility of obtaining that information.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 1:46pm
I bet that the Jep Pricing model adds another $1000 a year for that data. 

*ducking*
Freff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 9:20am
FYI I found the traffic pattern info! On the airport diagram there is a box with comments Inside saying runway xx is right traffic. So far for every airport that I have gone into with a right pattern it was noted in this way.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 9:32pm
The sim starts with KMLB as the default starting point, can you use that as an example for where you found the data?  I don't see it.  Thanks.
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

The sim starts with KMLB as the default starting point, can you use that as an example for where you found the data?  I don't see it.  Thanks.

For example:

Change the airport to KFPR
Go to the Chart tab and display the airport chart and Plan view. In the upper left hand corner of the chart a text box is located. The last few sentences indicate which runways have right traffic.
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
pilotgeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilotgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 9:23am
Sadly, that is not in any way consistent.  Check out a few other airports with right hand traffic.
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 10:07am
To Pilot Geek,

Not sure what you would like it to be?

All Jeppesen can do is report what has been given to them by whatever authority is operating the airport via the FAA or directly.

Happy Skies,
Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 10:44am
Originally posted by BobsV35B BobsV35B wrote:

To Pilot Geek,

Not sure what you would like it to be?

All Jeppesen can do is report what has been given to them by whatever authority is operating the airport via the FAA or directly.

Happy Skies,
Old Bob

Where does airnav.com/AOPA/iFly/Adventure Pilot/fltplan.com/.../.../... and everybody else get information that Jepp cannot?

As an example for my home airport, KIYK, the FAA has published runway patterns, but Jepp does not supply it, at least not that I can find in the 540.  It's actually important at KIYK because they changed the pattern for 20 (a long time ago) because a left pattern will likely put you into the restricted area immediately east of the airport.
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 4:09pm
Good Afternoon Pilot Geek, 

A very good question indeed!

I checked the AirNav listng for KIYK (Inyokern) and find no mention of any specified traffic pattern direction. Neither the government charts or the Jeppesen charts list the right turn for Rwy 20. 

However, ForeFlight DOES list right traffic for Rwy 20, but not on the approach plate. Where do YOU suppose they got that information?

What have I missed?

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 4:28pm
Pilot Geek,

I did check the Google Earth picture of Inyokern and see that your segmented circle around the Wind Sock is properly marked and in good shape. Very nice!

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 4:44pm
I thought vendors such as ForeFlight got it from the FAA AF/D data? Remember that book our instructors told us about?  I just googled "AF/D FAA Data" and got to a page where you can get an XML file with the data.

Edited by flybikeski - 07 Apr 2016 at 4:45pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by BobsV35B BobsV35B wrote:

Good Afternoon Pilot Geek, 

A very good question indeed!

I checked the AirNav listng for KIYK (Inyokern) and find no mention of any specified traffic pattern direction. Neither the government charts or the Jeppesen charts list the right turn for Rwy 20. 

However, ForeFlight DOES list right traffic for Rwy 20, but not on the approach plate. Where do YOU suppose they got that information?

What have I missed?

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Go HERE (http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_safety/airportdata_5010/), which is an FAA.gov website.

For the example of IYK, go to the City pulldown and select Inyokern, then hit submit.  This will bring you to a page to access information about the airport.  Under Data Downloads, Select Airport Runways Data, this will provide you with a .xls download.  You should also look at the data dictionary for how understand the previous .xls data.

In the spreadsheet, you'll find that 02/20 has BaseEndRightTrafficPattern set to N (Left traffic for 02) and ReciprocalEndRightTrafficPattern set to Y (Right traffic for 20), all of the rest of the fields are N for left traffic for 15, 33, 10, and 28.

You may think this was a lot of work for 1 airport, but you could have left all of the fields in the request form to 'ALL' and been able to pull all of the information at once, the file is under 6MB.

Here is the snippet from airnav showing that runway 20 is right traffic.

RUNWAY 2  RUNWAY 20
Latitude: 35-38.896000N35-39.783667N
Longitude: 117-50.002167W117-49.352000W
Elevation: 2441.6 ft.2413.7 ft.
Gradient: 0.4%0.4%
Traffic pattern: leftright

Edited by brou0040 - 07 Apr 2016 at 8:02pm
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 8:41am
Hello All-

I just verified that the right traffic pattern for runway 20 at IYK is shown in the airport database for my Trimble 2000 Approach Plus, so presumably there is some means for accessing this information through Jeppesen. 

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
pilotgeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilotgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 3:54am
From the FAA the traffic pattern information (altitude, where present, and direction -- always) is available in the book formerly known as the AFD -- now the Chart Supplement.

It is my recollection that the data is available from Jeppesen, but it may not be in the data that Avidyne gets from Jeppesen, depending upon what they have requested/negotiated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic