Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Major Positive Development with ADS-B Traffic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Major Positive Development with ADS-B Traffic
    Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 3:05pm
It's probably appropriate to talk about this now.   After weeks of heavy duty discussions and lobbying with various parts of the FAA, we appear to be very close to displaying ADS-B traffic on the IFD540 and IFD440.

If all continues to go well, this will NOT require a new software load beyond Release 10.1.1.0 which *should* be available in the next 2 weeks or so.

As for a little more background for those who care or understand some of the organization of the FAA, we convinced the Small Aircraft Directorate in Kansas City and the AIR-130 group at the DC FAA Headquarters that it would be safer and smarter to start allowing ADS-B traffic display on the IFDs now.  They in turn have communicated their new position to the Boston cert office (ACO) that handles our day-to-day operations and certification.  So now we're knocking out the tactical operations to make this happen in the next 2ish weeks to include updating the IFD-MLB100 Service Information Letter and the IFD Installation Manual, adding a new selection for MLB100 traffic in the IFD setup pages.

This version of ADS-B traffic will display conventional traffic icons and not the new ADS-B traffic icons and may only work with MLB100 ADS-B In Receivers but new symbology and more ADS-B In receiver support is coming with Release 10.2 in a few months.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 3:09pm
Terrific, Jake.  Thanks for the update.  It should just be in time for my MLB100 install next week (finally arrived).

Dave
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
mkellock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkellock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 3:33pm
That's exciting! I hope it all works out for all of our benefit.
Piper Archer II
PA28-181
Tampa, FL
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 9:07am
Thanks very much for your persistence to get traffic enabled and approved!
B2C2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B2C2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 2:25pm
Hi

This is probably a lot to ask for, but I for one would like it if you could enable ADS-B IN from the Stratus line of receivers. I already have this and it works very well for traffic and weather on the ipad, but would like to see it on the 540 if possible. I have my stratus connected to ships power, so if its working, its available. With the external antenna I often have a signal on the ground so the signal strength is more than adequate. Traffic targets are very accurate, typically presenting themselves well before ATC gives me a heads up if there's a problem. In short its a more than adequate solution, and is broadcasting on wifi so easily picked up in the cockpit.

Ben
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by B2C2 B2C2 wrote:

Hi

This is probably a lot to ask for, but I for one would like it if you could enable ADS-B IN from the Stratus line of receivers. I already have this and it works very well for traffic and weather on the ipad, but would like to see it on the 540 if possible. I have my stratus connected to ships power, so if its working, its available. With the external antenna I often have a signal on the ground so the signal strength is more than adequate. Traffic targets are very accurate, typically presenting themselves well before ATC gives me a heads up if there's a problem. In short its a more than adequate solution, and is broadcasting on wifi so easily picked up in the cockpit.

Ben

Nice thought - but there's no way a Certified unit (IFD 540) is ever going to display information from an uncertified unit (Stratus).
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 3:37pm
I wouldn't bet on absolutes these days.  Garmin allows for flight plan information from an iPad to be transferred to the certified panel mounted GPS units via flightstream, and I don't believe the iPad to be a certified piece of avionics.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 5:24pm
I'd be willing to bet that they could get over the certification hurdle, but I seriously doubt Avidyne would invest any amount of effort into importing ADS-B weather and/or traffic from a Stratus-type unit via WIFI simply because it would slow down sales of their ADS-B IN box (MLB-100).  

I think it would be a HUGE selling point for the IFD-540, but I'm not holding my breath.  I gave up on the MLB-100 a while back due to the lack of traffic, and I'm going to stick with Foreflight for traffic and weather for the time being.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

...but I seriously doubt Avidyne would invest any amount of effort into importing ADS-B weather and/or traffic from a Stratus-type unit via WIFI simply because it would slow down sales of their ADS-B IN box (MLB-100)....  

There are so many development projects which are "in queue" right now that I doubt they would be inclined to take on any more value adds....
David Gates
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 6:06pm
I don't know why everything has to be a separate box.  I got he Avidyne ADS-B transponder and the 540 and still must buy another $3000 box to get ADS-B in.  Seems like that combo would have been enough.  Will stick with my Clarity.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by cavu cavu wrote:

I don't know why everything has to be a separate box.  I got he Avidyne ADS-B transponder and the 540 and still must buy another $3000 box to get ADS-B in.  Seems like that combo would have been enough.  Will stick with my Clarity.

I can think of a couple reasons:

1. Because there's a world outside the US who have no use for ADS-B in.
2. You have Sat Wx or Radar and TAS, but need 1090ES to be 2020 legal.

I guess you could have an old non-WAAS G1000 box and be looking a limited path forward without spending $70k for a new all in one wonder box.
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 10:37pm
Will the Lynx L-3 products be able to be displayed on the 540 at some point ?
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Bad1996 Bad1996 wrote:

Will the Lynx L-3 products be able to be displayed on the 540 at some point ?

Hello ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic