Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

540-440 integration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 540-440 integration
    Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 5:33pm
I am considering Dual IFD's by adding a 440 to my existing 540, but with a few questions.  The potential Dual-integration looks very tight, but I am wondering:

Can the IFD's also be used separately/independently of each other (by switchable setup page)?
        eg. Decide during a flight to have a separate Flight Plan on 440, like Direct To Nearest, while the 540 continues with its more complex FP?

Thanks for any wisdom.

Tom Wolf

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 6:06pm
Depending on exactly what you are expecting, the answer is either a firm "Yes", or a "Sort of".

In the Maintenance Mode pages, the unit data sharing ("CrossSync") can be turned off.  In that case, you have two completely independent IFDs.

If that's too extreme, then the answer becomes "Sort Of".   When CrossSync is turned on, and the software and databases match across the IFDs, you have two instantiations of the same FMS plan running on the two IFDs.  From that sense, you have only one active flight plan at a time, period.    We are continuing to add more capability to the IFDs to include a "Route Preview" mode in a future release that will let your system keep flying the active route, while you visually look at/edit/create an alternative plan.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 7:13pm
A great function for dual IFD users will be to move all of the route preview MAP functions to the second IFD.  This would include when hitting the PROC button, selecting arrivals, etc.  This way, one IFD becomes the data entry box, and the second box displays all of the MAP features with the larger real estate.
fritz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 9:27pm
Great idea.  How is this done?
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by fritz fritz wrote:

Great idea.  How is this done?

With programming???
fritz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 10:16pm
Oh, so its not currently implemented.  I thought it was a feature that I missed.  
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 12:14am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Depending on exactly what you are expecting, the answer is either a firm "Yes", or a "Sort of".

In the Maintenance Mode pages, the unit data sharing ("CrossSync") can be turned off.  In that case, you have two completely independent IFDs.

If that's too extreme, then the answer becomes "Sort Of".   

Thanks Steve.  Maintenance Mode in flight might be a bit extreme, but a great wish-list for future LSK-button/touch choice would be "Cross-Synch"/ "Un-Synch".

Presently, as a Direct-To, my old backup GPS (SL50) displays on Aspen PFD as an RMI arrow, with distance/bearing.  This would be a very handy feature for the Dual IFDX40 to "unsynch" at will.

Tom Wolf 
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 11:04am
Yes, we have the flight mode LSK on/off option for CrossSync in our candidate feature database.  No release assignment yet.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 11:49am
Steve,

On another thread, I questioned the possibility of somehow outputting an IFD540 pin-out from  data block like "Nearest Apt":

Is it possible to tap into some ?429-pin-out from a data block to display on the Aspen PFD RMI inputs?

Tom Wolf
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 11:57am
I'm sure it's possible.   I'll add it to the candidate database now.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 12:49pm
Thanks Steve.

If possible, even more dynamic would be to "pin-out" from selected Nearest LSK choice: Apt, VOR, Intersection, etc to output for display on Aspen - to display on RMI and also highlight on 540 screen selected Nearest item.

Tom Wolf
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:53pm
I wanted to add my vote for higher priority on the CrossSync LSK button or any mechanism to selectively or temporarily disable the crossfill. I have about 40 hours behind the 540/440 setup and this is now my number one wish list item since the 10.1.1 update resolved all the other priority items. Thanks for that!
Mike
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:55pm
Yikes.  I'll enter it in the candidate database but this is a large undertaking architecturally.  It's all a bunch of non-visible "under the hood" kind of work that has tentacles in many areas.

We'll look at it but it's not a sure bet.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:57pm
I meant the selective part, not necessarily the temporary disablement.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:07pm
Temporary would actually be my preferred option. Based on your explanation on the scope of the selective change I don't think that should be high priority - if at all. 
My primary need would be to run What if" scenarios to be able to quickly recalculate fuel , time en route, etc based on a different routing or possible alternate destination-  without having to take the autopilot out of nav mode. Today the only way I know to do that is to put the AP in heading mode and enter the new plan - see the results - then put the original plan back in. If you're flying up or down the northeast that can be quite a few way points to re-enter. I used this pretty often with my old dual 430 setup which auto crossfilled from #1 to #2 but didn't auto crossfill from #2 to #1.  I believe the temporary feature would accomplish this. Thanks!
Mike
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:10pm
Well in that scenario, what I think you're really asking for is enhanced route preview capability.   Even a temporary disablement of CrossSync is fraught with challenges when you try to turn it back on within a power cycle.  What box is master?  What do you do with all the other boxes info?   And a bunch of under-the-hood state change kind of stuff.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:18pm
The following is strictly hypothetical, sitting around a campfire drinking whiskey and telling stories but..... imagine a scenario where you had the full IFD software running on a tablet that is connected to the panel IFD via WiFi.  You could sever that WiFi connection, work up your what-if scenarios real-time on what sure looks and feels like an IFD, and when happy, reconnect the WiFi and send that new plan to the panel IFD.  Would that do the trick?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:34pm
I fully understand that effort might not justify the change. I appreciate that I can ask the question and it be considered. 
I like outside the box thinking like this. Will this tablet APP have current nav data, charts, approaches? Would it require a separate subscription?  Actually that's how I have to do the 'what if' scenarios now (but I use foreflight). In fact that is the only reason I use the IPAD anymore in the plane. I guess with all the great capability of my avionics (I also have Cirrus with CMAX on MFD) I was thinking I wouldn't need a tablet in the cockpit anymore. 
Mike
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by mgrimes mgrimes wrote:

Will this tablet APP have current nav data, charts, approaches? Would it require a separate subscription?  

I don't know - this was all strictly hypothetical......
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:42pm
Interesting because this selective cross sync feature is the ONE thing I knew I would miss going from dual 430s to dual 540s.  I had specifically asked my salesperson if the 540s would do this and I was disappointed to hear they were full cross sync all the time both directions or none at all.     I also had my 430s to cross sync from #1 to #2 but NOT the other way.  I also used the #2 to develop "what if" plans without affecting my autopilot and when done, I just hit "direct to" on my #1 to re-sync with the #2 box.  The scenario you paint, Jake, with the tablet would be a suitable work around but my preference would still be to have this feature in the boxes themselves as I don't always have my tablet with me when flying.  (and others may not use a tablet at all).
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:46pm
Understood.  One of the fundamental differences of the IFDs, especially dual IFDs, is that they are a dual instantiation of the same FMS.  This is a full-up FMS system and not two independent navigators.     That comes with huge advantages and as we can see in this scenario, some operational drawbacks from how folks have, or want to, use the system.

Let's see how things develop this year on that front.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 11:28pm
I don't want to create a reason for the hypothetical app not to materialize, but...

Just thinking out loud, you can copy your current route on the FMS/ROUTE tab, then play with that route.  I don't think that flight plan is populated with fuel or times, but perhaps it could.

Better yet, when highlighting the Current Route, there are only two LSKs for Invert and Copy.  Perhaps a new one could be added for something like Modify Current Route.  When you hit that LSK, it creates a copy called Modified Current Route and fully populates the fields and lets you do what ifs, none of the changes take effect until you hit the existing Activate Route LSK.  If you want to do look at multiple alternates, hitting Modify Current Route could create Modified Current Route (2), Modified Current Route (3), etc.

The only difference I see now is that building a route from the ROUTE tab rather than the FPL tab is that you don't have any preview while building routes or adding approaches.  Perhaps holding the FMS rocker key could also shrink the ROUTE tab in order to preview just like the FPL tab (please don't add a ROUTE/MAP label since that gets in the way when looking at flight plans in the full screen mode).

Edited by brou0040 - 13 Jan 2016 at 11:35pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 9:21am
Instead of wasting developer time with hobbling the crosslink design, I think the far better solution for this is to create a MODIFY CURRENT ROUTE facility, that would allow for time and fuel figures and what if's, which could then be optionally activated.

* Orest

AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:03am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Instead of wasting developer time with hobbling the crosslink design, I think the far better solution for this is to create a MODIFY CURRENT ROUTE facility, that would allow for time and fuel figures and what if's, which could then be optionally activated.

* Orest

Agree, or I also like Steve's suggestion of using an iPad or tablet app, once all the information was downloadable and uploadable. 

It would work well if ForeFlight (for example) downloaded the current FP, and then you could "muck about" in it, try your alternatives, and then upload the result, if desired.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
pilotgeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilotgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

+1

That is how the CNX-80/GNS-480 work, and how most of the big iron FMSs work as well.  Note that there should be an easy way to make the default be that changes are not applied until executed.  This could probably be executed in the context of the IFDs by allowing the routes to reference "live" data to allow for the what if, then allowing the route to be activated and have it pick up in the right position automatically as the route is copied to the active flight plan (which I believe is largely the case today).

While on the topic, it would also be great if one could get full graphical viewing/editing when creating a flight plan through the route page just the same as it is available on the FPL page.  It is just more convenient to have there when working other routes (for example, a return trip route while enroute outbound).

Regards,
Neal
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 10:17pm
Steve,

If I want to "Un-Synch" my Dual 540's for example, for Independent GPS #2 Direct To ops, please outline how this can be done - where exactly in ?Maintenance Mode, and how many steps are required?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Wolf 
NZFlyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 4:36am
I would like the advantages of sync duel operations, but with the flexibility of being able to fully utilise the RMI capabilities of my Aspen pro and do "what if" planning on my #2 IFD without affecting the present navigation of the aircraft.
Teeth 6 suggested a one way traffic system - inputs to IFD 1 are synced to IFD 2 but not the other way around. This could be a good solution with some more thought. I see this as selectable, say, fully duel operations, partial duel operations (as Teeth 6) or independent operations.
Tom Wolf also eludes to a solution - inflight selection of duel operations or Independant operations. I am sure this might raise a few eyebrows with the FAA, however any confusion as to which mode was being operated could be mitigated with an alert of some sort.
The marvels of duel operations have some pretty inconvenient consequences. Flexibility, and user selectibility are surely the way to maximise the potential of this great equipment. Different strokes for different folks.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 8:29am
To be sure I understand the sync operations, this does not prevent using the 2nd unit to set up a cross-radial while following a flight plan that is sync'd between the 2 units, or does it?

Vince
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 10:17am
Not sure I see any conflict with FAA or other governing body with using IFD #2 as such - separate Un-Synched GPS.  For those of us with Aspen RMI capability, this is extremely easy and useful for position reporting and showing an RMI arrow to a "direct-to" target.

Before my IFD #2, I did exactly the same thing with a backup GPS (SL50).

Tom Wolf
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 4:05pm
My question was about operating capability/options with a 540/440 in sync mode, rather than a regulatory one. I know that sync mode means the two units are using the same flight plan, but does that inhibit cdi mode on the 440/#2 (for example to identify a cross-radial) while #1 is following the gps flight plan? I believe not, but would like to hear from someone who has tried it.

Vince
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 4:34pm
Vince,
I will try this tomorrow in Hangar, but I am pretty sure Un-Synching Port-3 on both IFD's only Un-Synchs the RS232 data link.  

So, expect to confirm that the #1 and #2 IFD VOR/GPS info is separately outputted to your CDI (s) and unaffected by Un-Synch - unlike changing from GPS to OBS Mode on either IFD which places both in OBS, but I don't think this is via the RS232 cross-synch either.

On the other hand, I expect my MLB ADSB Wx now shared between both IFD's will only display on #2 after Un-Synch as I believe it is hard wired to my #2 IFD RS232 input (and shared by #1 via cross Synch).... the TAS605 I believe is ARINC429 to my #1 IFD only, and unaffected by the Un-Synch.

Tom Wolf 
clydeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clydeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

To be sure I understand the sync operations, this does not prevent using the 2nd unit to set up a cross-radial while following a flight plan that is sync'd between the 2 units, or does it?

Yes, it does! With cross-sync turned on all changes in navigation on one unit will be copied automatically to the other unit. So if you are flying a flight plan on #1 and have cross-sync enabled you cannot do "direct-to" another GPS waypoint on the #2 in order to get an RMI pointer to that waypoint. If you do, the #1 reflects the same change and will start flying you to that point.

You can dial up a VOR and get a bearing to that - but obviously no distance.

Without cross-sync turned on you do not get the keyboard pop-up on the other unit, alerts cancelled on one do not cancel the other, etc. Cross-sync is all or nothing at present.

So one of the changes I'd like to see is a way to have cross-sync turned on but to selectively choose what gets copied and in what direction - just like the Garmin 430 did, where I had cross-fill enabled in one direction only.

NZFlyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 8:01pm
"one of the changes I'd like to see is a way to have cross-sync turned on but to selectively choose what gets copied and in what direction - just like the Garmin 430 did, where I had cross-fill enabled in one direction only."
+1

Edited by NZFlyer - 22 Jan 2016 at 8:04pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 9:25pm
OK, I couldn't wait until tomorrow to try the Un-Synch.
I really liked separating the IFD's function, discovering mostly positive and much better situational awareness capability.  

The 540 capability never ceases to amaze!!

Pro:
1.  #2 IFD "Direct to" displays on Aspen RMI indicator (GPS 2) showing radial and distance.  This can be done from the "Nearest" page (Apt, VOR, Wpt...) on IFD #2.

2.  Turning on #2 OBS displays only on #2 IFD independent of #1 IFD in GPS mode, with #2 OBS knob then able to rotate the intercept radial to selected Flight Plan Wpt on FMS page.

3.  Create Separate "what if" Flight Plan on #2 IFD, and then able to source the new FP from Aspen PFD (pick GPS#2) as new input to Auto-pilot/GPSS.

4.  Happy to see my MLB Traffic is hard wired to IFD#2 (TAS to #1 IFD), and ADSB Wx hard wired to #1 IFD.

Cons:
1.  My JPI 830 data is hard wired to #1 IFD so can't display on #2 data blocks any more - had to re-configure to #1 IFD data blocks.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to selectively Un-Synch just the Flight Plan on #2 IFD for "what-if's" and Direct To's ...

Tom Wolf
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 12:55pm
Tom:

Can you see any downside to "de-integrating" the two units?

I am guessing that in the cross feed mode one really doesn't functionally have two nav units?

DMG
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 4:32pm
David,
Did practice approach today at PAN, and came to the conclusion that re-synching 540's was preferable, but it was close reasoning.

The main loss of function in synched mode is:
1.  OBS on either unit changes both, so can't stay on FPL and use GPSS.
2.  GPS #2 no longer independent, so can't source Aspen RMI needle with other Wpt.

Gain with Synching Units:
1.  Cross feeds FLP's and other inputs on RS232 lines.

Until a new version allows for independent FPL or GPS#2 Wpt outside of FPL (like Nearest...), I am using "Nearest" function on #2 IFD to display with North-Up for nice situational awareness.

Even in Synch mode, each Nav #1 & #2 are still totally usable and independent.  Especially useful using Nav-2, keeping IFD #1 on GPS FPL/GPSS.  Use Nav-2 and you can even display it on Aspen-MFD HSI showing the radial, and/or use IFD #2 Nearest VOR to show same situational on map page.

Tom Wolf
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 10:32am
My evolving conclusion on Synch vs Un-Synching dual X40 units is:

Pro for Synching - cross fill of numerous tentacles...

Pro for Un-Synching:
.  Separation of OBS function on 540 #2 extremely useful for situational awareness, without disabling the #1 GPSS Flight Plan!

.  What If Flight Planning very useful in flight.

Tom Wolf

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic