Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VLOC in datablock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pat@werigi.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VLOC in datablock
    Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 8:57am
I would like to see the VLOC freqs in one of the map datablocks, pg 4-19 shows that this is possible but it the option is not shown when is setup mode. If possible, I would like to place them under the comm datablock.

thanks,

Pat
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 9:52am
To accomplish what you want to do, you need to start with one of the default datablock presets. To do this, go to AUX, Setup, Datablock Setup. Then press the LSK until it says Datablock Presets. Both the Factory Default and the Left Block Default will show the 2 Com then 2 Nav datablocks. Once you do that, you can select Custom and further customize the datablocks.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 10:13am
Gring is usually right on the mark, but I'm able to do that, even in the Custom mode, at least in the simulator.

But, if you have more than two COM standbys, remove the third and fourth. The VLOC block needs two slots, and appears to be dedicated to a two COM/two VLOC setup. That may be a stumbling block. Choosing the default or factory setup of course does that as well, but that will wipe out your other datablock customizations.

Then click on VLOC (red arrow) when the cursor is positioned on the second standby COM freq (or any other datablock in that position) ...

Done.

Personally, I've done away with the VLOC primary and standby slots, I much prefer to use that space for COM standbys.

With the IFD preloading any appropriate VLOC freq for me already, I seldom need to do that. I HAVE added a VLOC "tuned" datablock on the right side which positively identifies what is tuned without needing to click the COM/NAV left knob.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Aug 2015 at 11:37am
pat@werigi.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pat@werigi.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 2:05pm
I'm on dual IFD 440's, I did not see VLOC radio at all :(

Pat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pat@werigi.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 2:07pm
I like to see NAV frequencies to verify an ILS approach.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by pat@werigi.com pat@werigi.com wrote:

I'm on dual IFD 440's, I did not see VLOC radio at all :(

Pat

Ah, don't think that is available on a 440. No room.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pat@werigi.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 8:21pm
One would think an ILS freq would be more important then two de-clutter buttons. The manual pg 4-19 states that its possible.

Pat

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 10:42pm
I agree, it would be interesting if Avidyne could scrub all of the logs they have to see how often the declutter buttons are used, my guess is that it is very seldom.  It seems like a lot could be done with those buttons if they weren't tied up with declutter.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 12:10am
I have touched the declutter buttons exactly four times, and that was only on the first day of ownership.

But, it is not just the declutter buttons. If you check all the other screens in the FMS and AUX pages, those bottom three buttons are put to specific use. I suppose they just pasted in the declutter buttons on the MAP as there wasn't anything else to put there.

Perhaps you could request at least the primary NAV datablock be allowed somewhere else. The VLOC decode datablock does that pretty much (and I use that), but doesn't list the raw numeric frequency.

* Orest

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 9:55am
I like the buttons, I just don't think they are being used wisely as dedicated soft keys on the MAP page.  Specifically, I'd rather not switch to the FMS page to enable the missed (I know there is a change in 10.1 to auto enable, but I believe the manual enable is the same).  The continue/exit hold are also only on the FMS page.  I'd like to request that those soft key options be moved to the MAP page instead of the declutter buttons.  Since the map auto declutters on zoom, I'd think the declutter softkeys could be moved to the AUX page.  Avidyne should have an idea from the logs to see how often the buttons are used to get an better idea of how often they are used.  I also used them while learning the box, but have never needed them yet in reality.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 11:03am
+1

Vince
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 12:56pm

+2

LSK could be used for a quick access menu, e.g. FLTA, map view option, custom user, brightness, aurals etc., maybe user defined.

Klaus
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 10:08am
I do like the idea of adding NAV freq displays to right side datablock options list and will include that in our candidate future feature database.  Especially useful in the 440 box as mentioned above.

I will say however that the reconstructed LSK ideas suggested here are not likely going to come to pass.  That would be major reconstructive surgery and break all kinds of code similarity rules/objectives we try to maintain in our various product lines.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic