Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > TAS600 Systems and ADS-B
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OK, nearly end of summer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 5:28pm
No, the TAS605 was sold with an upgrade certificate to TAS605A which,at the time, was going to have ADS-B in, but that never happened.

That is what this thread is about.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Stiletto1 Stiletto1 wrote:

Interesting.  I've never heard of such a thing.

There was a free upgrade offered to the TAS605A, from the TAS605, for a time. I have that upgrade certificate, and look forward to exercising it at some point.

As part of their openness (like this forum, and freely allowing dissenting comments), Avidyne was far more forthcoming about development time frames in the past, and outlining the background process in detail, including when dates slipped. It made for interesting reading. Unfortunately a small vocal minority has hammered Avidyne on the latter, so they have now changed their policy to not announce anything until it is shipping, like most other companies. Too bad.

Granted that this project is taking a rather unusual length of time to complete, but it is not like the product isn't in the field (and in my panel), it is, it is just missing its 1090 ADS-B integration. 

All that said, I expect that the only new, official news on this will simply be "It is available and shipping". Don't think there is much more to say on this topic.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 09 Nov 2017 at 7:25pm
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 8:50pm
Ahh... 

Timothy kept talking about transponders, vouchers, promissory notes, deposits, etc., so I was confused.

So the real complaint is that some of you bought a TAS600 based on the promise of future ADSB integration that has yet to materialize.

I get it now, though I think Timothy should be a bit more careful in how he characterizes the situation.

C310C
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:17pm

...I get it now, though I think Timothy should be a bit more careful in how he characterizes the situation.

Agreed. I think in the thrust for some sort of personal vendetta, which he states that he is proud of, he may be forsaking fully honest reporting. That could very well be a disserivce to his own clients.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 10 Nov 2017 at 12:05am
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:48am
I think whatever point he was trying to make was made 20 posts ago. Time to move on.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 10:04am
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

I think whatever point he was trying to make was made 20 posts ago. Time to move on.

+1
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Timothy Nathan Timothy Nathan wrote:

You soon recognize an airspace that is pretty much unknown anywhere else in the world.

I encourage you to experience flight in the LA basin on a nice day.

David Bunin

Timothy Nathan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

You soon recognize an airspace that is pretty much unknown anywhere else in the world.

I encourage you to experience flight in the LA basin on a nice day.

Is there no flight following and is IFR/IMC permitted without a plan or clearance?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 7:13pm

Time to move on.

The time to move on is when Avidyne deliver on their promises, in my opinion.

How long does one accept silence before one just gives up and "moves on", in your opinion?
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 11:10am
IFR flights without IFR flight plans are allowed in uncontrolled airspace in the US as well, although it's pretty reckless IMHO to do that here or anywhere where GA air traffic is dense.

It's much more costly to fly a GA aircraft in Europe or the UK than in it is in the US, and the GA fleet and numbers of GA pilots in Europe are tiny compared to the US.  The idea that there is airspace anywhere in Europe that manages to create a widespread area with a higher density of general aviation traffic than the densest airspace in US seems right up there with a Big Foot sighting.
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 4:38pm
Just FYI, a comment clipped from a post on BeechTalk today:

"I would like my GTS800 to display ADS-B symbology as promised back in 2014, and I am still waiting for this."
C310C
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 5:55pm

"I would like my GTS800 to display ADS-B symbology as promised back in 2014, and I am still waiting for this."

That seems odd, as GTS800 has ADS-B in and ADS-B symbology and has for some time.  I have it in my "other" aircraft.  (Once bitten, twice shy.)

It works like a dream, with all the relevant information squitted by the target being visible, so I wonder what has happened in that case?
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 9:54pm

That seems odd, as GTS800 has ADS-B in and ADS-B symbology and has for some time.  I have it in my "other" aircraft.  (Once bitten, twice shy.)

It works like a dream, with all the relevant information squitted by the target being visible, so I wonder what has happened in that case?

I have no idea what the circumstances are.  They were discussing the value of upgrading from a G500 to the new Txi - this poster had a G500 and couldn't justify tearing everything up for the new Txi, but would like ADSB symbology for his GTS as promised... to finish out his avionics suite.

C310C
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:29am
Stiletto:

Just for the sake of completeness, AviSimpson has already put it out there that at least for the TAS-A series, at least the initial pass on display will have TCAS and not ADS-B symbology, but did say that the RS-232 output would make the other information available (Squawk code, direction vector/trend, etc).  It will then be up to the display vendor's code to request and display that data.  I also understood that the IFD displays would not be compliant in that respect:

Quote:

- Any display that works with TAS or TAS-A now should work with TAS-A after the ADS-B updates.

· The ARINC-429 interface currently being used (ARINC-735 TCAS format) will continue to work, but will not show additional ADS-B data (ADS-B targets will be displayed, but they will look the same).

· The current RS-232 interface will also remain unchanged. ADS-B targets will be displayed, but they will look the same.

· The RS-232 interface will be updated so that display manufacturers can update their software to request additional ADS-B data. In this case direction, flight ID and on-ground status for ADS-B targets will be provided on the interface.

EndQuote
David Gates
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 12:06pm
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but found it interesting that right in the middle of my entering this discussion I stumbled across a similar discussion about G having the same kinds of problems getting their GTS software updated for ADSB.  I don't know what Timothy is looking at on his.

Here's more of the discussion on BT re: GTS800 software v4.0 STC update:

-------------------------------------
On July 17, 2017
Q: Just bumping this thread. Has anyone heard any update about when the STC may be approved to allow installation of version 4.0 on the GTS 800? I understand that the update includes features that Garmin was advertising when I bought my GTS 800 unit three years ago. Others have been waiting even longer. It would be nice to close the wounds this issue caused so they can heal.
G-reply: Unfortunately found a problem that needs to be addressed in the software. will push this release out a bit, but hopeful to have this completed soon.

July 18, 2017
Q: What is the nature of the problem found? Roughly how much longer until it is released again?
G-Reply: Can't give exact details on it, but can tell you it won't pass certification testing with the problem. the team is working on it as quickly as possible but having to correct it and go back through the testing process

Oct 28 2017
Q: Now three months later. Anyone got an update?
G-Reply:  No reply as of Nov 12
----------------------------

Sound Familiar?

I think it is now quite clear that Avidyne is not the only avionics manufacturer to suffer these kinds of delays.

C310C
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 1:41pm
Yep, sounds similar.
David Gates
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 12:16am

Time to move on.

The time to move on is when Avidyne deliver on their promises, in my opinion.

How long does one accept silence before one just gives up and "moves on", in your opinion?

Long before now. 

This is doing you much more damage than it's doing Avidyne. Keeping resentment alive is like drinking poison and hoping the other person dies. Let it go and find something productive in which to channel that energy.

Edited by LANCE - 13 Nov 2017 at 12:20am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 2:48am
Don’t worry about me, there is no incoming damage!

Actually, knowing that I can hit back and don’t just have to suck up whatever a big multinational does to me, but that I can do something effective in return, makes me feel much better than I would as a worm being trodden on!

Do none of the rest of you feel powerless and resentful when Verizon, Apple or whoever screws you over and you can do nothing? Does it not lift your feeling of self-worth if you can step out from under the heel of the oppressor?

Come on guys! Nearly everyone here is a highly successful American citizen, right? Is not your great country built on a sense of individual worth and self-actualisation? Let the Sheeple rise! :-D   Historically, it has not taken a Brit to tell you that :-D

And Avidyne’s complete silence only makes matters worse. If I knew for certain that they had wound up the project, I could book in to get a Garmin transponder fitted and forget the whole situation, but as things stand I am like a rabbit in the headlights, not knowing which way to jump.

Regarding the Garmin situation, I don’t fully understand it, but it would seem that you get the TCAS symbol from ADS-B, which is therefore much more accurately placed than a XPNDR derived return, and appropriate traffic warnings. What you are missing is things like callsign and RoC/RoD. This is a couple of orders of magnitude down from the Avidyne situation, where you don’t get to see the ADS-B return at all.

In the Garmin case you know it’s there and can avoid it, but suffer the indignity of not knowing whether it’s JetBlue or AA you’ve missed, in the Avidyne case you just merrily pile on into it ;-)
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 6:39am

Don’t worry about me, there is no incoming damage

In the Garmin case you know it’s there and can avoid it, but suffer the indignity of not knowing whether it’s JetBlue or AA you’ve missed, in the Avidyne case you just merrily pile on into it ;-)

I usually look out the window. Been doing that for awhile now. Seems to work pretty well...
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 7:05am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

Don’t worry about me, there is no incoming damage

I usually look out the window. Been doing that for awhile now. Seems to work pretty well...

Oh my!  

I hope no one is spending that much time looking up the type and call sign of an ADSB target (who cares?), rather than looking out the window and taking evasive action. 

How did we ever get along with out all this technology.  With that little tidbit from Timothy, it seems to me ADSB could be responsible for just as many accidents as it may save.

C310C
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:47am
In Europe there are clouds and we fly in them. In clouds you can’t see out. I had actually assumed that most of this conversation was about IFR/IMC, though in fact TAS and ADS-B are much better at acquiring other aircraft than eyes, which are specifically designed to filter out the most threatening targets.

But I do agree that the extended information is largely useless, which is why the Garmin situation is a world away from the Avidyne one.
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 9:42am
Well.... I guess I have to disagree... the symbology (60 second "tail", target direction in particular) I used quite a bit to sequence between two C-130s during hurricane harvey relief flights into Beaumont...

I do care less about N-numbers (though it IS a nice confirmation to match targets to those ATC calls out...)... but that 60 second "tail" is particularly important... esp for fast aircraft in your area. 

Doug
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 10:43am
Yes, I agree that the tail is good, but it’s still a second order problem compared to the return not being there at all!
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 3:09pm
Well, I was talking about using ADSB to avoid a collision, in which case taking time to note the type and registration number after receiving an alert is obviously counterproductive.

Over on this side of the pond, if you are flying in the clouds you are on an IFR flight plan and receiving traffic separation services from ATC, in which case ADSB-in is not only redundant but also distracting and unnecessary.

C310C
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:21pm
Agree... to me ADS-B (in) is pretty darn addicting... having never had any sort of traffic display in the past, its so nice to have that now... I do believe that looking outside remains the most important thing... but its nice to see stuff in the cockpit too... 

Hope Avidyne is able to provide the 8.2 update for our MFDs someday... that would definitely be nice. 

Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 9:00pm
In-cockpit traffic display is a great tool to help situational awareness regarding traffic in the vicinity. How many times ATC calls traffic alerts or you see the traffic on the screen but can't get a visual especially if you fly a low wing and the traffic is below you! 
If you can't see the traffic visually, having a display enhances your chances of avoiding a midair collision.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

In-cockpit traffic display is a great tool to help situational awareness regarding traffic in the vicinity. 

Yes, I find the TAS605 unit a real asset in my panel.

In Canada there is no ADS-B mandate, 978 or 1090. ADS-B is useful in the US, where I fly perhaps half the time, but not here. The ModeC/S receiving abilities of the TAS units really fills in the gaps. The planned ADS-B update by Avidyne, will increase the range and accuracy a bit, and the on-screen depiction, but it is hardly a critical update. But, best part to that is that it won't cost me anything.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Nov 2017 at 10:12pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:45am
We are certainly talking about different uses of the same tool.  Collision avoidance and Traffic Avoidance are not the same thing.  One is TRAFFIC TRAFFIC followed by a Rate 2 turn, the other is "Oh look, if he continues doing that, and I continue doing this, we might get close".  

When neither Collision Avoidance nor Traffic Avoidance is an issue, then Situational Awareness comes in.  "There are a lot of people ahead of me heading in towards my destination, maybe I'll slow down a bit."

When that is not an issue either, and you are sitting, fat, dumb, happy and a little bored on an IFR route, it is also fun to watch the airliners and see more information about them, but, as far as I am concerned that is just frippery.
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:48am
Thanks for clearing that up, Timothy.

My biggest complaint with ADSB, as implemented here in the states, remains that it is an incomplete picture of the potential traffic ahead because not all aircraft are required to have even a basic transponder below 10k' unless operating inside Class B/C airspace, etc.  That's a lot of airspace where the rule does not apply and our FAA does not broadcast non-mode C equipped primary radar targets back through the TIS-B system - and there is the potential for enough latency in the system to make the position of broadcast targets questionable. 

So, no matter what, it is an incomplete and potentially inaccurate picture for situational awareness and therefore more of a distraction from what may be just outside the cockpit. 

Though I will equip, I do not understand why so many seem to place such emphasis on it over using the free ATC services.  As I said before, you are receiving traffic separation services when IFR already, in which case ADSB traffic is probably more of a distraction from the task at hand than it's worth (I certainly DO NOT want Betty to start bitching while shooting an approach at an airport with parallel runways, or whatever).   VMC is when all the non-equipped aircraft are flying that ADSB can't see in the first place, so, again, I just don't get it - Flight Following is still your best bet, and it's free.   

Though I don't like to force things on anybody, in this case I wish it was mandated that anything operating at a public use airport or flying above 3000agl (pick your own number) had to have at least an ADSB-out transponder, even if it had to be powered by a rechargeable 10 hour battery or something for aircraft without an electrical system.  Of course, you could talk about mandating radio calls at non-towered public airports too if you really want to cause a dust up, but I have little tolerance for those that have radio phobia in the first place - do that silent crap at your private airstrip if you want, but it is really reckless in my opinion to do that at non-towered public airports.

I understand everybody is operating in different levels of congested airspace and am only speaking - generally - But I don't think Harrison Ford had a transponder in his PT-22 operating in the LA basin (maybe he did, I don't know).  I'll jump off my soapbox now.

I sincerely do hope you guys get to redeem your coupons soon (I'm a gadget nut too). 

Edited by Stiletto1 - 14 Nov 2017 at 7:08am
C310C
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 11:36am

Thanks for clearing that up, Timothy.

My biggest complaint with ADSB, as implemented here in the states, remains that it is an incomplete picture of the potential traffic ahead because not all aircraft are required to have even a basic transponder below 10k' unless operating inside Class B/C airspace, etc.  That's a lot of airspace where the rule does not apply and our FAA does not broadcast non-mode C equipped primary radar targets back through the TIS-B system - and there is the potential for enough latency in the system to make the position of broadcast targets questionable. 

So, no matter what, it is an incomplete and potentially inaccurate picture for situational awareness and therefore more of a distraction from what may be just outside the cockpit. 

Though I will equip, I do not understand why so many seem to place such emphasis on it over using the free ATC services.  As I said before, you are receiving traffic separation services when IFR already, in which case ADSB traffic is probably more of a distraction from the task at hand than it's worth (I certainly DO NOT want Betty to start bitching while shooting an approach at an airport with parallel runways, or whatever).   VMC is when all the non-equipped aircraft are flying that ADSB can't see in the first place, so, again, I just don't get it - Flight Following is still your best bet, and it's free.   

Though I don't like to force things on anybody, in this case I wish it was mandated that anything operating at a public use airport or flying above 3000agl (pick your own number) had to have at least an ADSB-out transponder, even if it had to be powered by a rechargeable 10 hour battery or something for aircraft without an electrical system.  Of course, you could talk about mandating radio calls at non-towered public airports too if you really want to cause a dust up, but I have little tolerance for those that have radio phobia in the first place - do that silent crap at your private airstrip if you want, but it is really reckless in my opinion to do that at non-towered public airports.

I understand everybody is operating in different levels of congested airspace and am only speaking - generally - But I don't think Harrison Ford had a transponder in his PT-22 operating in the LA basin (maybe he did, I don't know).  I'll jump off my soapbox now.

I sincerely do hope you guys get to redeem your coupons soon (I'm a gadget nut too). 

And that doesn't even give you a complete picture. I fly a floatplane with no transponder at all through the NYC class B airspace. I would be only a primary target with altitude unverified.

Edited by Gring - 14 Nov 2017 at 11:37am
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 11:53am
Nothing (affordable for GA) is going to be perfect except maybe a 100%, real-time, surface radar datalink.

That said, the recent record is replete with increased pilot awareness generated by these, albeit imperfect, systems.

I think all of us in GA should simply be aware that ADS-B wasn't created for us; rather it was created to allow commercial traffic to access (traffic-dense) terminals with greater throughput.

Edited by ddgates - 14 Nov 2017 at 11:53am
David Gates
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:38pm
OK, but now it's time to refer you back to what I said before.

The UK is looking to get ADS-B out into everything, from RadioShack Drones to A380s.

Our CAA is proactively developing a box the size of a cigarette pack, with long rechargeable battery life that can sit in a parascender's top pocket, costing $300, which will squit your ADS-B position and push targets onto your iPad moving map.  I saw the first delivery of prototypes today.

There is a chip the size of a SIM card which will do the ADS-B out for a toy drone.

They are also negotiating ADS-B in weather and traffic broadcasts as a come-on to encourage people to equip.  

Furthermore, to repeat myself again, we do not have TMA services for most flights outside controlled airspace.  We have a sort of service around London from Farnborough, but it gets completely overwhelmed on a sunny weekend.  Some military aerodromes and a few civil airports provide what is called a Lower Airspace Radar service, but, as we know from your President, Kim Jong Un is too short and fat to start a war on a weekend, so our Air Force goes home and plays golf, meaning no radar service at weekends when most GA is out and about.

So the situation here is not as you characterise it there.  We need to be thinking about ADS-B in capability.  I did that.  I paid my money.  I chose Avidyne over Garmin based on their promises.  I didn't know then that Avidyne promises are worthless.  I do now.
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:36pm
How is the UK going to do ADS-B in?  Are they going to implement UAT?
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 7:34am

OK, but now it's time to refer you back to what I said before.

The UK is looking to get ADS-B out into everything, from RadioShack Drones to A380s.

That being the case, what is it that TAS will see that ADSB alone won't?

Our CAA is proactively developing a box the size of a cigarette pack, with long rechargeable battery life that can sit in a parascender's top pocket, costing $300, which will squit your ADS-B position and push targets onto your iPad moving map.  I saw the first delivery of prototypes today.  There is a chip the size of a SIM card which will do the ADS-B out for a toy drone.

I really do wish our FAA would require ADSB-out for ANY aircraft operating at a public use airport or above 3000agl, and require radio call outs at non-towered public use airports. I note there are more low cost ADSB-out only solutions hitting the market. 

Combine the features of a hand held radio with an ADSB-out transponder with internal WAAS and an optional moving map navigator with ADSB-in as a portable battery powered configuration - I think you would have an interesting product that could be strapped in to an aircraft that had no electrical system.  Even Ultralights and Sailplanes could be so equipped.  Might even be an interesting flight bag backup for any aircraft.   

Edited by Stiletto1 - 15 Nov 2017 at 7:39am
C310C
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:47am
I am glad they have not mandated more restrictive rules for ADSB.  I don't need (or want) all the electronics for the floatplane flying I do.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:52pm
Quote How is the UK going to do ADS-B in?  Are they going to implement UAT?

That seems to be the way thinking is going.

Quote That being the case, what is it that TAS will see that ADSB alone won't?

In the longer term, I would hope that ADS-B will completely replace TAS, but in the medium term, there will be a long cutover period (probably extending beyond the end of my aviation career) where both are needed.

It is interesting to note that a long time ago in this thread someone asked what ADS-B brings to the party if you have TAS, and now I am being asked what TAS brings to the party if you have ADS-B.  Ho hum ;-)

Quote require ADSB-out for ANY aircraft operating at a public use airport or above 3000agl

Why would you put the lower height restriction?  Most little aeroplanes fly low (at least, they do here in Europe) and big aircraft have to pass through low on their way to high.  I agree with the UK CAA plan to have everyone using (and wanting to use) ADS-B out.

Quote I don't need (or want) all the electronics for the floatplane flying I do.

You don't need it until you need it.  It might be the last thing you need when a pair of F16s are flying low level along "your" lake.

Edited by Timothy Nathan - 15 Nov 2017 at 4:53pm
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

I am glad they have not mandated more restrictive rules for ADSB.  I don't need (or want) all the electronics for the floatplane flying I do.

It is not about you having the benefits of ADSB-in if you don't want it.  It's about you having ADSB-out so that everyone else can see you.
C310C
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 10:25pm

Quote require ADSB-out for ANY aircraft operating at a public use airport or above 3000agl

Why would you put the lower height restriction?  Most little aeroplanes fly low (at least, they do here in Europe) and big aircraft have to pass through low on their way to high.  I agree with the UK CAA plan to have everyone using (and wanting to use) ADS-B out.

So that they can be seen.  Right now no one needs to equip if they stay outside Class B/C and under 10,000'msl, rendering ADSB traffic basically useless where you need it most - outside radar coverage, while in the traffic pattern at non-towered airports. 

C310C
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 5:40pm
I am probably being very dim, but you seem to be arguing against yourself.

By saying
Quote outside radar coverage, while in the traffic pattern at non-towered airports
are you not agreeing that having ADS-B to the ground, in all classes of airspace would be a very good idea.

Did this get reported over there?

Sorry, link didn't work, try this:

Edited by Timothy Nathan - 21 Nov 2017 at 5:43pm
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 6:38pm

I am probably being very dim, but you seem to be arguing against yourself.

By saying
Quote outside radar coverage, while in the traffic pattern at non-towered airports
are you not agreeing that having ADS-B to the ground, in all classes of airspace would be a very good idea.

I argue the point all the time -

I said earlier "pick your own altitude".  I suggested including the requirement of ADSB-out if operating from non-towered PUBLIC USE airports, or above 3000'agl - which would pretty much address the invisible plane issue in the US for those flying for transportation purposes while allowing the puddle jumpers to continue to operate from private strips below 3000agl.  Make ADSB-out required all the way to the ground if you want, but in the US it is politically difficult to force those flying aircraft without electrical systems to comply.

The rules being what they are now in the US, ADSB traffic does not give you the whole picture unless above 10000msl or in Class B or C airspace where ADSB-out is required but radar coverage is complete anyway - so who needs ADSB traffic up there where ATC has you covered??  Below 10000, ADSB-out is not required - the ADSB-in traffic picture is therefore incomplete and not much more than a distracting cockpit gimmick - but, perhaps it will warn you of a few more targets that you might not have otherwise seen.

Edited by Stiletto1 - 22 Nov 2017 at 5:51am
C310C
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 3:38am
I think I prefer the UK CAA approach of everything from toy drones upwards squits.
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:41pm
I own 2x TAS620 and 1x TAS610 on my planes. I inquired about the -A upgrade, and the price is steep. But then, what does it provide? Nothing the organ in between my ears cannot do. I have the TAS display on the MFD 600, and ADS-B traffic both on my Garmin 696 and on the IFD540 So, My traffic scan is.... Do all screens show the same, where is it, and then outside looking for it. Spending even a few hundred dollars to electronically "merge" the ADS-B and the TAS is a waste of money, imho. The TAS will work today and tomorrow, as it looks for transponders, which will be even more prevalent with the ADS-B mandate. I spent money on a Skytrax 100 for each plane when Sirius announced end of support, that is it. No need for -A. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by TurboPA30 TurboPA30 wrote:

The TAS will work today and tomorrow, as it looks for transponders, which will be even more prevalent with the ADS-B mandate.

Yeah, well, I have explained so many times why that situation does not apply in the UK that I cannot think of another way to respond.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 2:55pm

I inquired about the -A upgrade, and the price is steep. 

My understanding is that there isn't any -A upgrade.... that's what started this thread. That kind of makes the price irrelevant, except for those that paid for it up front x years ago.

Edited by chflyer - 25 Nov 2017 at 2:57pm
Vince
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:56am
No, there is an -A upgrade.

The box is finished and certified per Avi, so in a sense the project is partially completed.

Some are already installed, but operating as the TAS-6XX (non -A) level.

They haven't finished the software which runs the -A feature yet.

The upgrade was priced at 2K for legacy owners of TAS-6XX units, and a voucher redeemable for the -A box and software was issued to each new purchaser of a TAS-6XXA unit at time of install.

The whole issue comes down to - "When will the TAS-A software be completed and certified?
David Gates
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 12:00pm
I stand by my statement. At the moment it's just vaporware. Until it's available to customers for installation and use, including software, it doesn't really exist in any way as a product that is of benefit to pilots.

The customer deliverable is a usable function, not a piece of hardware that can't be used because the package (i.e. product) hasn't been completed. That hardware has apparently been part of boxes for several years, so its presence doesn't really mean anything to customers. It might never be used and the finished product might never be released.

Edited by chflyer - 26 Nov 2017 at 12:26pm
Vince
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

I stand by my statement. At the moment it's just vaporware. Until it's available to customers for installation and use, including software, it doesn't really exist in any way as a product that is of benefit to pilots.

The customer deliverable is a usable function, not a piece of hardware that can't be used because the package (i.e. product) hasn't been completed. That hardware has apparently been part of boxes for several years, so its presence doesn't really mean anything to customers. It might never be used and the finished product might never be released.

You are right, Vince on that score.  It is something less than an affirmation that this has been offered as a sales feature, and then not delivered in a reasonable time frame.

David Gates
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 1:01pm

The TAS will work today and tomorrow, as it looks for transponders, which will be even more prevalent with the ADS-B mandate.

Yeah, well, I have explained so many times why that situation does not apply in the UK that I cannot think of another way to respond.

I was flying recently, and was given a point-out of a business jet (I am confident that this target was transponder equipped) and I was receiving both ADS-R and TIS-B data at the time, yet he did not appear on the display.  I had him visually, and we maintained visual separation, but it just goes to show you that there is no fancy gadget that is foolproof.

glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 5:55pm
Was in Class C a few months ago and almost collided with a 172, never showed up on ADR-R or TIS-B and the controller never mentioned the target. Great advances which I appreciate and have paid for but it still is not a perfect system from my experience. Not complaining, just hoping for additional improvement by the end of the in 2020 mandate. 
GDC25
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 3:41am
Pardon my ignorance, but what are ADS-R and ADR-R?
Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic