Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dimmer reversion to auto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dimmer reversion to auto
    Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 12:48pm
Not sure if this has been posted already, apologies if it has:
Ideally, the dimmer function would revert to auto after every power up to avoid the "crap, I forgot I left the IFD dimmer in manual dim after last night's flight and now it is day and I cannot see anything on the screen during power up" situation. I returned late last night and this morning my plane partner called to say he couldn't see the screen :)
oops

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 1:02pm
Tough debate - we had that argument for months internally.      We couldn't come up with a design that didn't piss off at least 1/3 of the users.

I'm personally a "User Control" kind of guy, a bunch are Photocell kinds of pilots and the rest are Dimming Bus Rheostat control kinds of pilot.  Within the Dimming Bus user group, we had all options passionately argued for. 

I may enhance the PG with a new Tip and Technique to make this current PG snippet stand out more and focus more on your specific scenario:

Loss of Display

Failure Indication:

The first indication that an IFD has experienced a loss of the display (LCD) is the appearance of a black display but the bezel backlighting is still present. Assuming the cockpit dimming control/rheostat hasn’t been activated to the dimmest setting and the display has actually failed, the easiest indication that just the display has failed is a continued backlighting of the BRT/DIM rocker key on the bezel and possibly some other bezel keys.

Functionality Lost:

All the basic functionality is intact (e.g. VHF com and nav radios, FMS navigation and deviation output, etc.) but is not visible.

Recommended Pilot Actions:

·         Check the cockpit dimming control/rheostat to ensure it is not in the “night” position;

·         Use other cockpit displays (e.g. CDI, HSI, etc) for crosschecking deviation and position;

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ptlevine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 1:53pm
I had the box on manual, not dimmer switch since I haven't gotten that working right. I still have the issue with the manual control since there is still the big step function down in brightness at about 60% dimmed... So for me, it was that the box was on manual (not dimmer switch) when powered up and retained its very dim setting from the last flight... 

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 1:57pm
Have you seen this thread?  It includes a common operational issue folks are having, a suggested technique, and a description of an upcoming software change:

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ptlevine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 2:26pm
yes. just got the software updated and didn't have time to fix yet. I think I need to actually do it in the dark to make sure too... 
LarryPetro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 8:44am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Failure Indication:

The first indication that an IFD has experienced a loss of the display (LCD) is the appearance of a black display but the bezel backlighting is still present. Assuming the cockpit dimming control/rheostat hasn’t been activated to the dimmest setting and the display has actually failed, the easiest indication that just the display has failed is a continued backlighting of the BRT/DIM rocker key on the bezel and possibly some other bezel keys.

What is the BRT/DIM rocker key?
Larry Petro - Columbia 350 @ KFME
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 9:01am
Whoops.  That's an undiscovered holdover from the early prototype days when we had a bright/dim rocker key on the bezel.  I'll clean that up on the next Pilot Guide release.

Thanks for the heads up.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:15pm
And what a good idea it was (the bright/dimmer rocker switch.....)
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 6:09pm
+1
GDC25
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 8:41am
While the rocker switch would have been very nice, an alternative which could still be implemented would be an easily accessible control that does not require going to the setup page to tweak the brightness up or down. It would not change the settings, but would allow fine tuning to ambient conditions. Perhaps the top LSK could be used to put one of the lower right knobs in brightness adjust mode. The offset set by the control would be applied to the brightness called for by the IFD settings until the unit was powered down, at which time the offset would be revert to zero.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:16am
Originally posted by PA20Pacer PA20Pacer wrote:

While the rocker switch would have been very nice, an alternative which could still be implemented ...

Great suggestion, it would be nice to have this function on the front panel.

An alternative would be a user locatable datablock, that could allow you to + or - the lighting offset. That way, if you want it, you can have. That would also make it work easily on the 440, which of course has fewer available LSKs.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 17 Nov 2015 at 9:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic