Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - WTF am I doing wrong? Different VOR distances...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WTF am I doing wrong? Different VOR distances...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTF am I doing wrong? Different VOR distances...
    Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 3:19pm
Took this snapshot today in flight after being completely confused about what the IFD540 was trying to tell me.

I wanted to answer the question "how far from the Manteca VOR (ECA) are we?" Asking the GPS (using "Direct To" provided one answer, while tuning it in on the NAV side provided a second answer. It turns out that the NAV side was right.

What the heck did I do wrong to end up in a state with it showing me conflicting information for the thing? I assume I'm not understanding what the purple values in the upper right mean (since they were "wrong") while I do understand the white text in the left hand column.

Can someone enlighten me?

In case this embed doesn't work, here's a link to the image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6763272/2015-07-23%2010.40.32.jpg

20.6nm or 13.5nm from ECA?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 3:47pm
Yup, operating per design.   You commanded a Direct-To at the beginning of that depicted magenta line that has the button hook to ECA but then you immediately did something different from what you told the FMS you were going to do.  That magenta datablock shows along track distance remaining.  So it shows the distance that the painted magenta line represents.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
mkellock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkellock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 3:48pm
Could it be that when you entered Direct ECA the 540 assumed you actually wanted to go direct to ECA so the distance you are seeing is from the point of submission?

The other is actually correct because that is where you actually are located relative to the VOR.

It makes sense to me as you are around 7.5 nm from where you entered direct to ECA, so the math seems relatively close.
Piper Archer II
PA28-181
Tampa, FL
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Yup, operating per design.   You commanded a Direct-To at the beginning of that depicted magenta line that has the button hook to ECA but then you immediately did something different from what you told the FMS you were going to do.  That magenta datablock shows along track distance remaining.  So it shows the distance that the painted magenta line represents.

Huh, ok.  Interesting (and somewhat surprising).

Then what *should* I have done w/out having to tune the VOR to get my distance from it and have that distance update as I fly along?

Since I did it the wrong way, I'm asking for a right way. :-)

Thanks,

Jeremy

Edited by jzawodn - 23 Jul 2015 at 3:53pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 5:10pm
Set your "data blocks" on right side for:
   1.  "To Wpt" to ECA VOR
   2.  "Next Wpt"

So that way, the "To Wpt" to ECA VOR (assuming that is your current active Wpt) is a direct distance and I would expect this should be identical to the VOR radial distance.

BTW, on your photo, I don't see a Magenta FP line, so I guess you are flying something "off" FP...

Tom W.

Edited by n7ifr - 23 Jul 2015 at 5:13pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

BTW, on your photo, I don't see a Magenta FP line, so I guess you are flying something "off" FP...
The magenta line is there, on the left side of the display.  He just didn't follow the direct-to path and took the photo a few minutes after pressing the buttons.
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

The magenta line is there, on the left side of the display.  He just didn't follow the direct-to path and took the photo a few minutes after pressing the buttons.

Correct.

I snapped the pic after a few minutes of us flying along and seeing the 13.5 value count down from something in the 14.x range to 13.5 and then stabilize.

My instructor commented that I better take good notes so that I can ask the question right, and so I decided to shot a few pictures of the screen. (I also grabbed the full data logs today.)

I think I still have some Garmin to unlearn.

My main confusion is why that value EVER changed. Was it measure "leg distance" or "leg distance remaining"? I'm assuming the later and it changed a bit as we flew through part of that turn. Or maybe not.

I'm quite happy to have the IFD iPad simulator.

Thanks,

Jeremy
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 6:08pm
Now I see the Magenta line off to the left.  Looks like not flying the FP, so all bets are off for the data-block showing ECA via the FP.

So far, I am doing most of my 540 flying in FMS page, giving more FP changing flexibility, and putting the "To Wpt" block on Left side so it is always there no matter if in FMS or MAP page (Traffic Thumbnail on Right side).  

Using the MAP page more for cruise, once the FP is established and want pretty picture and lots of data blocks.

Tom
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 8:19am

So far, I am doing most of my 540 flying in FMS page, giving more FP changing flexibility, and putting the "To Wpt" block on Left side so it is always there no matter if in FMS or MAP page (Traffic Thumbnail on Right side).  

Using the MAP page more for cruise, once the FP is established and want pretty picture and lots of data blocks.
Always interesting to hear how others use their IFD.  I use FMS page to set up flight plan, and then immediately change to MAP display to have max flight data available (speeds, distances, fuel status, etc.) via data blocks.  Looking forward to v10.1 with scrollable datablock area so I can have access to even more data on that page.

Edited by MysticCobra - 24 Jul 2015 at 8:20am
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 9:17am
The flexibility of v10.1 is pretty cool.  
Move the Traffic Thumbnail to the right side and free up valuable left side for other parameters... the left side is visible on FMS screen as well as MAP!

Tom
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 2:34pm

Quote Looking forward to v10.1 with scrollable datablock area so I can have access to even more data on that page.

I've been playing with that feature myself.  The scroll doesn't go in forever, so you can't just keep adding and adding data blocks.  The scroll length is just under twice as tall as the IFD-540 screen, so whatever you have in the middle of your list is always visible no matter how you scroll.

Still, a VERY nice feature!

David

bneub111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bneub111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 7:37pm
You could use the NRST button. Keep clicking it until the nearest VOR's page shows up. That will give you distance and heading.
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 12:33am
Originally posted by bneub111 bneub111 wrote:

You could use the NRST button. Keep clicking it until the nearest VOR's page shows up. That will give you distance and heading.

Given the situation, that's probably quite a good idea, actually. ;-)

Jeremy
bneub111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bneub111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 10:21am
I started using that to give a position report when requesting flight following.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 10:53am
Originally posted by bneub111 bneub111 wrote:

I started using that to give a position report when requesting flight following.

Great convenience for position reporting.  Easy format using "radial" from instead of "bearing" To (like on Nearest).

Tom W.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 10:55am
We do have an enhancement entry in our future feature candidate database which adds "Nearest VOR" to the datablock options.   It would be name of VOR station, radial from station and distance from station as measured by GPS.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 12:12pm

We do have an enhancement entry in our future feature candidate database which adds "Nearest VOR" to the datablock options.   It would be name of VOR station, radial from station and distance from station as measured by GPS.

Excellent.

Thanks!
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 12:25pm

Have you also thought about providing a distance (to next waypoint) in the Top Block options?  There is a Desired Track option, but no distance option for the top block.  This would provide a quick look at path and distance for each waypoint or destination as it came up, without having to bring up and look through the side blocks. 

Thanks

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 2:27pm
jzawodn,

You are not the first, nor will you be the last to be confused by what you are seeing.  Please see this thread that I started last year.  Read through the whole thing to get a full understanding of what you are seeing:

Regards,

Paul B.

jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

jzawodn,

You are not the first, nor will you be the last to be confused by what you are seeing.  Please see this thread that I started last year.  Read through the whole thing to get a full understanding of what you are seeing:

Regards,

Paul B.

Ah ha, thank you.

That didn't turn up in my earlier searches so I'm glad to have it now.

Jeremy
TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 6:04pm
Another way to find your answer is to:
1)  tap NRST until the VOR page is depicted
2) read your distance and bearing to the ECA VOR. 

Just a thought.....
Tom G
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 6:16pm

Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

my home airport (TS07)

Tell Speedbird I said hello!!

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 8:13am
Will do!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic