Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chart / Nav Updates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suskej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chart / Nav Updates
    Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 1:52pm
I have had my 540 for the last two months and every time I update the charts or Nav data it becomes a ordeal. After updating the charts it seems that when the unit  "verify's" the update it destroys the file structure on the USB stick.  It writes all kinds or crap files and directories on the USB.  The only way to recover from this is to reformat the USB stick.  This time I had made a copy of the USB tick with the updates on it prior to updating the unit and as predicted the 540 corrupted the files after it updated the chart data. I had to reformat and copy the other two updates back onto the stick to complete the updates for this data cycle.  This has happened every time Update the data from Jepp.  Whats up ? are there fixes for this in the works ? Is anyone else reporting this problem and if so whats the plans to get it resolved.  Would be nice also if we had been notified if this is a known issue via email or service letter. 
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 2:47pm
Hello-

There is a conversation about this phenomenon on the forum; you are not the first to observe it. I have not had a problem since I began reformatting the USB stick before every download.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 2:49pm
I have never had a problem.  I used my own USB stick for the first few months, and then switched to the Avidyne stick when my dealer finally "found" it.  No problems with either one.  

I am only updating the NAVDATA, no charts.
mkellock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkellock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 8:21pm
I've not experienced an issue yet either granted it has only been three cycles. But, I am only updating NavData and Obstacles, no charts. I am always extra careful to use the safe ejection tool in windows hoping I will continue to not have an issue.
Piper Archer II
PA28-181
Tampa, FL
Suskej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suskej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 9:27pm
I don't believe it has anything to do with the safe ejection of the USB stick. 
The stick is fine when inserting into the 540 then during the upload process the 540 reads the files and does a verify that when the stick gets corrupted. Then the 540 starts it reboot cycle and unless the stick is removed the unit stays in the maintenace mode till the USB stick is removed.  
ptlevine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 1:29pm
I have had my 540 through a number of updates now, and no issues to report. I too don't load charts on mine, so perhaps that is where the issue is?

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 5:05pm
The problem does not occur until some time after the USB stick is inserted into the 540.  It's not an issue with how the files are getting written to the USB stick during the JSUM process.

I thought Avidyne had previously said this issue was fixed in 10.1, but I don't see it explicitly called out in the version history notes they've posted.  I'm hoping it's included in the catch-all "Many more 'under the hood' changes and enhancements as well" at the end of the list....
Suskej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suskej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 7:30pm
I need to get this "BUG" resolved it is becoming a hassle, every time a update from Jepp comes along it is a ordeal.  I don't understand how this feature was not tested during development. I now have to get Jepp it issue me a additional download for my charts as the unit thinks I have already uploaded them to the 540.  It is now telling me that I am not authorized to update at this time.  
If someone from Avidyne would chime in I would love to speak with them about this problem. 
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 11:48pm

Don't confuse me with someone who knows what he is doing, but since we started to reformate the drive before downloading the chart data, all has worked well..

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 7:46am
Also, make sure to pull the USB fob as soon as the unit starts to reboot.  (Not sure if that's really necessary, but to echo BobsV35, since I've started doing that I haven't seen the corruption issue again.)
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 8:06pm
Ditto!
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Suskej Suskej wrote:

I need to get this "BUG" resolved it is becoming a hassle, every time a update from Jepp comes along it is a ordeal.  I don't understand how this feature was not tested during development. I now have to get Jepp it issue me a additional download for my charts as the unit thinks I have already uploaded them to the 540.  It is now telling me that I am not authorized to update at this time.  
If someone from Avidyne would chime in I would love to speak with them about this problem. 

I've talked to Tech Support about the issue and they have seen this sort of phenomenon in a handful of instances.

Have you used the same computer when doing the update each time? Are you able to try the update using another computer?
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Suskej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suskej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 10:24am
Yes I have been using the same computer during the updates using the same Jepp Sum Manager.
It is a Microsoft Surface operation Windows 8 OS.  
I will have to try and get the Jepp JSM software up and running on my MAC's as this is the other machines that I operate. 
Any thoughts other then the type computer ? 
I need to resolve this issue as it is trashing the updates regularly.
Thanks
Jack
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 10:35am
Jack, are you on 10.1 yet?  

Simpson, was anything found that might cause un-commanded writes to the USB flash storage (like an aborted write of the log files) in 10.0.2 or 10.0.3 that was fixed in 10.1?  It should be in the 10.1 revision history somewhere.

I seriously doubt this is a computer or USB flash drive problem.  Its the IFD box occasionally writing garbage.  Based on analysis of my flash drive after a few of my updates, a successful update writes nothing new to the drive before you remove it unless you request a log dump.

If the file structure was not changed with a partial write, you should be able to remove the USB drive with no harm done.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 11:05am
It's definitely related to charts and it happens during the chart update process not the reboot. I've had it happen twice (once on each IFD540 at different times). Once while idling at the end of the runway, the other while powered an APU in my hanger. What sucks is it will corrupt the USB stick prior to the NAV/Obstacle data being installed.  I'm still on 10.0.3.0 so I hope its fixed in 10.1.0.0

When it happened the first time I dug into it with some detail and I actually have a full disk image of a corrupted stick.

First the partition table on the USB stick gets ruined so you'll have to reformat it to use it again. Second, the IFD540 does write to the USB stick when it does chart update. It changes 4bytes at at memory offset 0x78 from the start of the file.  Why the 540 writes to the chart file I don't know.  Those 4 bytes appear to be tied to USB stick Serial Number and what prevents you from copying the charts from one USB stick to another.

My other thought if it continues in 10.1.0.0 was to switch to using a full size SDCard in a USB adapter to do the updates as you can physically write protect the SDCard and prevent the IFD540 from changing anything on it.  I'm not sure how happy the IFD540 would be if it couldn't change those 4 bytes in the charts file, so this may not work either.  The final solution would be to keep chart data and nav/obstacle data on two different sticks.
Suskej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suskej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 11:57am
THANKS !! 
Thats sounds like a good idea and is exactly what is happening to my updates.. 
I sure hope it is fixed in the 10.1. build.  
Also that is a good idea about using two sticks.  
Suskej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suskej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 11:58am
I have down loaded and had Jepp resend my updates again using the MAC version of the JSM.  I will try and update the 540 this evening when I get back from work. 
Suskej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suskej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 8:20pm
Yes that worked !
No to get the bug fixed for good...

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 4:40pm
Is anyone still having a database upload fail experience when using an IFD loaded with Release 10.1.0.0?

From our perspective, all reports of this experience have dried up with the release of 10.1.0.0.   Does anyone have any information to the contrary?   Very interested to hear.

Edited by AviJake - 22 Jul 2015 at 4:43pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 8:00am
Still no reports that I'm aware for this issue with units loaded with 10.1.0.0.

We think we resolved this with 10.1.0.0 but still very interested to hear if any 10.1 box is having database update issues still. 
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 8:07am
I have had the same issue multiple times.
I went to the Jeppesen tent and had them upload the latest data to my USB fob. I was able to upload it, one of the units was already updated. Now, the two units have the same data. STILL, 'CROSS SYNC FAULT" continues.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 8:12am
Forgive me but I'm not sure I'm familiar with your CrossSync Fault Error issue.   Are you talking with Avidyne Tech Support about that?

The principal reason you would see that error in a dual IFD setup is if one IFD is set to CrossSync on channel 3 of the RS-232 setup page and the other one is not.   Have you checked that?

Other reasons are if the nav database versions don't match or if the IFD software versions don't match.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 8:26am
I just had the units updated to 10.1 before I left for EAA on wednesday. On the way over, I assumed the error was because the databases were off. On the return trip yesterday I had the same database cycles on both, and the fault persisted.
Thnaks for the prompt reply. I will look at the settings for CrossSync on the units.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 8:29am
You bet and if by some tiny chance you pulled the logs from that last flight shutdown for both IFDs, I can look at the Configuration log and know within 30 seconds if CrossSync is turned on in both units.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 8:34am
I did not, but I will.
Can I change the settings for cross sync myself, or I need my installer? If yes, where can I find the instructions?
Thanks again
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 8:44am
Well let me put it this way.....  it is perfectly okay for you to go into Maintenance Mode on each IFD and see what the values are set to or to pull data logs.

To get to the appropriate page in Maintenance Mode, perform the following steps:

1.  With the IFDs off, insert a USB fob into each IFD.
2.  Power up the IFDs/Avionics bus.
3.  Note that the IFD boots to maintenance mode.
4.  Press the left or right side of the "AUX" page button as required to tab over to the "Config" tab.
5.  Twist the outer ring of the bottom right IFD knob to display page 2 "Main RS232 Config Page".
6.  Verify that CHNL 3 is set to "CrossSync" in both columns of both IFDs.

If it is set to "CrossSync" in all four locations, we'll keep digging.  If anyone of those four spots (input/output of channel 3 on both IFDs) is not set to CrossSync, then that is your problem.

Your installer should have set that up correctly at time of installation.  Have you ever had working crosssync between the two IFDs working yet?  Was this a replacement of two 530s or a new install of two 540s?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 8:48am
It was working perfectly prior to the update to 10.1. I assume the installer/ dealer somehow missed that on the settings then.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 8:49am
Thats not the ssame channel for Shadin is it?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 8:52am
No, it is not.   Channel 3 on both IFDs is essentially reserved for CrossSync between the two IFDs.

Talking to other devices like the Shadin happens on other ports/channels.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 9:48pm
I am having an IFD440 installed tomorrow below my IFD540. I bought a subscription at Oshkosh for both units and downloaded last night for the first time. I formatted the usb drive with FAT32 first before downloading. I went out tonight to update the 540 - errors, but no garbage files on the usb drive. This is my first attempt at updating the IFD540. 

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Lance

Edited by LANCE - 14 Sep 2015 at 9:49pm
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 12:23am
More data: what exact errors are you getting? What software version is on your 540? There are usually three items that are updated: charts, navdata, and obstacles. Did all three fail?
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 12:44pm
Using 10.1

All three failed, but I think I ejected the cards too soon from the JDM program on my Mac (using OS 10.10.5)

After the data is downloaded it goes through a "programming" routine. The first time I downloaded I think i ejected before that happened. They reset the data - I re-downloaded and will try updating tomorrow night.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 7:14pm
Eager to hear the results when you do.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 10:14pm
I called Jeppesen and they said the data was probably corrupt (that's not very encouraging). They reset my account so I could re-download. I formatted my flash drives (one for my IFD540 and one for my IFD440) again (FAT32) just to make sure. I downloaded the new data and it updated perfectly today. It took about 3 minutes on the IFD440 (nav data and obstacles) and about 8 minutes on the IFD540 (nav data, obstacles, charts). This was the first time I've updated. I wanted to wait until 10.1 was installed on the IFD540 first. I hope every time goes this smoothly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic