Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Service Information Letter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 Service Information Letter
    Posted: 18 May 2015 at 2:21pm
We have issued a Service Information Letter regarding CDI errors on approaches where the FAF leg is not aligned with the final approach course. This effects less than one percent, 106, of all approaches in the database.  The solution for this error has been added to software release 10.1 that will be available in the next few weeks. Per the SIL, affected approaches can be flown provided that you use Vectors To Final.

The full SIL (606-00182-001) can be located here: http://www.avidyne.com/support/downloads/index.asp

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 9:26am
Now an AD:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/952ad762abcb570186257e49006b52ab/$FILE/2015-10-51_Emergency.pdf

Maybe that will get the FAA off their butts!

* Orest

TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:14am
Well,  that's ONE way of getting the FAA to sign off 10.1 sooner...

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:15am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Now an AD:

Maybe that will get the FAA off their butts!

* Orest

Interesting, can you explain?
mkellock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkellock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:20am
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

Interesting, can you explain?

The AD is resolved by update 10.1, and 10.1 is held up at the FAA right now.
Piper Archer II
PA28-181
Tampa, FL
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:24am
Not sure how or if an AD issued by one FAA department will have any impact on the priorities of the certification department. I don't really expect that the left and right hand talk to each other.

Vince
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:28am
Only reason to think otherwise is that per the AD; the Boston FSDO has AMOC oversight.

I would presume Avidyne does its cert activities through Boston FSDO as well.

Avidyne?
David Gates
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:51am
certification efforts are done through the ACO, not the FSDO. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 11:49am
There is some sort of verbiage in the priority triaging of certification projects as to safety of operation. Who knows, maybe it will help a bit.

* Orest

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 8:37pm
I have no idea what internal communication they have, but when I see this kind of stuff, my first response is why is your lack of planning (code error in this case) now my emergency.  I don't see this as an opportunity to point fingers at the FAA.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 8:49pm
We are certainly not pointing fingers at the FAA on this.  We've been working with them for the past week on the topic after we alerted them of the condition and sent a copy of the SIL to them and the user community.

I will say this was NOT a code error.   The MOPS are extremely ambiguous on the topic and the way we coded it pre-10.1 was not in accordance with the current way to interpret the MOPS.

The SIL describes the conditions under which this issue manifests itself and the good news is that the FAA is highly motivated to speed the approval of Release 10.1 now as a result of the AD.   Things on the approval front seem to be speeding up rapidly.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:07pm
Steve:

Good news.  My two IFDs are speeding their way to your upgrade facility - hopefully they will come back with 10.1 loaded and vetted.

David Gates
scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:36pm
I have an IFD540, s/n M144432750 which is not installed yet (I'm waiting for my IFD440 and will install both together). I heard that some early IFD 540s may be in need of a modification to the I/O board as there was a post about a ferrite core causing I/O board initialization problems on early units. Can anyone at Avidyne comment on this? Does my unit need to go back to Avidyne for any kind of hardware upgrade? I would rather take care of this now rather than waiting for the 440 to arrive and then taking the plane down again. Who should I talk to about this?
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:48pm

I am afraid it is more likely to slow the approval process. The FAA has NO reason to speed up any approval. Their performance is judged on how well anything they sign off on performs. Not by how long it takes to issue the approval. No incentive at all for them to get the job done. In fact, any approval just means less work for them to do. 

What a lousy system WE have forced upon our selves.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 12:31am
Bob,

You are right, in fact they may perceive a rationale to go slower since there is an "error" discovered in the software logic.

Not sure WE did this, but at least WE didn't stop them from doing it, but that applies to most aspect of life in this country at this time.

Best.

David
David Gates
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 9:31am
Well, now the emergency AD is official.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

I have an IFD540, s/n M144432750 which is not installed yet (I'm waiting for my IFD440 and will install both together). I heard that some early IFD 540s may be in need of a modification to the I/O board as there was a post about a ferrite core causing I/O board initialization problems on early units. Can anyone at Avidyne comment on this? Does my unit need to go back to Avidyne for any kind of hardware upgrade? I would rather take care of this now rather than waiting for the 440 to arrive and then taking the plane down again. Who should I talk to about this?
I had Tech Support take a look at the s/n and it does need a hardware update.

For this, coordinate with an Avidyne dealer for a covered under warranty Repair and Return.  We will have the unit 10-15 business days from the time it arrives.  If you time it right and wait till 10.1 is STC'd - all work could be done at the same time.  

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic