Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not Getting Garmin GDL69 WX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suskej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not Getting Garmin GDL69 WX
    Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 10:11pm
Just had a 540 installed and the avionics shop is having a problem getting the XM weather to display on the 540.  Any ideas would bee helpful.  Settings software etc ?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 6:50am
Two pages to pay attention to.  

First is the Maintenance Mode RS-232 Configurations page (page 2 on the "Configurations" tab).   The proper port must have "GDL69" selected.

Second is the Flight Mode Datalink status page (AUX page, SYS tab, press the Select line select key on the left side until Datalink is displayed).  On that page, you can easily see if the IFD is communicating with the GDL69.

If you're still having a problem, either take pictures of those two pages or send the IFD datalogs into Tech Support and we should be able to see if the system is configured correctly.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Jack Seubert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 5:43pm
Steve,

I am having trouble getting the GLD69 to display my 540.  The GLD69 software is 4.02 as displayed on a G430.  The attenuation was set at install to match the 430 at 24. On the datalink display the correct Radio Id is displayed, Attenuation is Valid and the signal quality is very strong.  When we stick the 430 in the slot, the weather and meters displays correctly.  We have tried changing the db to 58 and 74 at the request of Tech support.  I have a picture of the GDL 69 in the setup page of the 540 and its a bit fuzzy but looks like 45.  Main 232 Config page CHNL2 GLD 69 for input and output.
I have had the signal refreshed by Sirius 2 times.  No way to know if it worked.

Data logs have been sent to tech support

Do you have any suggestions?
Jack

Jack Seubert
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 8:03pm
Do you know what software version of the GDL-69A you have is?   Section 6.5 of the IFD Install Manual requires version 4.01 or later.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 8:37pm
Steve,

The software is 4.02.

Jack
Jack Seubert
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 8:39pm
Hhhmm.  Did it ever work for you with IFD540?

It works fine for me and the gobs of other customers who have it.  Can you take and either attach or send to me, a picture of the AUX - SYS - Datalink page?   From that picture, I can at least tell if the IFD is talking to/recognizing the presence of the GDL.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 8:43pm
This is the page I'm hoping you can take a picture of:

Edited by AviJake - 11 Nov 2015 at 8:43pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 9:39pm
Steve, I have just finished the install.  We had a bad unit which was replaced the first one the GPS failed on the way home from the install shop.  Weather did not work on either box.

Jack Seubert
ChuckGell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckGell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:30am
We just ran into this problem as well and noticed an error message code  with the garmin, can't remember code, but something like 000br instead of XM  "Aviator light." The garmin displayed the weather despite the error code while the IFD540 did not, but XM bumped me to aviator pro for one month and it all worked. The "aviator pro" name showed up in both normally. This suggests a problem with the XM software since it is occurring on both products. I have heard as well you require the lastest software update for the GDL69 or GD 69A.
Chuck Gell
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 11:12am
Chuck and Steve thanks for your replies.  

We checked our software by putting a G430 in the slot and verified that the GLD 69 was running 4.02.  

I tried various combination using my 440 and 540 seperately and was finally able to get the 540 to display Not Rcvd displayed instead of the dashes.   At that point, there was no change for probably 20 minutes, so I did a Sirius renew and in a few minutes the dashes began to be replaced with update refresh times.
Before I did all that, Avidyne Tech support had me changing the attenuation settings which seemed sort of unusual to me as the settings are set on the GLD 69 at install and it didn't make sense to change them with the new radios. One thing we had to do was pull and reset the GDL 69 CB after each change in the attenuation setting otherwise we got an attenuation warning message.
I'm pretty sure that the Sirius update is probably the thing that got us going.  I did try updating the Sirius early in the process but did not have any success.
Jack

Jack Seubert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic