Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 - Ready For prime time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gablesm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 - Ready For prime time
    Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 7:56pm
I recently had two Garmin GNS530W's replaced with two IFD540's.  

Here is my experience:

On install, the Top IFD 540 had GPS issues.  Avidyne replaced it via overnight.
after 3 days and another flight, the replacement continued to have issues. Avidyne replaced it via overnight.

After 5 days, my Garmin G500 GDL 69A errored out.  It was found to be an issue on boot sequence and the only fix was to turn off the interface between the 540's and the G500/GDL69A.

After 7 days and another flight, I received intermittent traffic errors on both IFD540's.  Come to find out, Avidyne has issues with the proper setup between skywatch and the 540's. 

After ~10 days, I now have the bottom IFD 540 erroring on two different issues. GPS Fault Dead Reckoning and GPS Integrity lost.  it eventually comes back.  During this time, my wind direction and speed calculations on my G500 vary between no data and completely impossible wind speeds. 

Hopefully this monday, the IFD540 "Slide in replacements" will be removed and my originally GNS530W's that have functioned for multiple years will be reinstalled.

I commend Avidyne for trying to replace the GNS 530 platform.  However, their reverse engineering approach to software development is dangerous.  I normally don't depart with failed equipment and never did in any of the past two weeks I've been operating the IFD 540.  Unfortunately, the problems are unpredictable and occur at the most inconvenient of times. 

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 7:59pm
After an initial change out (tech support was very helpful), my IFD540 has been absolutely solid. Works with everything.

Wow, it would be really tough to go back to a GNS, hope things straighten out for you.

* Orest

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 8:02pm
I have also been having GPS integrity and Fault issues on my Top 540 only.  The bottom has been rock solid from day 1. We have done extensive trouble shooting with no solution as yet.  To date, we have replaced the box with a new one, swapped the coax and antenna from bottom to top (and visa versa) and replaced the rack and backplate on the top unit.  We swapped coax and antenna to see if the problem would move to the bottom 540.  It did not.  Continues to stay only with the top unit.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 8:49pm
It is hard for me to understand with the long development period in the run up to release, how is it that there seem to be such show stopping problems?
David Gates
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 9:57pm
It is hard for me to understand with the long development period in the run up to release, how is it that there seem to be such show stopping problems?

+1

Edited by Leonard - 05 Apr 2015 at 9:59pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 10:04pm
The other thing that is curious, and it may help to explain why this did not get stamped out during development, these real issues that some folks are seeing, seem to be rather sporadic.

* Orest

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 12:38am
This is just frightening, I really hope AviJake can figure out a way to come up with some good news because there are a lot of unhappy customers.

Originally posted by Gablesm Gablesm wrote:

Hopefully this monday, the IFD540 "Slide in replacements" will be removed and my originally GNS530W's that have functioned for multiple years will be reinstalled.

What do you plan on doing?  Continue working with Avidyne?  Send them back for a refund?  Were you an early adopter?  Hopefully you only had minor install costs due to them being a slide-in.
topogen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 7:41am
I have had zero issues with my single IFD540... it works each time and every time.  My installation was not a slide in replacement but a 'de novo' install along with Mode S transponder.  I wonder if there are issues with the slide in exchange with the Garmin?  Any one else want to chime in on this??  I have a late model Cessna 182S with a factory panel (ie, not chopped up or molested). 
Mark
Not all that counts can be counted
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 8:43am
As I mentioned in another thread, we had problems getting the 540 to fit in the 530 tray on initial install. It took a lot of pushing and wiggling. Initial test flights resulted in intermittent GPS lock. The lock could always be brought back by exercising the locking screw in the bottom middle of the unit, so we suspected the 530 tray. We re-installed with a new 530 tray that I had bought to sell with my 530, and it slid in perfectly, although still a tighter fit than a 530. This resolved all of the problems and the unit has performed perfectly since. Initial failures were with 10.0.2 and we installed 10.0.3 with the new tray.

Edited by rolfe_tessem - 06 Apr 2015 at 8:44am
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 8:55am
Regarding the comment, "ready for prime time", while some people have had problems--serious problems that Avidyne needs to quickly and competently address--that's not been the universal experience.  I'm sure that by now, there are at least many hundreds of units installed, and I'm sure plenty of them have had nearly trouble-free experiences like mine.  (I did have one update failure which was solved by formatting the USB stick and re-trying, and I have seen a GPS loss-of-lock once in 25 hrs of flying that I expect to be resolved with a software update.)

The minor problems are not surprising considering I'm an early adopter of a v1.0 box.  I'd bet the G430/530's had similar glitches when they were released; the stable 430W/530W boxes we're familiar with today are running v5.10.  (Don't forget that Garmins today have their share of service advisories, too:  http://garmin.blogs.com/aviationalerts/service-advisories/.)

The bigger problems--like the ones that Gablesm, teeth6, and others have reported that have resulted in AOG--are probably also not unexpected in the early stages of a new product rollout, though that doesn't make it any better for the folks who hit those problems.  All eyes are on Avidyne to see that they are engaged and active in resolving those issues.

Edited by MysticCobra - 06 Apr 2015 at 8:57am
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 9:25am
Totally agree MysticCobra.  Aviydne has done everything possible to try to correct the issues and take it VERY seriously.  I appreciate all they are doing and realize earlier adopters have to expect some of this.  Their customer service makes me even more committed to the product despite my hiccups.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 10:01am
I'm glad others are having success, but I've had nothing but issues with Avidyne all around.  I'm 0 for ~5 for tech support calling me back.  They have only 1 time been able to address my question when I called (what is the tracking number of my RMA).  Every other time they've said they would have to check and call back and I have never received a call back.
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 12:02pm
Welcome to the extended Beta Test, folks.  I've shipped dozens of products (both hard and soft) over my career.  With a product that must interface to so many external devices and protocols, you build your test matrix, do your best to find all the edge cases, and then learn what you missed when it hits the streets.

That's the reality of complex products. As pointed out, Garmin gets it wrong too.  I've submitted a number of bug reports and even helped with data collection on their GDL39 that had problems with interfacing to other products as well.

What I would LIKE to see from Avidyne is some acknowledgement that our bug reports are being logged, ranked, and addressed.  If I know they're in the system and are attached to a release I have some confidence that the eng team will look at the problem in detail.  Steve does try and do this in an informal way for us and I appreciate that.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

What I would LIKE to see from Avidyne is some acknowledgement that our bug reports are being logged, ranked, and addressed. 

That you can be assured of.  I am the keeper of the formal Problem Report database.  We have an extensive, and very formal process for this.   A top level summary of that process:

• Reports come in via all kinds of means - AvidyneLive, direct calls to Tech support, emails to tech support line, communication with installers, customer complaints at trade shows, etc
  • Each report is parsed, and when called for, investigated by either myself or folk(s) in other parts of Engineering
  • Unless immediately dismissed as user error or some other immediate and absolute means (and communicated back to the original reporter and acknowledged/confirmed by them), the report then gets it's own entry in our Problem Report (PR) tracking database.
  • The Product Manager for the given product, frequently (in the case of the IFD540, daily) paws through the PR database, looks for trends and prods engineering for continued investigation when needed, and then rack & stacks the list in priority.
  • At the start of every new release cycle, we are required to review all open PRs and priority stacking to draw the line on the release definition.  That line firms up over the course of the release development and then gets locked at the appropriate time.
  • Independent and parallel to this, our QA department is measuring and monitoring field performance and has heavy input on the weighting/priority determination.
  • As a side note, that PR database contains both "problem" reports and all the neat new ideas folks submit so we have one Mother-Of-All-Databases for each product.

Clearly there is a lot more to it than that but you get the idea.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

I'm glad others are having success, but I've had nothing but issues with Avidyne all around.  I'm 0 for ~5 for tech support calling me back.  They have only 1 time been able to address my question when I called (what is the tracking number of my RMA).  Every other time they've said they would have to check and call back and I have never received a call back.

Tech Support was directed to respond today.  
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 12:48pm
Thanks, Steve.  I figured you had a strong bug tracking process in place.  I didn't mean that comment to sound harsh.  I'd just love to be able to ask about BUG #xxxx and see if it's being addressed in a particular release.  It's the hyphen in my xxx-retentive, I guess.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 12:51pm
No problem.    I imagine this could start a time-consuming precedent but if you really want to track the status of a given bug, just describe the bug and I'll respond with the internal tracking number.

I'm standing by for the deluge.....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

Tech Support was directed to respond today.  

We I'm not sure I understand what's going on.  I called them this morning specifically stating I needed a call back.  When they didn't and I called them back, they said they tried and weren't able to get through (not sure if they said it was disconnected or what).  I have no issues calling that number from another line.  Perhaps the lack of call backs is on my end, but I'm not sure how.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 7:52am
That's SOP for them.  They never have called me back after saying they would.  I always need to initiate the call,  but once I do they are helpful.
Gablesm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gablesm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 11:42pm
The IFD540's were removed and the GNS530W's reinstalled.  Everything worked flawlessly.  No skywatch errors, no GPS failures, no erratic behavior for wind calculation from the ADC in the G500.  

I'm waiting to hear back from the avionics shop.  If Avidyne can't explain why each issue occurred and how to resolve it, then I have no intention of re-installing them.  I fly a P46T because it's highly capable and highly reliable.  The current software and potentially hardware that is in this platform makes the airplane highly unreliable.  

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 7:36am
What shop are you working with?

* Orest

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 8:23am
During my install, there were intermittent issues but so far that's now all resolved.  The root cause of all the intermittent problems was the tray.  If you have gone through three units and nothing has improved doesn't logic tell you that perhaps it might be an installation issue?  

Edited by tony - 09 Apr 2015 at 8:26am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 8:35am
That has been true (installation issue, not product issue) in most of the reported problem installs so far.  Not all of them, but most of them.

We're continuing to add software tools in the IFD to help identify those kinds of things in Rel 10.1.0.0 software and beyond.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 8:42am

The IFD540's were removed and the GNS530W's reinstalled.  Everything worked flawlessly.  No skywatch errors, no GPS failures, no erratic behavior for wind calculation from the ADC in the G500.  

I'm waiting to hear back from the avionics shop.  If Avidyne can't explain why each issue occurred and how to resolve it, then I have no intention of re-installing them.  I fly a P46T because it's highly capable and highly reliable.  The current software and potentially hardware that is in this platform makes the airplane highly unreliable.  

1.  Skywatch errors - turns out they existed in the 530W "system" as well.  The difference in the 530/430 world was that these errors do not get displayed on the boxes whereas the 540 displayed every reported internal Skywatch and Stormscope error code as an alert message.  That was intended to help the installer but has been perceived as 540-induced errors.   Release 10.1.0.0 removes those CAS messages but still datalogs those internal error reports if folks have issues with the device integrations.

2.  GPS failures - need to re-review your specific logs to see what software version of IFD you had and what types of GPS issues you had to see if already addressed by current software or will be as part of Release 10.1.0.0.

3.  Erratic wind vector on the G500 - that was an Avidyne induced bug that we found and fixed a few releases ago.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gablesm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gablesm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 2:53pm
The removed IFD's were running 10.0.3
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 9:50pm
Gablesm,

It has got to be the old 530 trays.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 9:55pm
We had problems with the GPS initially.  It turned out the 530 tray was set back about 1/8" from flush with the front of the panel edge, but that was enough to make the GPS antenna contact from back-shell to IFD marginal.  Once Jeff (KDVO - Direct Avionics - great guy) fixed that problem the GPS was rock solid and everything worked once we got the config correct.

SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 9:25am
Any updates on this issue?

My IFD 540 was also a clean installation (no 530) and it has been flawless.

I've got about 10 hours in the aircraft in the 3 weeks since I picked it up.

I would be very curious to know if all those who are having these issues are 530 slide in replacement units.

Edited by SB Jim - 16 Apr 2015 at 9:47am
Gablesm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gablesm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 9:30am
At this point, I have no reason to re-install the IFD540's. While some have speculated bad trays, it's hard to make that claim when the 530w's perform without flaw.

Has there been new software released?
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 9:50am
I think the next release is 10.1.00 which is due out later this month.

It would be very interesting to slide one of your 540's into an aircraft with a known, working tray (Garmin or Aviydne) to see what happened.

As a long time CNX 80 owner I can tell you the mounting trays were the source of a lot of problems and getting the units seated properly was very important.

Where are you based?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 10:57am

\While some have speculated bad trays, it's hard to make that claim when the 530w's perform without flaw.
Some have speculated, yes.  

Some have also reported that problems similar to yours were traced back to bad connections with the Garmin tray.  

I don't know what your forward plan is, but since you're still posting here I assume you want to solve the problem.  Seems like checking to see if you have the same tray issue that others have reported (they, too, had no trouble with their 530s) would be a good idea.

Software updates can't fix a loose connector.
Flysrv10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flysrv10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

We had problems with the GPS initially.  It turned out the 530 tray was set back about 1/8" from flush with the front of the panel edge, but that was enough to make the GPS antenna contact from back-shell to IFD marginal.  Once Jeff (KDVO - Direct Avionics - great guy) fixed that problem the GPS was rock solid and everything worked once we got the config correct.

How did he fix the problem? I just installed my unit and saw it acquire GPS once and never again. Scary, because I just shipped the Avidyne tray to my g530 buyer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 9:41pm
There's nothing inherently wrong with the 530 cage and back-plate.  We noticed the cage was set back about 3/16 of an inch from being flush with the front panel edge.  There is some way to adjust this but I wasn't watching.  With the cage set back, the connection to the GPS antenna on the backplate was marginal.  

Once Jeff (Direct Avionics at KDVO) brought the cage forward, we had no further loss of signal issues.

NOTE:  AviJake reported a possible issue that may be causing your issue due to a HW change they made to the I/O board.  Check the most recent threads for his updates.

Edited by TogaDriver - 17 Apr 2015 at 10:17am
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 1:30pm
The good news here is that most of us who have replaced our GNS-530W units with the IFD540 have had to buy an Avidyne mounting tray as well.  That's because you can't sell your GNS-530W anymore without the mounting tray and hardware, since Garmin stopped selling them separately in an effort to try and frustrate IFD540 "plug and play" installations.  So most of us aren't trying to slide the IFD540 into an old Garmin mounting tray and make it work.  Using a new Avidyne tray should mean fewer connection problems...

Mike
< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">

Edited by GMSutton - 18 Apr 2015 at 1:30pm
Gablesm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gablesm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 1:33pm
Perhaps the Avidyne marketing folks should stop advertising this as a plug and play replacement to a garmin 530 if it truly isn't a plug and play replacement.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 1:43pm
Absolutely not.  And the 75 or so people who have done NOTHING other than remove the 530 and slide in the 540 will agree.

All combinations of boxes and trays are also permissible via the PMA approvals we also have.

530 box - Garmin tray
530 box - Avidyne tray
540 box - Garmin tray
540 box - Avidyne tray

All allowed and FAA data to point to in every case.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 6:00pm
I have one 540 in a Garmin 530 tray and one 540 in an Avidyne 540 tray.  No connectivity issues with either installation, although the 540 tray looks to be better built.  Been running them this way for over a year.
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 12:23pm
Do you have data to back that up ? Below AviJake says 75 folks have used the 530 tray. Everyone I know is using a 530 tray. How many more are out there than 75 ? I'm thinking not many based on some figures I have seen.

I do know I have had and am still having plenty of issues. The 540 won't initially acquire sats, reboot and hope the first one works....I have had to reboot up to four or five times before it sees any sats. Just yesterday I flew for maybe 45 minutes or so and the VHF nav/com part never worked (and it took one reboot to see sats) I'm not sure I have had one flight where everything worked. Like the title reflects, Ready for prime time ? Based on all the issues people are having...NO way. Somebody, Avidyne, FAA ? Jumped the gun and if it's the FAA then some heads should roll. Eight or nine years with the 530 and never the first issue.

Picture:
http://instagram.com/p/1qcqqeBxwO/

Originally posted by GMSutton GMSutton wrote:

The good news here is that most of us who have replaced our GNS-530W units with the IFD540 have had to buy an Avidyne mounting tray as well.  That's because you can't sell your GNS-530W anymore without the mounting tray and hardware, since Garmin stopped selling them separately in an effort to try and frustrate IFD540 "plug and play" installations.  So most of us aren't trying to slide the IFD540 into an old Garmin mounting tray and make it work.  Using a new Avidyne tray should mean fewer connection problems...

Mike

Edited by Bad1996 - 19 Apr 2015 at 12:42pm
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:12pm
I have used both trays with the same unit. No problems as outlined in this
forum. Initially installed with 530 tray. Installed 540 tray to facilitate resale. 
Never saw any difference. 
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:27pm
1)  One of you mentioned flying a PA-46T (FAA: P46T).   Piper got it perfect on the first try with the Mailbu! (Hint:  That was a joke. )

2)  Garmin promised, when the 430/530 came out that they would be WAAS upgradable, with a firmware update.  It ended up being "mostly" a new box and $3K.  

3)  Any new product has some teething issues.  

4)  Go get two 750's wired in, and I am CERTAIN that all of the interfaces will work perfectly on the first try.  

Ken
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:41pm
Bad,

I heard 1000+ total 540 sales a couple of months ago.

* Orest
Gablesm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gablesm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 7:23pm
Ken -

1.) some of us actually use our airplanes to go somewhere and its for more than just burning holes in the sky on a VFR day.  

2.) Given the fact that Garmin introduced WAAS in 2005, approximately 5 years after Clinton ordered the elimination of selective availability, I would expect "bugs" and unknowns that caused a firmware upgrade.  I'm pretty certain in this situation that Avidyne isn't introducing anything new, they are just trying to photocopy and "improve" whats already been done (which, btw, I was hopeful they would improve.  I didn't realize I would have to accept hardware/software interoperability failures). therefore, I'm not certain your point about or intention for reference. 

3.) I'm okay with bugs that aren't critical.  that said, the experience that some of us have had with the product would be easily classified as critical given it would be the cause of AOG and scrubbing a trip.  Even worse, imagine shooting an LPV, OVC002 and 1.25 miles visibility and you get a GPS Integrity lost error or GPS fault dead reckoning; I think the outcome could be disastrous.  

4.) Given my experience, I would love to go get two 750's wired in. UNFORTUNATELY, I've already sunk money into two IFD540's that are nothing short of unpredictable and now I'm in limbo waiting for either better software or a determination that I'm not stuck with buggy software/hardware. 

hope this helps with a different perspective.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Bad1996 Bad1996 wrote:

Eight or nine years with the 530 and never the first issue.
If you only had the 530 for 8 or 9 years, then you still got it 8 or 9 years after it first came on the market...plenty of time for them to work the bugs out.  (530 first released in 1998.)

I wasn't in aviation when the Garmins first came out, but I'd bet there were a few early adopters who had problems, too.
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 9:16am
Gablesm,

I agree, your equipment needs to be reliable.

I've yet to see an LOI error on my IFD 540. But I've seen a dozen or more on each flight with my CNX 80 since the 540 was installed.

The only other items installed were an AXP 340 Transponder and a USB charging port.

I suspected the charging port as any time I used it the squelch on both COMs would trip and I'd have to listen to static until someone spoke on the radio.

I had the shop replace the unit they installed with the Mid Continent "True Blue" port and all the problems disappeared.

Based on what I've read (and my experience with the CNX 80) you may be having an issue with the installation trays, as that can wreak havoc with avionics.

I know it doesn't help you but my 540 continues to work flawlessly.

I hope you get it sorted out.
Gablesm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gablesm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 9:27am
SB Jim,

thanks for the encouragement.  I don't have a CNX80. prior to switching to IFD540's, my configuration consisted of a G500, (2) GNS530W, GMX200, GAD43E, GDL69A, SKYwatch.  when they removed the GNS530W's for IFD540's, the GDL69 had to be turned off due to a boot sequence between IFD and GDL.  second, Skywatch traffic became intermittent (supposedly a setup issue; can't use skywatch setting) and finally, the ADC for the G500 was inconsistent.  it would say I had a 94Kt cross wind, 90 degrees from current course even though I only had about 5 degrees of deflection necessary. 

Once they removed the IFD540's, all the misbehaving equipment went back to normal.
I do hope they get it worked out, however, it's incredibly frustrating to pay full price for something that is not ready for prime time.
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 11:41am
Gablesm,

I share your experience and pain. Fortunately, I guess, I only installed one unit. But until the 540 becomes reliable, I feel stuck VFR. I wanted to add the 440 for the integration, but given our experience, I am reluctant at this time. Might just go with the Garmin and pay for two subscriptions, I don't know yet. When it works, the Avidyne is a great box, so would expect the 440 to be also.
 I just got another unit installed, but weather has prevented any meaningful use, so I can't say if the fix is in.
kansasdoc
ptlevine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by comancheguy comancheguy wrote:

1)  One of you mentioned flying a PA-46T (FAA: P46T).   Piper got it perfect on the first try with the Mailbu! (Hint:  That was a joke. )

Ken
I fly a JetProp conversion of a 99 Malibu Mirage. The JP is absolute proof that there is always room for improvement in any product... 
I was a very early install of the IFD 540. Some of the first software fixes were a result of some troubleshooting with my box. However, since then it has been very reliable. I still have g430w below it, waiting on the 440 release. 
About the only "issue" I am noticing these days is that the green vector pip on my G500 SVT appears slightly low when being used for runway GS alignment vs the 530w or switching over to the 430w. The pip will look like I am lower than I am or on a shallower GS, short or on the front of the runway, vs right in the middle of the first third of the runway as it should be (and is). I haven't circled back with Avi on this issue yet. need to shoot some coupled approaches and video the difference...

Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 11:22pm
Garmin was installed Jan 2002 by the previous owner. I don't know if there were issues but now, thirteen years later I would have hoped they could make the VHF work and the box would see sats on the first start (it did see them on the first start today)
I did do holds today and one approach and all worked very nice with my new GPSS. When it changed from hold to a different hold or hold to approach there was a delay in drawing the new lines that I didn't really like but I guess it's waiting for an appropriate transition time. The VHF did go out twice.
My 540 is being shipped back tomorrow.

Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

Originally posted by Bad1996 Bad1996 wrote:

Eight or nine years with the 530 and never the first issue.

If you only had the 530 for 8 or 9 years, then you still got it 8 or 9 years after it first came on the market...plenty of time for them to work the bugs out.  (530 first released in 1998.)

I wasn't in aviation when the Garmins first came out, but I'd bet there were a few early adopters who had problems, too.
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 9:59am
There have been issues with GTN's, G500's, etc.

But Garmin seems to have earned enough customer respect that the issues are forgiven.

Avidyne simply needs to jump on these issues as they arise and get them sorted out.
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 10:10am
Gablesm,

What is your plan?

Wait for 10.1.00 and try again?

Or?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic