Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 - Ready For prime time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 8:02pm
I have also been having GPS integrity and Fault issues on my Top 540 only.  The bottom has been rock solid from day 1. We have done extensive trouble shooting with no solution as yet.  To date, we have replaced the box with a new one, swapped the coax and antenna from bottom to top (and visa versa) and replaced the rack and backplate on the top unit.  We swapped coax and antenna to see if the problem would move to the bottom 540.  It did not.  Continues to stay only with the top unit.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 7:59pm
After an initial change out (tech support was very helpful), my IFD540 has been absolutely solid. Works with everything.

Wow, it would be really tough to go back to a GNS, hope things straighten out for you.

* Orest

Gablesm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gablesm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 7:56pm
I recently had two Garmin GNS530W's replaced with two IFD540's.  

Here is my experience:

On install, the Top IFD 540 had GPS issues.  Avidyne replaced it via overnight.
after 3 days and another flight, the replacement continued to have issues. Avidyne replaced it via overnight.

After 5 days, my Garmin G500 GDL 69A errored out.  It was found to be an issue on boot sequence and the only fix was to turn off the interface between the 540's and the G500/GDL69A.

After 7 days and another flight, I received intermittent traffic errors on both IFD540's.  Come to find out, Avidyne has issues with the proper setup between skywatch and the 540's. 

After ~10 days, I now have the bottom IFD 540 erroring on two different issues. GPS Fault Dead Reckoning and GPS Integrity lost.  it eventually comes back.  During this time, my wind direction and speed calculations on my G500 vary between no data and completely impossible wind speeds. 

Hopefully this monday, the IFD540 "Slide in replacements" will be removed and my originally GNS530W's that have functioned for multiple years will be reinstalled.

I commend Avidyne for trying to replace the GNS 530 platform.  However, their reverse engineering approach to software development is dangerous.  I normally don't depart with failed equipment and never did in any of the past two weeks I've been operating the IFD 540.  Unfortunately, the problems are unpredictable and occur at the most inconvenient of times. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic