Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Map Orientation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bneub111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Map Orientation
    Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:52pm
I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but in the user options page, "map orientation" is grayed out and I can't change it. Any suggestions?
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 6:51am
The map orientation selection allows you to set the unit to display either Track Up or Heading Up. It is greyed out because you don't have heading information into your box from either a EFIS or from something like a stormscope that receives analog x,y,z information.
bneub111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bneub111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 8:43am
That seems strange. It knows what my actual track is based on gps. I want to see the plane pointed up on the display instead of north. My 430 did that without any trouble so maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot.
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 8:58am
Have you tried pressing the bottom right knob when on the map page? That should change orientation between north up and track up (Pilot Guide page 3-2).  

Incidentally, unless I'm missing something, the 540 does not indicate the current orientation.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 9:06am
There are two concepts here, one is what is the source for displaying the aircraft, GPS Track, or Aircraft Heading, and the other is how the aircraft is shown on the moving map, Heading/Track up Centered, Heading/Track up Arc view, or North Up view.

The User Options control whether the unit is using your GPS track or Aircraft heading.  In your case, you don't have the option of displaying Heading because you appear not to have a heading source input to the IFD540.

The MAP screen has an option to cycle through the available views - Track Up, Track Up  Arc, North Up.  To change the view, press the lower right knob which cycles through the various views.  I believe this is what you want to do.  See page 3-2 of the 10.1.0.0 user's guide.  It is in the other user's guides as well, I just don't know the page numbers.
bneub111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bneub111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 12:01pm
I'll try the suggestions, I bet that will solve my problem.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic