Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Specifying a runway

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Specifying a runway
    Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 9:18am
Specifying a runway in the ORIGIN airport block, in the absence of a SID at that airport, does that provide any additional system guidance or paint something on the map, compared to just leaving that field blank?

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 8:45am
Nope.  Not yet at least.....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 9:21am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Nope.  Not yet at least.....

Anything in the works, or just some possibilities at this time?

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 9:37am
Just possibilities.  Got something in mind?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 9:47am
With a runway specified ...

- paint a runway extension, for that runway alone, on the map
- georeference a runway extension line on the chart, that would be powerful for taxiing.
- aural annunciation "approaching specified runway"

Which brings to mind a wider suggestion, any plans to implement at least a basic runway awareness and advisory (RAAS) solution in the 540? That would be stellar!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 28 Mar 2015 at 9:49am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 11:41am
I already had the aural annunciation in the database and I just added the other two ideas to the same entry - thanks.

As for RAAS, I do have it in the database but we didn't have any near or mid term plans to attempt - it's protected by a lot of IP.   If/when we try to add the "approaching specified runway" aural, we can probably look at low hanging, public domain aspects of RAAS while we're at it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 5:26pm
Excellent, thank you!

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 9:15pm

Jake:

I know it is unrealistic to allow the universe to throw ideas at you day in and day out, but the fact that you are looking at the ideas submitted, and are interested in innovating, speaks volumes about the potential of the products coming out of your shop.

I know as well that a lot of ideas won't stick, and others are too aspirational, but I am equally impressed that these boxes that I bought so long ago, basically capability unknown, are not static but are evolving.

My compliments on this approach.

David

David Gates
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 6:41am
+1
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 7:37am
Very kind indeed.

It feels like a good problem to have - there are so many entries in the future feature database and we want them all so prioritizing and drawing the line is like picking your favorite child and leaving the rest to wait.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:56am
Or maybe like Sophie's choice   :-\     bh
BH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic