Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

USB Charging I-Pad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB Charging I-Pad
    Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 1:52pm
540 will not charge or will the i pad show a charge from the 540.
Are there any settings that we overlooked?

BTW this weekend using the pad with the pilots guide on Ibooks when I went to Remove the usb connector from the 540 to the pad the connection was very very difficult to remove.

Once remove (power off then on)used the update stick to see if the 540 would recognize the connection and all seemed to work fine.

Any suggestions?
Thanks 
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 2:37pm
The iPad doesn't comply with the true UBS standard and while the IFD540 from what I've read will output 10watts at the UBS plug, this will not be sufficient to show a charge on some of the latest iPads which now require 15watts.

That said, just because the iPad does not show a charge does not mean it is not charging.  A 15watt iPad mini will charge just fine, albeit longer, on a the USB 2.0 standard output of 2.5watts or the USB 3.0 standard of 4.5 watts.

This charging topic is covered quite extensively on the Apple forums.  Apple just does a <profane word> job with their products when standards are involved.

Not saying you couldn't have an issue, but did your iPad actually discharge or did the battery level increase while it was plugged in even if it didn't say it was charging?

Edited by roltman - 19 Mar 2015 at 2:38pm
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 3:24pm
The latest iPads require 10 watt chargers and therefore the 2.1 amp output of the IFD'S USB is totally adequate.
One earlier model of the iPad was supplied with a 12 watt charger but never 15 watts.
See the following.....
https://discussions.apple.com/message/24548751#24548751

Edited by DH82FLYER - 10 Sep 2015 at 7:03am
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 3:53pm
FWIW, my 540 charges my iPad just fine.  That rubber cover on the USB port is kind of annoying though.
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 10:43pm
Thanks guys,
It's an  IPad air and it discharges while pluged in.
I knew that it wasn't maintaining a charge while pluged in but never noticed that the green battery light while plugged was not on and the connection wasn't even maintaining the pad.

The cord being used works in other situations and is straight from apple

Straight from the IFD guide

The USB port on the front of the IFD bezel is a USB v1 .1
compatible USB port and can be used as a “high power” charger
as well.
Most devices are “low power” devices and they will fully charge
from the IFD bezel USB port. Some devices are “high power”
devices and need up to 2.1amps of power – these devices can
also be charged from the IFD USB port. The iPad is a good
example of a “high power” device and the IFD supports charging.

Is there a thingamajiggie that I could use to confirm power supply from the IFD?

Edited by Leonard - 19 Mar 2015 at 10:48pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 11:09pm
Just plug in your phone, or any other standard USB device that accepts charging.

* Orest

mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 9:50am
What's the bus voltage on your airplane - 12 or 24 volts?

Figure 4.11 of the IFD540 Installation Manual says that if the input voltage to the IFD540 is less than 18 volts, the USB port drops from high power to low power charging.

If the input voltage is less than 12.75 volts, the USB charging port is turned off

If you have an older airplane with a 12 volt electrical system your normal bus voltage will be around 14 volts. So you should be able to charge a low power device from an IFD540. But you will never be able to charge an iPad.

Mike

Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 10:05am
Thanks Mike,

It's 12v.  Only in cruse will I get voltage over 12.75. I'll look at that section.
Thank You for the explanation.

Leonard 
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 10:15am

That's what I figured. It's too bad that this information is so obscure. You shouldn't have to dig through the installation manual to find it.

Mike

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 10:43am
I carry a 15600 mAH power brick with me in my flight bag for that purpose.  It puts out either 5V, 1 Amp or 2.1 Amps, and will charge an iPhone about 3 times, or an iPad from dead battery once.

Cost about $20.

David G.

Edited by ddgates - 20 Mar 2015 at 10:43am
David Gates
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 11:33am
DDGates

Yes but I'll just go (or have gone) back to what I've been using. A plug on the left cockpit floor with my short cord which keeps it out of the way of the panel.
The IFD's USB for power isn't as nice as you would think (at lease for me). 
The power cord from the IFD reminds me of one of those thingamahangs that people put on their rear view mirror (may look good to the beholder but always getting in the way).  LOL

Leonard
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 11:38am
Originally posted by mfb mfb wrote:

That's what I figured. It's too bad that this information is so obscure. You shouldn't have to dig through the installation manual to find it.

Mike

+1
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:05am
Agreed.  That's why I added this section to the Rel 10.1 version of the Pilot Guide:

Low Power Operations

The following actions are taken as input power is reduced to the IFD:

Input Voltage

IFD Operation Impact

19.9VDC

16W VHF radio output power reduces to 10W.

18VDC

Lose high power (2.1A) USB charging. USB charging reduces to 1A.

12.75VDC

Lose all USB charging.

11.5VDC

Bezel lighting and display lighting maximum values are reduced.

10.9VDC

VHF radio output power reduces to 6W.

10.0VDC

VHF radio output power reduces to 4W.

9VDC

60-second countdown to IFD shutdown begins (countdown message displayed on the IFD).

Function is restored by rising above those voltage thresholds by 1VDC for more than 1 second.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 1:14pm
This may be picking nits but that should be low voltage operation and the actions are taken when voltage is reduced.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 1:19pm
Hah, correct but yes, that feels like the definition of "picking nits".......
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 12:23am
Well hopefully that explains why I could only get 20% brightness on my display while making some adjustments in the hangar.  My bus voltage was down to 11V at the time.  My maximum value was configured to 100, but the most I could get was 20.  I'll try again in the future with the engine running (and bus voltage at 14.1 or so)
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 6:54am
There are dimming bus calibrations that can/should be run that may have a real impact for you. Those procedures are in the Install Manual.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 7:47am
Yes.  My installer went through that, and then I went through it myself.  While on the ground my max bus voltage was 11.0V.  I set the max dimming bus voltage to 11.0 V, and the max brightness to 100, and with the dimming bus cranked all the way to 11V, I only got 20% on the brightness.  I took a pic, but don't have time to post it.  Per your chart above, when below 11.5V, the display and bezel brightness is reduced.  I can only assume that this is why I wasn't seeing 100% at full dimming bus voltage.  I will try again with the engine running, and if I don't see 100% at that point, I'll raise a flag.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 8:48am
Okay. And when you're at it, note the setting in bottom left corner - photocell or dimming bus.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 9:58am
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

... I will try again with the engine running, and if I don't see 100% at that point, I'll raise a flag.

As an aside, I would suggest you get a ground power unit. Small ones are fairly reasonable in price. Makes playing with the 540 (or anything else) much easier.

* Orest

LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 9:16pm
Just finished a 2.5 hour flight. The IFD540 was flawless and charged my Ipad Air. My Mooney Ovation has a 28v system.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 8:29pm
On my 2 flights today, I found it VERY difficult to remove the USB charging cords from my 540 at the end of the flights.  I was actually afraid either the cord or the USB connection would break.  The cord went in very easily so when it happened the first time, I thought it was a freak occurence but then it happened again on my next flight.  Any thoughts?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 9:56pm
Is this the same cord?

Do you have any other USB cords, or a USB key to try?

* Orest

LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 11:25pm
Make sure you are using an OEM cord for your device. The cheap ones overheat and I've noticed in other applications they are also hard to get out of the usb socket.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 11:36pm
It was an oem Apple cord. It was the same one both times but it fits my computer with no problem. I'll try a different one just to check. It's just strange that it went in so passively.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 7:19am
Just because you can use that port for charging an iPad, are you sure you should?  That port is so important to the proper use (for feeding it data), I would want to protect it from anything other than what its primary purpose is......

Just sayin
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 9:15am
Never heard of these problems before.  I use iPad charging capability (and phone and other device) on virtually every sortie using both OEM and aftermarket cables on multiple IFDs.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Leonard Leonard wrote:

540 will not charge or will the i pad show a charge from the 540.
Are there any settings that we overlooked?

BTW this weekend using the pad with the pilots guide on Ibooks when I went to Remove the usb connector from the 540 to the pad the connection was very very difficult to remove.

Once remove (power off then on)used the update stick to see if the 540 would recognize the connection and all seemed to work fine.

Any suggestions?
Thanks 

Difficult removing of the usb to apple cord was noted in March 2015.

11.5VDC

Bezel lighting and display lighting maximum values are reduced.

Is there any way to lower this to 11.0 or 11.25VDC from 11.5

Edited by Leonard - 07 Sep 2015 at 6:10pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 8:51pm
Where did you find this note about the difficulty of removing the usb from March 2015?  I see nothing about this in the new 10.1 Pilot Guide.  One other question on charging is why does the iPHONE turn itself back on automatically. When charging it today in flight, I shut it off so it would charge quicker.  The phone turned itself back on within 10 secs.  I tried a few times with the same result.  Does the 540 do something to cause this restart of an iPHONE?

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 8:42am
Every iOS device I own boots up when initially connected to a charging source.  You can shut it down while charging and it should stay shut down.

At least that's my experience.
David Gates
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 10:44am
I agree.  I am shutting it down after it is connected to the charging device and it boots back up again within 10 secs.  I then shut it down again, and it boots back up again....
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 7:27pm
Never had a problem with sticky USB connectors.  Will have someone play in lab on Wed to look at the device rebooting (I presume you mean the device plugged into the IFD and not the IFD itself).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 7:31pm
Correct. Not the IFD itself.   It is not possible for me to keep an iPhone off during the charge via the USB as it re-boots back on as soon as I turn it off.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 7:47pm
Do you see the following behavior?  I just turned my iPhone off and then plugged in a charging cable which turned the phone on.   I then manually turned the phone off again and it did not reboot but as soon as I pulled the power cord out, it began to boot back up on it's own again.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 8:54pm
Negative.   Plugged in the charging cable and verified charging.  I then,  manually turned off the phone and it rebooted back on within about 10 secs.  I again turned it off with the same result.  I have been seeing this behavior for a long time (I think even before 10.1) but always just assumed that I really didn't turn the phone off as I thought I did.  Last flight, I watched the entire time as the phone turned off but then rebooted back on as I was watching. I repeated this a few more times with the same result.  This same phone does not exhibit this behavior when charging from a computer or outlet.   Jake, obviously this is not a big deal and certainly Avidyne doesn't need to be concerned about my phone turning itself back on during charging but I was just wondering if anyone else has seen it.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 11:05am
This behavior would occur if there were voltage (or current) fluctuations such that the phone thought power was being removed and/or re-applied.  You could try testing voltage at the USB port with a multimeter, but it's also possible that the problem only occurs when a load is present and current is flowing.
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 5:48pm
Teeth6
Difficulty of removing the ipad charging cable from 540 usb port is the First post in this thread. 
 thought I'd have to get a slap-hammer to get it out.

And I'm with Tony I use that usb port for updating ONLY

Edited by Leonard - 16 Sep 2015 at 5:50pm
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 10:10pm
I haven't had a hard time getting a cord out until this week, an OEM Apple lightning cable. It was difficult and took a few tries. However since then the USB fob is now recognized about 50% of the time. I have to reboot at least once, sometimes more to get it to recognize now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic