Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SIDs and IFD540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SIDs and IFD540
    Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 9:03am
I flew the ELVIS2.EONEE SID out of KMEM on Sunday and noticed a couple things.

1. The IFD540 appears to have the turbojet headings in it.  Is there a way to trigger or enable those of us not burning JetA to get the non-turbojet routes?  Example, look at the heading for the ELVIS2 SID for a 36C departure, it should be 045 not 010 for non-turbojets.

2. I departed runway 27, and while I got the 800' waypoint and the Vectors waypoint, I actually expected a 071 radial waypoint of MEM to EONEE, but that didn't exist.  Is there a reason that wasn't provided here?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 9:15am
Just had a look out of curiosity, and odd, I don't see the initial headings off the runway at all in the simulator, just MEM and then to your transition.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 17 Mar 2015 at 9:16am
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 9:41am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Just had a look out of curiosity, and odd, I don't see the initial headings off the runway at all in the simulator, just MEM and then to your transition.

* Orest

You only get the headings if you put the departure runway in on the KMEM fix.

It works nicely. Load the SID when you get the clearance. Then put the runway in on the KMEM fix when ground gives you a runway for taxi.  You can change the runway and the waypoints and headings change, it's pretty cool.  The simulator seems to be okay just with the ELVIS1 instead of the ELVIS2 as the data's out of date.

You can't fly it with the sim as it requires vectors though.

Edited by roltman - 17 Mar 2015 at 9:43am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 10:37am
Got it.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:19am
Reference issue #1, here's the answer from Jeppesen as to whether we can get the 045 degree heading for non-turbojets. 

"ARINC 424 currently does not make provision for capturing both the turbojet and non-turbojet flight tracks for a given transition as a result we can only capture one. Our coding specifications indicate that in these situations we will capture the turbojet version."

Reference issue #2, 

The ELVIS2 departure from runway 27 has three legs.  The first is a climb on runway heading.  That's not really shown on the chart, but it's driven by rules that Jeppesen has to follow when coding the procedure into the database.  The second leg represents the 271° heading that you see on the chart.  While the initial course shows 271°, in reality the leg is there to represent ATC vectors to intercept the next leg.  The FMS doesn't know when it's going to end, so that's why it says "Manual Termination".  When it's time to proceed to EONEE, you'll have to activate the leg by doing a direct-to and use OBS mode to achieve the 071° radial to the waypoint.  If you just happened to be eastbound over the MEM VOR when you do a direct-to EONEE, you could skip the OBS mode since you would already be close enough to the right course.

As a future enhancement, we'll look at modifying the FMS to represent the actual leg from MEM to EONEE so that you can activate it without having to go direct-to EONEE.  That would eliminate the need for you to use OBS mode and a coupled autopilot would smoothly capture the radial outbound.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 9:42am
Well, ARINC 424 rev18, the last rev I have at my fingers, does have a provision (sec 5.221) for aircraft type; however it is currently only used for preferred routes. 
There appears to still be some spare columns on the SID/STAR/Approach Primary Records which could allow for this feature to be incorporated.

Steve, as for flying this SID, the OBS setting was the only thing I could think of too; however, how about putting HDG mode back in the box?  That'd facilitate this scenario, allowing one to program MEM -> EONEE on the ground, and then use the HDG to transition to that leg via ATC vectors.

Just out of curiosity, what rev of A424 does the IFD540 support and how do future A424 updates get into the IFD540?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic