Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post-install troubleshooting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardinal driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post-install troubleshooting
    Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 5:01pm
I just completed a major panel upgrade that included the IFD540, AXP340, and AMX240.   I managed to get the airplane from the shop to home base just in time for annual.

I identified some problems on this first flight:

1) The DG did not spin up; later in the flight it appeared to recover.

2) There was no response from the autopilot (a Cessna 300A single-axis) to either NAV1 (IFD540) or Nav 2 (Narco 12D) inputs.  The A/P did respond to the DG heading bug once that unit was operational.   We tuned in a valid VOR signal on both Nav radios, but the AP did not respond.

I suspect 1) may be due to some bumped vacuum plumbing during the install.  I did a visual check and saw nothing obvious, but wasn't able to do another flight test.

I confirmed in the hangar that the A/P responds to the heading bug, but could get no response from either NAV input.  In the stock panel, I could select 'backcourse" and the CDI indicator would light if I tuned a localizer frequency.  No more.

Any ideas on what I can do to troubleshoot these issues while the plane is in for annual?  I can ferry it back to the avionics shop, but if this is a simple problem perhaps I can save everyone some time.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 7:33pm
Sounds like you need to reschedule time in the shop for them to finish the job they started.  I'm no troubleshooting pro, but it sounds like you have multiple problems in different systems, not one quick thing to reconnect.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 7:56pm
Concur you need to go back to the avionics shop and make them fix it.  You might be asking for a voided warranty if you have someone else come along and touch what the avionics shop worked on.

It sounds like you had some schedule pressure from an expiring annual, but ideally the avionics shop should have taken a test flight with you to confirm all systems were operating as expected.  After annual's complete, sounds like you need to go back and do that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic