Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post-Install Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post-Install Questions
    Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 9:39pm
Friends:  I recently had my IFD540 installed and really enjoy flying with the unit.  However, I have some questions about operating the IFD540 that I haven't been able to answer by myself.  Please forgive me if these have obvious answers!

1. Superfluous Waypoints on Airway:  When I load an airway into my flight plan, a number of waypoints along the airway are also loaded.  Is there any way to direct the IFD540 to load only those waypoints at which the airway bends?
  2. No Winds Aloft Display:  My IFD540 is connected to my Aspen EFD1000 Pro, which contains an internal airdata computer that calculates and displays the winds aloft.  However, the winds aloft display on my IFD540 is blank.  How can I get the Aspen winds aloft to display on my IFD540?
  3. ETA at Destination:  The ETA at Destination data block is way off, by many hours.  The ETE to Destination is working fine.  This seems like a software bug; has anyone else seen it?
  4. VSR Not Displaying:  The Vertical Speed Required data block is blank, even when I've entered a crossing restriction in my flight plan.  How do I activate the data block?
Many thanks in advance for your advice!

Mike
< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 9:48pm
I dealt with #3 today.  In my case, the installer had not set the GMT offset in the Setup screen (Aux>Setup>Local Time Offset).  Anything that was trying to display in local time (time of powerup / departure, ETA, etc.) was showing in Zulu because the local time offset was still 00:00.

Steve, if you read this:  The box, by definition, knows where it is.  It is possible to code the time zones and local laws regarding daylight savings time, etc.  Can you add a feature candidate to the list for the user to choose to let the IFD automatically determine the local time?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 10:06pm
1.  You can have your fltplan show in either compact or expanded mode.  The compact does not show the waypoints unless there is a bend, however,  ALL waypoints show on the active leg I believe.  One of the LSK keys on the left side will toggle between compact and expanded on the FPL tab.

3. I agree that your time zone is probably not correctly entered in the setup

4. VSR will not display unless you have a Baro input until the release of 10.1 in the spring when that function will work off of the GPS altitude
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 8:08am
1.  Teeth6 is correct.  The left side LSK gives you Compact and Expanded options.   Compact hides everything between the airway entry and exit (both of those end points are displayed).  Compact also hides intermediate legs of published departures, arrivals and approaches but the active procedure is always expanded. Check out page 2-5 of the Pilot Guide.

2.  Not sure exactly what you are looking for here.  Are you talking about the Wx Overlay button on the map (see page 3-16 of the pilot guide) and the ability to show wind vector barbs on the map or are you  talking about using the air data calculator (see page 4-9 of the pilot guide) to compute winds at a given point or are you talking about the Wind Vector datablock option (see page 4-26 of the pilot guide)?  The first will not work without a GDL-69 or MLB700 datalink device but the second will work.  Depending on the nature of the Aspen integration, some fields on air data calculator will pre-populate with green data if it's talking to the Aspen. If it were the wind vector datablock, see that little note in the box on page 4-26 that says you need baro input.  If that wind vector datablock is dashed, you are not getting baro from the Aspen and that implies you don't have an Aspen ACU of the right flavor pumping that data out.  I do plan on adding a table in the Release 10.1 Installation Manual that shows what data comes from Aspen depending on the flavor of Aspen gear.

3.  The guys above are all correct.  See the bottom of page 4-35 of the pilot guide for how to set in the local time offset.

4.  Teeth6 is correct again.

As for MysticCobra's time question, we do have it as a candidate in the future feature database but it hasn't bubbled up high enough in the priority queue yet.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 9:17am
  1. Superfluous Waypoints on Airway:  When I load an airway into my flight plan, a number of waypoints along the airway are also loaded.  Is there any way to direct the IFD540 to load only those waypoints at which the airway bends?
GM

The other comments above aside, do note that sometimes you get intermediate clearances to those "superfluous" waypoints! It is good to have them available.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 22 Feb 2015 at 4:47pm
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 11:23am
Quote 2.  Not sure exactly what you are looking for here.  Are you talking about the Wx Overlay button on the map (see page 3-16 of the pilot guide) and the ability to show wind vector barbs on the map or are you  talking about using the air data calculator (see page 4-9 of the pilot guide) to compute winds at a given point or are you talking about the Wind Vector datablock option (see page 4-26 of the pilot guide)?  The first will not work without a GDL-69 or MLB700 datalink device but the second will work.  Depending on the nature of the Aspen integration, some fields on air data calculator will pre-populate with green data if it's talking to the Aspen. If it were the wind vector datablock, see that little note in the box on page 4-26 that says you need baro input.  If that wind vector datablock is dashed, you are not getting baro from the Aspen and that implies you don't have an Aspen ACU of the right flavor pumping that data out.  I do plan on adding a table in the Release 10.1 Installation Manual that shows what data comes from Aspen depending on the flavor of Aspen gear.

Steve:  It's the Wind Vector datablock option that I'm wondering about.  Since the Aspen calculates the Wind Vector, I thought that it would automatically display on the IFD540?

Can you say more about the "nature of the Aspen integration"?  The Wind Vector datablock on my IFD540 is currently dashed, so it must not be getting the necessary input from the Aspen.  What do I need to make this happen?  Another box from Aspen or perhaps a software update for the Aspen EFD 1000 Pro?  Or is it possible to manually enter the necessary barometric information in the Air Data calculator?

Thanks, Mike

< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">

Edited by GMSutton - 22 Feb 2015 at 11:30am
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 12:02pm
Mike,
Maybe this thread will shed some light on the subject for you.

http://www.avidynelive.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=381

Edited by roltman - 22 Feb 2015 at 12:02pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 1:34pm
But before one decides to spring for an Aspen ACU2, consider the revisions Jake posted for 10.1.0.0,
including VSR and wind vector not requiring baro alt.

Edited by ddgates - 22 Feb 2015 at 1:34pm
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 3:37pm
I will publish a table on Monday with the various Aspen configurations.  I'll try to also include some notes if some of it becomes a Don't Care like what David mentioned above when Rel 10.1 comes out.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

I will publish a table on Monday with the various Aspen configurations.  I'll try to also include some notes if some of it becomes a Don't Care like what David mentioned above when Rel 10.1 comes out.

Would be very helpful.  

It seems like 10.1.0.0 will make an ACU2 irrelevant where an ACU1 is already present, but maybe I am missing something.

Thanks.

David
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 4:46pm
Operationally BARO ALT is still a bit more accurate than GPS ALT, but with 10.1 I doubt that many folks would want to spend the $2k for an ACU2.

But, the ACU2 solved another problem for us, in my install, so I'm glad I have it.

* Orest

Jack Seubert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 5:05pm
Orest,
OK I'll bite, what was the other problem solved by the ACU2?

Jack
Jack Seubert
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Jack Seubert Jack Seubert wrote:

Orest,
OK I'll bite, what was the other problem solved by the ACU2?

Jack

I had to do with the JPI 830, and getting it and the ASPEN properly talking to the 540 (and 430W before it), with full interchange of fuel flow and locations and allowing computation of fuel remaining at destination by the 830. It relates to the limitation in the GNS (and IFD) that you can only have one airdata input on the RS232 and the config settings in the 830. But the ACU2 allowed us to use 429 instead, or something like that. I can query the avionics guys and refresh my memory if you share a similar config and wish the details.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 22 Feb 2015 at 5:35pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 5:50pm
Orest:

Can you develop further information on that topic?  I have dual IFDs, a JPI 700, and an AXP 340.

The shop can't get the JPI to talk to the 540 in terms of fuel flow, etc.

Maybe your issue was same as what I have now?

Thanks

David
David Gates
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 7:02pm
David the JPI700 talks to the IFD540 using the Shadin-fadc.  Mine is setup that way and it works just fine from the 700 to the ifd540.  I didn't wire the reverse direction as it was unnecessary.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

David the JPI700 talks to the IFD540 using the Shadin-fadc.  Mine is setup that way and it works just fine from the 700 to the ifd540.  I didn't wire the reverse direction as it was unnecessary.

Geoff:
Are you sure?  The IM says for the JPI 700:

Shadin-Fuel

Not Shadin-fadc.  

It doesn't work at least for me.

David 

David Gates
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 8:12pm
  My IFD540 RS-232 is set up :

CHNL 1    Aviation (to JPI 700)-       Shadin-fuel ( from JPI-700)

Works fine

Ed

Ed
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 8:18pm
David, my mistake, I have a JPI700, but also a SF450 which is connected to the IFD540.  I'm not sure if they use the same protocol or not without checking.
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 2:00am
Quote The shop can't get the JPI to talk to the 540 in terms of fuel flow, etc.

My IFD540 seems to be communicating well with my JPI EDM-930.  At least the 540's fuel data calculator is populated with the correct and accurate information, which must be coming from the EDM-930.

Mike
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Orest:

Can you develop further information on that topic?  I have dual IFDs, a JPI 700, and an AXP 340 ...

Doesn't apply to a 700. The setup issue is particular to the 830.

To obtain and display the fuel at destination (and simultaneously transmit fuel flow to the GPS), for the 830, the 540 (or GNS) needs to be set to airdata on the 232 inbound. The 540 (and GNS) can only have one airdata input on 232, and as I have an ASPEN, that is needed for it.

The original ACU cannot send airdata on 429. An ACU2 can. A 540 (or GNS) can accept airdata on 232, but also multiple airdata inputs on 429. That solved our issue. Of course the ACU2 also provides BARO ALT.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 24 Feb 2015 at 9:21pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 6:41pm
I ask because I am getting an 830 next week.

Thanks

David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

I ask because I am getting an 830 next week.

Thanks

Ah, congrats! You'll love it.

* Orest

roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:01pm
Grabbing my plane tomorrow if Wx holds. Went from one IFD540 to two IFD540s, AXP340, and 2nd hand MLB700 ($405 on eBay). It's ready for the MLB100, then I'm done with avionics for awhile.

Removed my 430w, gtx330 and Aera510.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:50am
Orest:

I looked at the 830 manual. Uses same comm protocols as the 700 or so it says.

Can't see how it uses any air data?

David
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 9:58am
It goes something like this.

There are some eight different formats you can specify in the 830 for communication. Each will require a certain protocol in the 540. (or any other GPS/COM you are using)

If you want to have available distance to destination in the 830 for in-830 calcs, then you have to use number 7 IIRC. Doing so, requires using the airdata setting in the 540 on the RS232 line communicating with the 830. The 830 is getting airdata, but it also sends temperature and fuel flow in this setup.

If you don't care about that in the in-830 calcs (or having temp from the 830, in the 540), then it simplifies things, and you could use a number of the other formats, and use Shadin in the 540, which would free up the 232 input for airdata from somewhere else, like an ASPEN.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 25 Feb 2015 at 10:07am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic