Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - An approach, what should I expect ? And a few ????
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

An approach, what should I expect ? And a few ????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An approach, what should I expect ? And a few ????
    Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 3:00pm
I have searched and have played on the simulator.
First flight with the 540 replacing my 530. Flying (short flight) from 9A5 to KDNN, select the approach to 32, select ONUTE as the IAF, activate approach. Is the datablock (on map page) my only directions ? I believe it was in GPS mode.
Being used to the 530, I expected turn by turn "pop-ups" and "Next" pop-ups.  I was staying on the FMS page with the map open....I do see now on the sim that the datablock on the map page gives directions. Is that it ?
It just doesn't seem right since I could change that datablock and never see turn by turn.

On the sim, I had to select chart etc......I thought after I put an approach in the 540 it would be on the charts for the approach airport ? I had to change from departure airport charts to approach charts.

Another question: On the simulator, touch a point on the screen and heading and distance pop up temporarily. I am seeing these randomly in the air., in the airplane. What are they ?

I have tons of questions but I'll work through them.....the ones that bother me are the ones that could kill me.
Thanks, Tony
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 3:07pm
No waypoint crossing altitude on the map/data during an approach (I don't see a datablock option for this)
No Enable Missed on the map page.

Why (if I'm doing it correct) would I have to be changing pages during an approach to see this information ?
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 10:05am
For your last two questions, I think you need to be in the MAP-FPL split page (pilot guide p. 2-23).
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Bad1996 Bad1996 wrote:

No waypoint crossing altitude on the map/data during an approach (I don't see a datablock option for this)

Why (if I'm doing it correct) would I have to be changing pages during an approach to see this information ?

You would normally see the the next crossing altitude restriction on the map page or on the map part of the FMS page.

Avidyne is going to amend the Enable Missed procedure to address this issue, believe that will be in 10.1 in April-ish.

You should see "turn coming up" notations in a CAS (crew alerting system) alert, a cyan background box, bottom right of the screen.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 17 Feb 2015 at 2:37pm
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 4:28pm
Mr. Ring told me about the CAS and yes, flying the sim today I got to see it. I can't say I am a fan of it compared to the 530 but change is hard for me :-) Up in the top corner would be nice for very important alerts. One approach in the air and several on the sim and I never saw it :-o  With the sim it's constantly giving some kind of alert so that could be the issue there. It looks like nine seconds of "turn coming" and only one second of "turn now" on the sim. Not sure if the "turn now" will stay longer if you are not in the turn.  Thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

You would normally see the the next crossing altitude restriction on the map page or on the map part of the FMS page.

Avidyne is going to amend the Enable Missed procedure to address this issue, believe that will be in 10.1 in April-ish.

You should see "turn coming up" notations in a CAS (crew alerting system) alert, a cyan background box, bottom right of the screen.

* Orest

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 5:37pm
There is a formula for how many seconds the CAS alert will show.  I've seen as much as about 30 to as little as about 10.

Change is hard, and the IFD540 does not try to emulate a 430/530 with a better user interface, it is a completely new way of doing things.  This catches people out because they expect since it is plug and play it carries with it the old procedures of doing things.  This is not the case here.  Once you get it, you will find it much easier and will begin to enjoy yourself.
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 11:02am
I agree. Maybe without giving it thought: "plug and play" I was expecting the same. If the same, why upgrade. I'll start with a different mental attitude :-)

Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 12:39am
Today headed to the shop to get the new update installed, I or the box had an issue. No problem after the install but I'm curious as to what happened...or actually "why" it happened. If I did something wrong or was it the 540. Flight from KDNN to 9a5, about over 9a5 I decided to fly the approach to rwy2 at 9a5. So that puts me near the airport flying outbound, teardrop, inbound.
The first thing I noticed was that when selecting the IAF for the approach (3 choices) it would not show the "drawn out" approaches on the map as I selected each...or if it did, I could not see them because it was not zoomed in and I could not zoom it in. I tried the knob and I tried two fingers on the screen, it would not zoom.
NEXT:
I had direct from KDNN to 9a5 then at 9a5 I selected the approach to rwy2 with letbe as the IAF, by the time I turned to the dtk heading per the 540 I had flown past that point where it chose the heading, let's say 1/2 mile past that point and then I turned to that heading. So, I'm flying the heading that the 540 tells me (parallel the magenta line) and I expect it to steer me via dtk to the IAF. It never steered me that way, it stayed steady on the first heading (as I am parallel) that it gave until I was adjacent to the IAF. The closer I got, the harder it should have been turning me in to the IAF, or so I expected. When adjacent the IAF it told me to turn to 22 degrees. Even where I was at I was expecting the heading to fly the teardrop, somewhere around 160. Flying the sim now, I see when crossing the IAF it does show a turn to 22 degrees/inbound course. I guess you are left to figure out the teardrop yourself.

My questions:
1. Why was it not zooming when selecting the IAF from the list. So even if it was displaying each approach option on the map I could not tell.
2. When flying parallel to the magenta course, why did it treat me like I was on the line instead of changing dtk to take me to the IAF ?
3. Is it correct that it would give the inbound course dtk when crossing the IAF even if opposite direction and some kind of teardrop has to be made ? Is this the way the other boxes handle it ?
4. If I had GPSS (and I may in a few weeks) how would it have handled the teardrop....by following the magenta line or would it just have taken the "turn to" 22 degrees and started turning ?

After the update flying back to KDNN I flew a GPS approach (no teardrop) and everything work perfect. I thought that maybe in the first episode it could have been because the obs on the hsi was not set correctly. I didn't think the obs setting would have anything to do with it and on the approach home It seemed that the obs setting didn't effect anything other than it would alert me to turn it to the correct heading.
I have tried duplicating it on the sim twice. The first time it locked up, the second time I couldn't control the heading in VLOC so that I could direct the course.

I do have video of this at and right before the heading change at the IAF.

Edited by Bad1996 - 21 Feb 2015 at 12:58am
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 7:04am
1) I would check again.  When you press the PROC button it goes into FPL+ mode, rezooms and displays the procedure on the MAP.  Once you select the procedure, it asks for the IAF.  As you select the IAF, the MAP displays the IAF transition to the approach.  The behavior you describe is not the behavior I have experienced on any of the IFDs or Software versions in my aircraft.

2) At the point you select "Activate Approach" the IFD will draw a magenta line from your present position to the IAF and provide you a DTK and CAS message (I think).  If you fly off route ie 1/2 mile past your point of activating the approach, the IFD (nor Garmin, nor King) will not provide course guidance to get back on the DTK, on the magenta line.  That is what your HSI or CDI is for.  It tells you how far from the course you are and in what direction you need to turn to get back on course.  You still need to fly the airplane.  You don't say if you were on the autopilot or not, or which mode the autopilot was in.  If you were in NAV or APPR mode, and the Autopilot can handle being so far off course, then it should have turned automatically to intercept the course once you turned the course pointer to the DTK heading.  An STEC likely will establish a 45 degree intercept angle, a King KFC200 would likely have to be put into heading mode with APPR or NAV mode armed with a Pilot defined heading intercept angle in order to intercept the magenta line.  GPSS would be an entirely different discussion.

If by mistake you flew 1/2 mile past your present position, just hit Direct To the IAF again to provide you the new track to fly.  You still need to turn the airplane either via the autopilot (heading or NAV or APPR) or manually with the flight controls.

3) When you selected the LETBE IAF and activated the approach, the IFD automatically put in the procedure turn at LETBE.  So, you are now flying from 9A5 direct to LETBE which is the IAF.  The IFD will determine the proper procedure turn, either teardrop or parallel entry in your example (not sure exactly where you are relative to the IAF).  The IFD will provide a CAS message saying procedure turn teardrop or parallel and give you the DTK for the inbound course, but will not with this software release tell you the DTK to turn to once you cross the IAF and begin the procedure turn.  This is one of the "unGarminlike" things with the IFD.  You need to do the math or zoom in and fly the magenta line.  The process is the the same as the "other boxes", the messaging and track info is slightly different.

4)  If you had GPSS, you can rotate your HSI or CDI or ASPEN in any direction and point to any heading you want and it doesn't make a difference.  The GPSS will direct the autopilot via GPS course, not some course deviation against a heading supplied by the HSI or CDI.  The GPSS will direct the autopilot using course information from the IFD and will fly exactly on the magenta line the entire flightpath from present position, through IAF, through procedure turn, through the approach to the runway.  You will only need to configure the throttle, prop, gear and flaps to control the vertical descent as required.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Gring - 21 Feb 2015 at 7:20am
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 9:01am
Thank you for your help and reply. Obviously I'm not the sharpest tack in the drawer on this :-) Realize that my typical approach was via the 396 and heading bug. The 530 was ballast for me but did make me legal. I don't plan on the 540 being unused and lonely !

1. It did this correctly after the update. I should have tried it on the ground before updating. I'm not sure how I could have messed up. The approach DID load and I know I was scrolling thru the transitions. Maybe a one time glitch. All seems well at least on my one approach.

2. I was on the autopilot. KFC150 on heading mode, flying the heading bug. Not knowing what the 530 would do in that case I'll have to plead ignorance but I will find out. That makes no sense, I would expect it to give me current heading to the IAF. After all, I have not started the approach. Before the IAF it should act like the IAF was a direct to....giving me dtk from any point to the IAF. BUT, as of yet Avidyne nor Garmin or King have asked my input LOL. I take away from this, be ready to make the turn ! I never really have used nav mode on the autopilot, maybe that's where I should have been. It just doesn't work well following VORs so I never bothered.

3 and 4. So no "useable" heading after crossing the IAF outbound. Hopefully that will change. But I did take from your reply that if on GPSS it would still track the magenta line. That must mean that on any hold its not giving guidance ? If so, what good is that ? And really that same question applies to my scenario.

Edited by Bad1996 - 21 Feb 2015 at 9:04am
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 9:06am

Thank you for your help and reply. Obviously I'm not the sharpest tack in the drawer on this :-) Realize that my typical approach was via the 396 and heading bug. The 530 was ballast for me but did make me legal. I don't plan on the 540 being unused and lonely !

1. It did this correctly after the update. I should have tried it on the ground before updating. I'm not sure how I could have messed up. The approach DID load and I know I was scrolling thru the transitions. Maybe a one time glitch. All seems well at least on my one approach.

2. I was on the autopilot. KFC150 on heading mode, flying the heading bug. Not knowing what the 530 would do in that case I'll have to plead ignorance but I will find out. That makes no sense, I would expect it to give me current heading to the IAF. After all, I have not started the approach. Before the IAF it should act like the IAF was a direct to....giving me dtk from any point to the IAF. BUT, as of yet Avidyne nor Garmin or King have asked my input LOL. I take away from this, be ready to make the turn ! I never really have used nav mode on the autopilot, maybe that's where I should have been. It just doesn't work well following VORs so I never bothered. I did know what was happening but purposely flew the heading from the 540 to see if it ever turned me.

3 and 4. So no "useable" heading after crossing the IAF outbound. Hopefully that will change. But I did take from your reply that if on GPSS it would still track the magenta line. That must mean that on any hold its not giving guidance ? If so, what good is that ? And really that same question applies to my scenario.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 10:44am
1) It works, really it does.
2) So the KFC150 works much the same as a KFC200.  You should learn to use the Nav and Appr modes on the autopilot.  When in heading mode, the autopilot will only fly that heading, it doesn't matter what's in the GPS, it doesn't care.  Do you have an HSI?

3) I don't really understand your last question.  When in GPSS mode, the autopilot will fly the magenta line including procedure turns, holds, and approaches.  That is one of the benefits of GPSS, it can follow curved paths.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic