Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic bogey position error?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traffic bogey position error?
    Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 10:39am
Not sure if this is an artifact of the simulation environment, but since the sim is running flight software, I thought I'd ask.

While playing with the sim, I was practicing a missed approach that would require a 180 course reversal shortly after going missed.  Prior to initiating the turn, the sim was showing a traffic target on the 5nm dashed ring at my ownship's 3 o'clock position (straight out the stbd wing).

As my plane entered the 180deg course reversal and began to climb, and throughout the entire turn and climb, the traffic bogey was consistently updated to show its position and altitude delta unchanged at my 3 o'clock position, such that at the end of the course reversal the bogey had swung a 180deg arc 10nm in diameter and was located on the opposite side of the airport from when I started.  (In other words, its relative position and altitude wrt me remained completely unchanged throughout the 180deg turn.)

As soon as my plane rolled out on course after completing the 180deg turn, the traffic bogey disappeared off my right wing and appeared off my 6 o'clock position at a different altitude, then soon after disappeared from the screen.  (I assume it was the same bogey...I really don't know for sure.)

So:  Is there some bug in the IFD flight software that incorrectly paints traffic targets while the ownship is maneuvering, and only correctly paints the bogeys in quasi-steady flight?  Or is there some other sim-unique explanation for what I observed?
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 11:04am
The traffic in the sim seems to swarm and chase your position and seems totally unrealistic.  I assume they have some crude algorithms in there to try to have traffic always in the vicinity flying around.  This is just where they place the targets and I believe is totally unrelated to the flight software of displaying the aircraft.  If sim is telling the flight software that an airplane is doing something bogus, the flight software will display that bogus data.  Just my guess.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 11:54am
Yes, I can think of several ways this would be sim-unique too.  Would just like some confirmation that's the case.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 12:09pm
My Traffic system works correctly with both IFD 540s
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 1:08pm
No issues with my TAS on the 540 or ASPEN. Works like a charm.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 1:17pm
It's just a sim artifact. Traffic works fine with the flight boxes.

The sim was just a development tool that we made available for folks to download and use if they wanted.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 5:10pm
Quote The sim was just a development tool that we made available for folks to download and use if they wanted.

The simulator is now an important marketing and education tool.  People are downloading it and using it to help decide whether to buy an IFD 540 or a Garmin.  And they are writing about it in other forums.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 5:38pm
I think once you have a good look at both, it is a slam dunk easy choice, the IFD all the way. About the only reason not to, is if you are hog-tied with other *armin stuff, even then usually easy to trade-in, trade-up.

I would now be really ticked off and disappointed, if I had gone the GTN route.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Feb 2015 at 5:40pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

It's just a sim artifact. Traffic works fine with the flight boxes.

Okay, thanks.

Quote The sim was just a development tool that we made available for folks to download and use if they wanted.
I know there were multiple components to the overall sim package, some of which can be called non-flight-like or "development quality" (like perhaps the component that generates the simulated traffic targets)...

...but it's also been stated on this forum that "the sim runs the same code as the flight units", so some of the components are flight-like, and when the overall sim does something unexpected/undesireable, it's reasonable for folks to wonder which bit is at fault.

Edited by MysticCobra - 15 Feb 2015 at 6:43pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 4:28pm
Understandable.   By way of clarification, yes the flight code running in the sim is the same code as in the certified units in your airplanes.   The development tools part of this are the inputs that emulate external sensors.  So in this case, the simulator that is supplying the traffic data input is not flight code - it is a separate internal simulator that is spitting out traffic threat blips.  The flight code is responding exactly correctly to the input it's getting from the "external sensor".  It's the external sensor emulation that is supplying less than pure data for the IFD to accept and do something with. 
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic