Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Errors Loading Data Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 9:19pm
It is very interesting this FOB corruption issue.

I have a FOB that gave errors loading data.  

When I look at the FOB on my Mac - I see three files.

When I look at the same FOB on a win7 box, I see a bunch of files with single character names and write date attributions circa 1980.

I don't know how to send the contents, but could send the FOB physically if that would help.

David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 12:18pm
I think we'd prefer the datalogs from your unit instead.  We can likely tell from them what's going on.  We have a few theories that are getting stronger by the day.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 4:43pm
Today I tried again to update the IFD-540 with a new JSUM download from Jepp.  I had charts, navdata and obstacle data on the thumb drive The charts loaded normally but as soon as the navdata went active, the bar graph immediately showed 100% and the IFD-540 hung.  I power cycled after about 5 minutes and the box came up normally with the current charts and navdata but expired obstacle data.  I checked the thumbdrive on my computer and everything had been erased.  There wasn't a single file on it.  I will try to get Jepp to give me a new obstacle data load and see if just loading that (without charts or navdata) works.  Despite all the problems with loading data, my unit appears to work normally otherwise.

Flysrv10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flysrv10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 10:55pm
I have a related but different issue. The navdata uploaded to about 86% and it rebooted. After reboot, my touch screen will not function. I have turned the unit on/off and uploaded last month's navdata and updated the unit, still same result. I have emailed a log and event file.
Flysrv10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flysrv10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 11:29pm
Just solved the issue. The touch screen option was turned off after the upload. I did not change the setting. Go figure!
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 11:49pm
well tried to up date from jepp with out formatting the stick   every thing looked ok after the download went to install on the 540 and only the charts transferred  other information  would keep the 540 cycling.

looked at info on the stick once back on my cpu and all the files that are on it are dated 1980's with all kinds of strange characterizes as file names   APP. 31 files each   AND yes avidynes supplied stick

Seems the 540 is inserting this on the stick.
Will need to call Jepp tomorrow to get another copy

Very frustrating

Have not flown my my aircraft MVFR or lower because I don't trust the unit.
And the reason I haven't requested to receive my second unit for installation

Where are we at at correcting this problem?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Leonard Leonard wrote:

well tried to up date from jepp with out formatting the stick   every thing looked ok after the download went to install on the 540 and only the charts transferred  other information  would keep the 540 cycling.

looked at info on the stick once back on my cpu and all the files that are on it are dated 1980's with all kinds of strange characterizes as file names   APP. 31 files each   AND yes avidynes supplied stick

Very frustrating

Hey Leonard, we believe this issue will be corrected with the 10.1 software release.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:51am
 Big Dollar Question?????  
 How is the FAA coming with that?
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:04am
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Originally posted by Leonard Leonard wrote:

Very frustrating

Hey Leonard, we believe this issue will be corrected with the 10.1 software release.

Can't Happen fast enough!! 
Gave me the same error this second time. With the USB populated with the same type of files dating back to 1980..    Will try a  different USB flash drive
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 4:42pm
Is anyone still having a database upload fail experience when using an IFD loaded with Release 10.1.0.0?

From our perspective, all reports of this experience have dried up with the release of 10.1.0.0.   Does anyone have any information to the contrary?   Very interested to hear.

Edited by AviJake - 22 Jul 2015 at 4:42pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 7:59am
Still no reports that I'm aware for this issue with units loaded with 10.1.0.0.

We think we resolved this with 10.1.0.0 but still very interested to hear if any 10.1 box is having database update issues still. 
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 8:46am
Still not a single report of this issue with 10.1.0.0.

We'd like to declare victory with this issue unless someone has an information or experience to the contrary.

Anyone?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Mooney_Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooney_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 5:24pm
Steve,

For the first time in many months, I tried to update the CHARTS.DSF file without formatting the Avidyne supplied stick.  540 updated okay, but when I tried to update the 440 it just did "Querying USB drive . . . .", then rebooted into a loop.  Gave up and brought the stick home and Windows 8.1 shows it has the mess of garbage files with the 1980 date, just like before.  Both the 440/540 have version 10.1 installed.  Below is a screen shot of the stick contents.

As an aside, for the first time , the "GPS Dead Reckoning" hit me on the 540 for about 30 seconds right after takeoff today, but the 440 was okay.  I just installed the 440 last week, but don't know if that would cause the problem.  440 is working fine in all respects.

540 SN: M150644868
440 SN: M153572038

Let me know what files you need and I'll upload them to a cloud account for your access.

Dave
Mooney_Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooney_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 5:26pm
Steve,

Sorry, the screen shot didn't end up in my previous post.  I can PM it to you or post it on a cloud site.

Dave
Dave
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 6:11pm
I got my #2 IFD back from Avidyne on an RMA where they did the 10.1.0.0 update the hardware mods, and now it's guaranteed to happen 100% of the time after a chart update.  Sometimes that unit will reboot into the infinite loop prior to finishing which takes you back to square one.  The reboot into infinite loop is a new feature since the RMA.

Lately, I've just kept extra copies of the USB stick data and reformat the stick, recopy the files and try again.

I was hoping it was the MLB100 which corrupts the pressure altitude from the encoder on the IFD when it's negative so today I tried it with the MLB100 turned off. For me the MLB100 install coincided with the RMA and my MLB100 only feeds #2.  No luck, while the update completed on the first try it still mess up the USB stick.

FWIW #1 is rock solid with respect to updates.
klelpers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klelpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 8:42pm
I am getting load errors on my 440.  The 540 loads fine, but I get errors as shown on the the 440.
billan07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billan07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Mooney_Dave Mooney_Dave wrote:

Steve,

For the first time in many months, I tried to update the CHARTS.DSF file without formatting the Avidyne supplied stick.  540 updated okay, but when I tried to update the 440 it just did "Querying USB drive . . . .", then rebooted into a loop.  Gave up and brought the stick home and Windows 8.1 shows it has the mess of garbage files with the 1980 date, just like before.  Both the 440/540 have version 10.1 installed.  Below is a screen shot of the stick contents.

I have seen this same error on both of my 540s for the last two software updates.  Both have 10.1 installed.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:07pm

Had same problem months ago; not sure, but either the data download process onto the fob corrupts the fob, or the loading process does.

Has happened enough with same reports from different operators that it is indicative of some sort of process problem.

Have to reformat the fob to get the junk files off.

David

David Gates
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Still no reports that I'm aware for this issue with units loaded with 10.1.0.0.

We think we resolved this with 10.1.0.0 but still very interested to hear if any 10.1 box is having database update issues still. 

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Is anyone still having a database upload fail experience when using an IFD loaded with Release 10.1.0.0?

From our perspective, all reports of this experience have dried up with the release of 10.1.0.0.   Does anyone have any information to the contrary?   Very interested to hear.

I had this happen today on 10.1.0.0.

I used JDM to download the charts, nav data, etc. to my Avidyne branded USB stick as I have many time. No issues.

Went out to the plane to update, plugged in the stick, powered on the 540, and started the update process.  While it was doing that I popped the cowling to adjust airflow to the oil cooler (cold weather flying) and put it back on. When I popped my head back in the cockpit, the 540 was in a reboot loop and I wasn't sure what to do. I powered it off, pulled the stick, and powered it back up. Once I hit "enter" it reboots after 10-15 seconds every time.

I closed the hangar (no IFR currency approaches for me today, I guess) and brought the stick home. Plugged it into the same laptop I used (and always use) for the download and saw some garbage files. I'm now reformatting it (not quick) and will re-download updates and try again. This time I'm taking the laptop to the hangar as well.

*sigh*

As you can see from the picture I took (just before another auto-reboot) this unit is on 10.1.0.0.

Jeremy

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 3:07pm
That is a real nuisance.

But, why still on 10.1.0? That may have been a factor -- the .x updates are quick and easy and strongly recommended by tech support.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 29 Jan 2017 at 3:11pm
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

That is a real nuisance.

But, why still on 10.1.0? That may have been a factor -- the .x updates are quick and easy and strongly recommended by tech support.

* Orest

I'll admit I've been lazy and enjoying the fact that it "just works" after my original installation nightmare and subsequent troubleshooting. I haven't felt too compelled to visit the avionics shop and get upgrade done.

But now I have a feeling that I'll need to do that or get the unit pulled and swapped or something.

I went back to the plane today and loaded the "newer" NavData (the one that takes effect in a few days) and was really excited when that seemed to go well. Sadly, after that the 540 is still in its "reboot" loop. The only thing that appears to stop it is the presence of a USB stick it can do something with.

Jeremy
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 7:26am
Looks like you will have to give Tech support a call, either way.

* Orest

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 9:04am
Contact tech support (888-723-7592) or techsupp@avidyne.com. They will be more than happy to assist.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Contact tech support (888-723-7592) or techsupp@avidyne.com. They will be more than happy to assist.

Yup. That ball is rolling.

Thanks,

Jeremy
doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 6:43pm
Just had this problem today on my 540.  Interestingly, the navdata loaded just fine on my 550, but when I try to load it on the 540 it gets to 66% and then craps out.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic