Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Errors Loading Data Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Errors Loading Data Updates
    Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 12:43am
Friends:  I need your help!  My avionics shop just installed my new IFD540 today.  It looks great, but I found that I couldn’t install any database updates.  I had to fly home with no databases installed.  Fortunately it was good VFR and I still have my Garmin 430W in the panel.

When trying to update my Nav data, I get the message:  Error Detected "Copying Nav Database Image"

When trying to update my obstacle data, I get the message:  Error Detected "Copying Obstacle Files"

When trying to load my Jepp charts, I get the message:  Error Detected "Copying Charts Files"

Steve's Email says he's out until Monday, so perhaps someone here can help?  I hoping there’s an easy explanation for this as I have to fly the airplane on a long trip tomorrow.  I can’t do that without being able to load my navdata, obstacle data, and charts!

What am I doing wrong...?!

Many thanks, Mike
< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">

Edited by GMSutton - 13 Feb 2015 at 12:51am
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 1:30am
Here are the error messages that I'm seeing:

< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 7:03am
You might want to call the actual Tech Support office at Avidyne, rather than posting on this forum...this is mostly just a general communications interface between the company and (potential) customers, not a formal tech support portal.

Quote To contact Technical Support: 888-723-7592 or techsupport@avidyne.com

Edited by MysticCobra - 13 Feb 2015 at 7:06am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 8:24am
Looks like either a bad download, or a bad stick. Definitely call tech support.

* Orest

PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 9:29am
I hope that GMSutton has the download issue resolved by now. 

I will share a different data update issue and its apparent resolution in the hope that it might be useful to someone. After downloading current charts, navdata and obstacle data to the USB FOB, the IFD540 data update proceeded normally until it indicated that the chart database was 99% loaded. At that point, the IFD540 screen went blank and it appeared that the unit rebooted, and came up with a message regarding invalid data (I don't remember the exact wording). Powering the unit off and on again yielded the same error message. I put the FOB back in the computer to view the files, and it appeared to have been corrupted, as the directory listed a large number of files with one character names and a size of 1Kb. I reformatted the USB FOB and called Jeppesen to reset the counter on the downloads. The download to the reformatted FOB and installation of the charts, navdata and obstacle data in the IFD540 then went smoothly.

It seems likely that there was some problem with either the FOB or the original download.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 9:33am
Was that using the Avidyne supplied fob that came with your IFD?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 10:02am
Hi Steve-

Yes, it was using the Avidyne fob, with which we have done several previous successful updates.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 10:12am
Hhmm. That is somewhat bothersome. We tried to abuse the heck out of those things to find this particular vendor part that we thought was very robust. Please keep us posted if this happens again after a successful flush. We can also send a replacement fob out if needed.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 10:32am
Hi Steve-

Thanks for the reply; we will certainly keep you posted if any future issues arise. We did order both an 8 GB and a 16 GB Wintec Filemate USB fob to have on hand as spares. 

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by PA20Pacer PA20Pacer wrote:

I will share a different data update issue and its apparent resolution in the hope that it might be useful to someone. After downloading current charts, navdata and obstacle data to the USB FOB, the IFD540 data update proceeded normally until it indicated that the chart database was 99% loaded. At that point, the IFD540 screen went blank and it appeared that the unit rebooted, and came up with a message regarding invalid data (I don't remember the exact wording). Powering the unit off and on again yielded the same error message. I put the FOB back in the computer to view the files, and it appeared to have been corrupted, as the directory listed a large number of files with one character names and a size of 1Kb. I reformatted the USB FOB and called Jeppesen to reset the counter on the downloads. The download to the reformatted FOB and installation of the charts, navdata and obstacle data in the IFD540 then went smoothly.

It seems likely that there was some problem with either the FOB or the original download.

Regards,

Bob

I had the same issue...yesterday...a bunch of one character file names with creation date 1980..
David Gates
888dom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 888dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 3:05pm
I had the same issue today. Utilizing the Avidyne supplied USB (which has worked several times before). Started the update and it recognized the update files and started normally. I had my head turned doing other things when it failed and started doing odd things.  After I checked the USB in my PC it had lots of 1k files with odd characters next to them and they couldn't be deleted from the USB.  I formatted the drive and contacted Jeppesen for another update and all worked well the second time.  Not sure what was wrong but thought you should know!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 8:31pm
Hhhmm.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 10:23am
OK, I've had the problem occur for me, too, now.  I'm currently sitting in my cockpit on the ramp waiting for the IFD to update, after calling Jepp to get my account reset so I could redownload the data.

I'm repeating what I did two days ago.

I may have one piece of additional info, though.  In my case, when I did the update 2 days ago, it appeared to go fine.  However, after it was complete, I think I left the USB stick in the bezel when the box power cycled, and without thinking I tapped the Aux rocker button toward the "Update" page again.  

Except the Update tab didn't appear; the screen went dark, and the IFD rebooted.

I didn't notice a problem right away, because it was Mar 4, and apparently my old data was still in place.  I flew my route that day, then was grounded for weather until today.  When I powered on the IFD today, it told me my data was out of data (it reported two things had expired on 3/5, but I don't remember now which two they were.)

I pulled my USB fob out and stuck it in my laptop, and saw the jillions of 1KB files in the directory as others have reported.

I reformatted the USB drive, called Jepp to get them to reset my account, redownloaded the data (actually only had to redownload the Nav data; charts and Obs data were still on the hard drive), recopied to the USB fob, and I'm reprogramming the IFD right now.

NOTE:  Two days ago, when I updated the USB fob with the 3/5 files, I looked at the directory before and after the Jepp data download, and it showed the same 4 files that were there from the first time I did an update.  Before the update, they all had the "Date Created" of Feb 15 and "Date Modified" of Feb 15--makes sense; that was my first-ever update.  After the Jepp download, all 4 files now had the "Date Modified" of 3/4/2015, also as expected.

It was while the fob was in the IFD that the directory changed from those 4 reasonable-looking files to the jillions of 1KB files.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 11:26am
Regarding navdata updates ...

If I want to have the navdata on 2 USB sticks so that 2 IFD's can be updated in parallel, is it correct that I should use JDM to program the 1st USB stick and then after exiting JDM just do a normal disk copy from USB 1 to USB 2?

Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Regarding navdata updates ...

If I want to have the navdata on 2 USB sticks so that 2 IFD's can be updated in parallel, is it correct that I should use JDM to program the 1st USB stick and then after exiting JDM just do a normal disk copy from USB 1 to USB 2?

Yes, that is what you have to do. The navdata counter does decrement to 0. The charts counter does not, so that one you can download repeatedly.

* Orest

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 10:16pm
I have not had luck doing a copy paste from USB 1 to USB 2.  I get an error message when installing from USB 2.  I have been calling Jepp Tech support and have them add an extra Nav and Obstacle for each download so I can download onto both FOBs.  Jepp is telling me that is how it is supposed to be done, and they are making changes so the owners with dual 540s will be able to start getting 2 downloads.
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 11:47pm

Regards,

Bob

Had the same problem today after updating 10.0.3.  However my unit wouldn't recognize the FOB and just kept rebooting.
Jepp Rep asked lotsa questions to try and pin down the where the problem occurred, and yes it was with the Avydine stick.

Edited by Leonard - 10 Mar 2015 at 11:54pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Leonard Leonard wrote:

Had the same problem today after updating 10.0.3.  However my unit wouldn't recognize the FOB and just kept rebooting.
Jepp Rep asked lotsa questions to try and pin down the where the problem occurred, and yes it was with the Avydine stick.
I wouldn't say "the problem was with the Avidyne stick".  That makes it sound like using a different thumbdrive might avoid the problem.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I looked at the data on my thumbdrive after downloading my Jepp data from the PC to the USB stick (but before inserting the stick into the IFD), and I saw what looked like good files (they were the same names as and similar in size to the files that were there when I first updated my IFD, which went fine).  

When I inserted the stick into the IFD, it appeared to update normally, but then at the end something happened.  I don't know if it was when the box rebooted while the USB stick was still inserted or something else, but after I pulled the USB stick out of the IFD and looked at it again on the PC, I saw the jillions of 1KB files thing.

Somehow, the IFD update process is failing under certain circumstances, and one effect of the failure mechanism is corruption of the data on the USB stick.  It should be possible to reproduce on a test bench.

Edited by MysticCobra - 11 Mar 2015 at 7:35am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 8:46am
For anyone who is seeing something similar, are you using PCs or Macs?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 9:14am
Hi Steve-

We were using a PC running JSUM when we saw the problem I originally described, where the IFD540 rebooted and the memory stick contained numerous small files with single-character names.  We had a slightly different problem during the last update cycle. In this case, the loading of the update files seemed to freeze after the chart update. When examined after the problem occurred, the files on the memory stick had the expected names and sizes. We were using a 16 GB Wintec Filemate memory stick that had been formatted to FAT32 before using. We reformatted the original 8 GB stick supplied by Avidyne and called Jeppesen to reset the JSUM download counters, and the update seemed to go OK. I am waiting with some trepidation for the next update; I will probably reformat the Avidyne memory stick to erase the previous data and cross my fingers.

Regards,

Bob Siegfried, II
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 10:18am
I was using a PC.  (Windows 7, latest JSUM).

First update (when the USB stick was new and blank) went fine.  

For the second update (USB stick started with the data files from the first update still on it):
JSUM replaced the existing four files on the USB stick (they had slightly different, but comparable, sizes and the "Last Modified" date changed to the day I was performing the update).  After the USB stick was inserted in the IFD and the botched update occurred, I looked at the USB stick on my PC again and it showed jillions of 1KB files.  (I.e., USB stick file listing changed while it was installed in the IFD during the botched update process.)

Reformatting the USB stick, redownloading the data via JSUM, and re-performing the IFD update successfully corrected this issue.

Edited by MysticCobra - 11 Mar 2015 at 10:21am
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 12:41pm

... I am waiting with some trepidation for the next update; I will probably reformat the Avidyne memory stick to erase the previous data and cross my fingers.

Regards,

Bob Siegfried, II

Since the 2015-06 chart data update was available via JSUM today, we went ahead and downloaded it and installed in the IFD540. The process went smoothly with no issues. We reformatted the memory stick supplied by Avidyne prior to the download.

Regards,

Bob 
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 3:16pm
BTW::  Jepp Rep  Recommended that we go back to my hard drive and delete any previous downloads and start from scratch. I explained that I was on my home laptop and the last  data was downloaded from my office CPU. He suggested that before any other updating from my office that I should contact Jepp to walk me through deleting previous downloads that may be on my hard drive.

Using Windows 7 PRO  Will Update the IFD later and respond with results.

TKS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Leonard Leonard wrote:

BTW::  Jepp Rep  Recommended that we go back to my hard drive and delete any previous downloads and start from scratch.

That's a red herring.  When I had my trouble, the Charts and Obstacle data were still present on my hard drive from my previous (botched) update attempt, so I didn't re-download them from Jepp; only the NavData wasn't kept on the hard drive and had to be re-downloaded.  

I then installed all 3 (Charts, NavData, Obstacles) on the USB stick and performed the IFD update and it worked fine.
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 1:25am
Up date when fine.
In previous post I didn't mean that the problem was with the stick, I was saying that I was using the FOB supplied by Avidyne.
LJG
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 9:15pm
I just had the same problem today.  No problems with JDMAPP but ERROR on update in the plane.  After the ERROR the IFD540 hangs on the Avidyne Splash Screen. Multiple reboots and pulled breaker attempts would not budge it.

I have not had time to re-try the data download from scratch but I ran Disk Utility on my Flash Sticks (all of them) and no bad blocks or other problems showed up.  Just the usual 4 files exist on the drive.

I am really surprised that a data download, even a failed one, should brick the IFD.  Steve, let me know what you'd like me to try, or if I should call support instead.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 9:02am
That's not the "same problem", that's something completely different.  No one else has ever reported that an attempt to update data left their IFD unit completely unusable.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 10:42am
Mystic,

The update screen ERROR page pictured in the first post is EXACTLY what I saw.  What followed was a hang that would not recover.  Perhaps not the exact same problem, but the same initial conditions.

So, it's not something "completely different" as Monty Python would state.  It's very similar, and possibly a related problem.

I'm going to reformat a new flash drive, reload the navdata, and try to re-install.  I'll video my results for tech-support.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 11:30pm
2 is the same as 2.

3 is not the same as 2, even though it's got a 2 in it, as in 2+1.

Unable to update your IFD is one thing.  Lots of people have reported that, but they've always been able to continue using the IFD afterward, and ultimately to get a successful update.

Unable to get your IFD past the boot screen after a failed update?  That's a whole different kettle of fish as far as impact to the user goes.  The programmer who fixes it might find some similarity between the two cases, but as a user, I don't much care about that.  What I do care is whether this is unique to you or whether we're all at risk of seeing what you saw.

I don't mind trying an update if there's a chance it might fail and I might have to reformat my USB drive to fix the issue.   I may not want to try an update if there's a chance I could brick my IFD.

Steve?  Got anything more to say about this than, "Hhhmm."?

Edited by MysticCobra - 04 Apr 2015 at 11:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 1:44am
I got the new 8G flash drive formatted (FAT), got Jepp to reset my JDM, and got the data downloaded.  I also did a binary diff of the new data to the prior data.  The binary files did have differences, but they were all in the same spot in one long-word (32 bits) so I suspect it's a checksum or a timestamp and that the data on both sticks is actually fine.

I'm going down tomorrow, early, before Easter stuff consumes my day.  I will report what happens with the update attempt on this thread.  If retrying the update un-bricks the box that's "good", if the update goes well that's "better", if the box remains bricked that's "bad" and I suspect someone is going to want my IFD on their test bench asap.

Regardless, I agree that a failed update should simply revert to prior data, and never hang the device in an unusable state.

One thing I did differently this time:  I started the plane, put in the stick, and turned on the radio-master.  I then taxied to the run-up and started the data update while warming up.  I can't think of any reason that this would have caused a problem as I was not moving during the update and voltage was fine for my 28v system.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 11:07am
The fresh USB stick and data updated fine this time.  I also pulled logs and rebooted a few times to make sure the IFD returned to normal.  All is fine now.  Note:  Plane was in hanger for this update.  Trickle charger on battery with 24.5 volts showing.

This still leaves the nagging question of why an ERROR on a NavData update could cause the IFD to hang at the Avidyne Logo Splash Screen.  I'll try to do further testing of the other USB stick in case that was part of the problem.

Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 5:36pm
It's working, leave it alone until the next update ! :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 12:21am
I won't mess with the box for a month, but I did use f3write/f3read to do some basic testing of the USB stick I used the first time.  It passed 100% so I believe its fine, but I'll retire it from use for the IFD updates.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 8:27am
Glad to hear your situation was recoverable, TogaDriver.  

I think the next time I do an update, I'm going to try deleting all the existing files off the USB before running the Jepp Update tool.  Not sure why it'd be necessary, but so far I think the only folks who've had problems are people who had successfully updated at least once, and then had a problem with a subsequent update.  Maybe there's something about running the Jepp tool with a non-blank USB drive that the IFD540 doesn't like.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 9:36am
We're really stumped by this one right now.   We can't currently conceive of a means by which any kind of data upload attempt can/should hang an IFD boot.

We have another internal brain storming session on this later today and will post any requests/thoughts that result.

Has anybody else experienced this hang start behavior before?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 9:38am
I've probably done more data updates than anyone (x2) and have not had a single issue with the data uploads.  I also am using Sandisk USB sticks bought at Office Depot and have never reformatted them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 12:11pm
Steve, I pulled all the (new data) logs once I got the update installed.  Msg me an email address and I'll forward all the logs to you if you think they might shed some light on the splash screen hang.

I tested the USB stick that I used when i hung and there's nothing wrong with it when tested on a Mac in a stationary environment.

If there was some interruption of the read during the NavData update due to vibration from my running engine and your update time-outs, have to already erased the prior NavData or is it still there.  If still there, has it been moved, renamed, flagged, in some way that a read error could possible leave with no, or corrupted, NavData?

Obvious question: what set of conditions would prevent the IFD from advancing past the splash screen?

Test: take a USB stick and jiggle the hell out of it while doing a NavData update on the bench.  Or, remote the stick and have one of the data lines make intermittent contact (Brushing test) to simulate a very flake read operation with lots of bad data.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

Steve, I pulled all the (new data) logs once I got the update installed.  Msg me an email address and I'll forward all the logs to you if you think they might shed some light on the splash screen hang.

sjacobson@avidyne.com
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Mooney_Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooney_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 5:37pm
Steve, when I tried to load the April 02 database, I experienced similar problems.  The first database appeared to load OK to 99%, then the screen blanked and I got into a boot loop I couldn't stop.  The 540 rebooted about every 10-15 seconds.  I pulled the breakers to stop it, but it continued in the boot loop again when I reset the breakers.  I pulled the breakers again, removed the USB Stick, then reset the breakers.  The 540 booted normally to the fuel screen, but showed the March data for all databases.  Lesson learned: Pull c/Bs and remove the Stick if you get into a boot loop.

I inspected the USB Stick's file contents when I got home, and found about a dozen garbage files with a 1980 date.  Reformatted the stick and reloaded the data from the Jepp JSUM program (latest version for Windows 8.1) and the next attempt to load the data onto the 540 was completely successful.  Inspected the USB stick again upon returning home and found NO garbage files.  Next time I run an update from JSUM, I will check the Stick before loading the 540 to see if there are any garbage files in case JSUM is causing the problem.

Incidentally, the March update (my first after initial installation of my 540) was successful on the first and only try with the same USB Stick.

Hope this information helps with your trouble shooting.
Dave
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 8:27pm
Man, you guys are finding some interesting weirdness.   This last one may prove quite helpful in the investigation.  Thanks!
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Mooney_Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooney_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:31pm
Well, it happened again.  Copied Apr 10 CHARTDATA file to stick using JSUM (did not delete previous CHARTDATA file).  4 files on the stick as shown by WIN 8.1 Explorer - ChartData, obstacles, Terrain, and Authorization.  Put stick in 540, powered up.  ChartData loaded, then said it was verifying data, then went into the boot loop.  Pulled stick and pulled breakers and reset, 540 came up normally with old chart data.  When I got home, inserted stick in computer and there were about 30 junk files (various 1980 dates and one special character file names) and the only usable file was CHARTS.DSF, Obstacle and Terrain disappeared.  It's looks like the 540 causes the problem since the stick was checked and appeared to be good before it was inserted in the 540.  I will try to send you a screen shot of the drive contents.

Good Luck!

Edited by Mooney_Dave - 10 Apr 2015 at 1:33pm
Dave
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:45pm
I got exactly the same thing with one update.

I didn't expect that the 540 would be writing to the FOB, but this sure looks like it does.
David Gates
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 2:40pm
Has anyone tried to do the update with a write-protected usb stick? Some sticks have a write-protect switch that could be set after writing it with JSUM/JdmApp. I haven't checked the manual to see if there is any comment that this needs to be write-enabled.

Edited by chflyer - 10 Apr 2015 at 2:43pm
Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 2:46pm
If you write-protect it you could not download logs so I doubt you should do that unless directed by Avidyne for test purposes.

It could be that there is code that writes out some log files in the event of an error but, even with my one-time hang, I did not see any files written out.  I understand others have and the timestamps are 1980's era.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 2:53pm
My recollection is that logs are written under command from the 540. That is, a different usb could be used to receive the logs. Otherwise, I'm talking about a usb stick with a write-protect switch so protection can be turned on and off. It could have protection selected during the db update. If the issue occurs and the logs are needed, it would need to be removed anyway to get the 540 back up again, so protection could be disabled before re-inserting it to get the logs.

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 2:58pm

We're really digging into this one now.   No quick answers yet.

We are not requiring the fobs to be write protected.   At least not yet.

For the folks who are experiencing this, we'd also love to get a copy of the exact files you used from the JSUM download.   We think that might help us recreate what your seeing (we typically use an alternative method of getting the data from Jepp).

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 5:26pm
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 5:28pm
I just updated the databases for the 540 for the first time this morning.  The charts and navdata loaded correctly but the obstacle data did not.  I tried a couple of times.  The obstacle data on the thumb drive is dated April 2, 2015 so it is current.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 5:55pm
Did you get an ERROR notice on the upload page?  Did it cause any strange behavior after you rebooted the box with the stick out?  Do you now have any additional files on the stick that were not there before?

Do you still have the data on that stick?  If so, you should attach all those files to an email to Steve at (sjacobson@avidyne.com) so he can forward it to the team that is looking at the problem.

jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

Did you get an ERROR notice on the upload page?  Did it cause any strange behavior after you rebooted the box with the stick out?  Do you now have any additional files on the stick that were not there before?

Do you still have the data on that stick?  If so, you should attach all those files to an email to Steve at (sjacobson@avidyne.com) so he can forward it to the team that is looking at the problem.

I didn't get any error messages, just the warning in yellow that the obstacle database is expired.  The unit seemed to perform normally after reboot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic