Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Source for IFD540/GNS-530W Mounting Hardware

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Source for IFD540/GNS-530W Mounting Hardware
    Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 7:08pm
Friends:  Like many of you, I'm planning to sell my GNS-530W to a friend when I install my IFD540.  But Avidyne shipped my IFD540 without a mounting tray, as expected.  So my friend will need to find a mounting tray and hardware to install my 530W in his airplane.

Trouble is, my avionics shop tells me that Garmin, recognizing what was going on, has deliberately stopped selling GNS-530W mounting hardware.  Presumably they don't want to aid and abet the resale of 530W units following the installation of Avidyne's plug-and-play IFD540.

What would you guys suggest I do about this?  In the past, you could easily find 530W mounting hardware on eBay.  But that source seems to have dried up as well.  My friend will keep looking, of course, but he's concerned and wanted me to reach out and inquire what others have done.

I suppose one option would be for him to buy a mounting tray and hardware from Avidyne for the IFD540.  Would that work with his GNS-530W?  After all, it's supposed to be plug-and-play!  The Avidyne price list says the mounting hardware is a $650 add-on when you purchase an IFD540.  But do the online retailers sell if for less?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Mike
< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">

Edited by GMSutton - 29 Jan 2015 at 7:11pm
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 7:18pm
No reason the avidyne chassis will not work.

I did a new IFD540 install and the shop used a GNS530W to verify their wiring was correct since it was their first IFD540 install
Ed
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by edanford edanford wrote:

No reason the avidyne chassis will not work.

It may work but not be legal; that is, using an Avidyne tray may not allow the new owner of the 530W to have the benefit of the Garmin STC...

Thanks, Garmin, for screwing another bunch of us with their competitive zeal...

Mike
  < ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 7:46pm
We recently achieved PMA approval that permits the combination of the Avidyne tray and the Garmin box.  I'll post a link in a few minutes.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 7:49pm
Here is a link to the SIL describing PMA approval:

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 8:47pm
Excellent news, especially considering the Avidyne tray is of superior construction by appearance.  I have one of each in my aircraft.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 9:36pm
love it
skycobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skycobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 10:41am
Great news, just sold my swapped out 530W and buyer appreciates now having a source for a new tray.  Incidentally, my install which was a true plug and play as the entire process took about 35 minutes.  Now if the weather cooperates I can it up in the air and give it a proper shake down. 
Al
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Here is a link to the SIL describing PMA approval:

Great work, Steve.  Except there's one fly in the ointment:  The PMA document isn't clear whether the Avidyne mounting hardware can be used in a standalone GNS-530W installation.

As a result, many avionics shops (including mine) are refusing to install and sign off a 530W with a new Avidyne tray.  So I'm forced to buy the Avidyne mounting hardware, remove my 530W tray, and install the IFD540 using the new tray from Avidyne.  Apparently no one wants to buy a 530W without a tray these days.

Sigh...!  These are the things that test men's souls.  My IFD540 installation is turning out to be a bit more complicated than simple "Plug and Play".  Does anyone know where I can source an Avidyne tray and mounting hardware...?

Mike

Edited by GMSutton - 02 Feb 2015 at 7:02pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 4:59pm
I can tell you my soul is definitely tested....

I think for that last set of installer/shop hold outs, another wave of relief is on the way.   Another PMA called an Identicality PMA is in process.  This will explicitly permit folks to make new installs of the 530-Avidyne tray combo.  This may take a few months to get sign off but it's coming.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 10:09am
One small correction.... this will not be an Identicality PMA - it will instead be an Analysis and Test PMA.  Since we're not using an identical tray, we are performing actual tests of all combos.  The end result will be the same.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic