Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New 540 --July 2014 Data

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 540 --July 2014 Data
    Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:11pm
Very disquieting my new 540 didn't come with updated Nav/Chart data.
Am I missing something??
Craig767 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:13pm
Mine came with the same date. Simple to update once you get Jepp subscription straightened out.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:15pm
Yep.  I got July data on mine, too, which I received in November.  

I kind of expected a current database, sort of like a full tank of gas.  Oh well... I have a subscription for NAVDATA now, but my terrain, obstacles and charts will be forever stuck at July 2014.  (or until I pony up some cash to refresh them)

Edited by pburger - 21 Jan 2015 at 1:15pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:32pm
Getting the obstacles updated is a good idea. The 540 really makes good use of that data to drive FLTA.

As to charts, I have a Jepp chart subscription, so it doesn't cost me much more to have it. I kind of like it.

* Orest

Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

Yep.  I got July data on mine, too, which I received in November.  

I kind of expected a current database, sort of like a full tank of gas.  Oh well... I have a subscription for NAVDATA now, but my terrain, obstacles and charts will be forever stuck at July 2014.  (or until I pony up some cash to refresh them)

I DID EXPECT current data!!
Called Jepp to change my Subscription to the 540. Didn't realize the chart subscription  was needed too.

Back in 2011 one of the reason I funded 2 540's was to avoid JEPP. New book, Old book cover!!
With out wanting to call Jepp would anyone know what the chart Sub is?

Don't get me wrong the 6.5 hrs behind the 540 have been great.

Starting a relationship on a sour note.
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Getting the obstacles updated is a good idea. The 540 really makes good use of that data to drive FLTA.

As to charts, I have a Jepp chart subscription, so it doesn't cost me much more to have it. I kind of like it.

* Orest

Orest.

Flying in the flat lands I didn't pay attention to the FLTA.
I don't think it was working, if not would the FLTA need updating in order to work?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:53pm
Would love to use the full gas tank with a new car delivery analogy but it's not feasible at this point.  Imagine the gas tank leaks out every 14 days.   We elected to reduce the significant burden on the factory by not having them load/reload new data every 14 days.  It's often more than 14 days between initial assembly and installation/turn on in the customer airplane so we used the KISS concept on this issue.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:54pm
FLTA will work with expired nav, chart, and obstacle data.  We obviously vigorously encourage folks to keep the obstacle database current for the most accurate FLTA possible.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Would love to use the full gas tank with a new car delivery analogy but it's not feasible at this point.  Imagine the gas tank leaks out every 14 days.   We elected to reduce the significant burden on the factory by not having them load/reload new data every 14 days.  It's often more than 14 days between initial assembly and installation/turn on in the customer airplane so we used the KISS concept on this issue.

I Believe it is more than a full tank syndrome.

I did expect a NEW FACTORY, FACTORY shipped certified unit to be FULLY ready to fly. I know the plane needs fuel.

I took it upon myself when I turned my G530 to it's new owner that it was current.
This gave them time to get to know the unit without having to start the red tape with JEPP.

Suggestion:  Why not have  current usb sticks shipped separately.   KISS 

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

I kind of expected a current database, sort of like a full tank of gas.
For what it's worth, every new car my family's ever bought has come with about enough gas to get to the nearest station...even back when gas was cheap!

C'mon, folks, this is getting petty.  You're either going to buy a chart subscription, or you're not.  If you are, then it's no big deal to update the charts.  If you're not, then your charts are going to expire soon enough anyway, and you'd better have some other chart solution in place.

My 540 has been sitting on a shelf at my installer's shop now since the end of November.  No matter what charts Avidyne loaded on it at the factory, they're going to be obsolete by the time I get my plane back.  

Since installation can be very easy for folks who are upgrading from a 530, some shops might routinely keep a box on the shelf for immediate install.  Any effort Avidyne goes through to ship the box with current charts will be wasted in that case.

This would be a pain for Avidyne to manage, for the small number of customers who might actually be able to benefit from the effort.

Edited by MysticCobra - 21 Jan 2015 at 3:27pm
jimelliott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimelliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:29pm

My Avidyne equipment is being installed at this time and due to be finished in a few days.  YEA!

I called Jeppesen to cancel my Garmin subscription and pick up with the Avidyne subscription.  The process was completed in one phone call and seemed to work very well.  The cost of the option for a year of Full USA charts was $273 I believe.  The invoice had the charges lumped together so that may be off by a small amount.
Jim Elliott
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

[QUOTE=pburger]I kind of expected a current database, sort of like a full tank of gas.
For what it's worth, every new car my family's ever bought has come with about enough gas to get to the nearest station...even back when gas was cheap!

Did it need a tune up before you drove it off the lot!!  LOL

Edited by Leonard - 21 Jan 2015 at 3:36pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:36pm

I think there is a misunderstanding here.

A part of the 540 install is NAVDATA update (and a FOB is provided for same).

I don't recall, however, if charts were updated at the same time.

David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by jimelliott jimelliott wrote:

My Avidyne equipment is being installed at this time and due to be finished in a few days.  YEA!

I called Jeppesen to cancel my Garmin subscription and pick up with the Avidyne subscription.  The process was completed in one phone call and seemed to work very well.  The cost of the option for a year of Full USA charts was $273 I believe.  The invoice had the charges lumped together so that may be off by a small amount.

There is a bundle you can buy from Jepp.

Was hard to get them to understand it, but finally I did.

The bundle price (navdata, charts, obstacles, annual terrain) was about $1200.

The bundle I believe was called IFD540 basic.

HTH.

David Gates
Craig767 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 4:09pm
You can also get just the NavData update for about the same price as Garmin. Of course you do not get charts,obstacles or terrain. Flying in FL don't worry too much about terrain or obstacles. Have ForeFlight for charts that I can see better on the iPad mini than the 540. I downloaded the current NavData to USB drive and took it with me for aircraft pickup. Took about 2 minutes to update.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 4:35pm
If I could get Full USA charts for $273, I might consider it.  I never saw that as an option.  I am paying $465/yr for Navdata only for the time being.

Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 7:02am
IFR bundle was 995.00. - G530 balance
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 3:49am

Garmin gives a voucher for a one time database update .

Klaus
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 11:29pm
My 540 came in today, I'm pretty much stunned that I get July 2014 databases with a new unit. like KIM says, even with Garmin you get a certificate ! But since my unit doesn't even know where it's at "no GPS position" I guess databases are the least of my worries. Backing up to a 530w is looking better. We pulled a 530 out.
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 6:58am
Originally posted by Bad1996 Bad1996 wrote:

I'm pretty much stunned that I get July 2014 databases with a new unit..

+1
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 7:18am
I think the wording here could be a bit more differentiated.

It is absolutely understandable that Avidyne has no idea when a given unit will be released for service following installation and as such the database in shipped units can really be anything since it will almost always be out of date by installation time. One month or six months out of date doesn't really make any difference.

On the other hand, every purchaser has the right to expect that when they take delivery of their aircraft with a newly installed unit (IFD540), the installation will be legal for takeoff into IFR including all associated databases.

This can be achieved in a variety of ways, and the onus is on Avidyne and the install shop together to arrange something workable. Logically, the simplest would be for the avionics shop to have a code or one-time Jepp login from Avidyne for each box that allows download of the current db from Jepp onto a usb fob which would then be loaded into the IFD540 along with maintenance setup and/or post-install testing. But perhaps Jepp won't buy into this.

Vince
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 10:17am
+1, what chflyer said.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 10:19am
We're working on it. Logistics are much trickier than you would imagine. For right or wrong, I had prioritized other issues and process improvements but folks keep hammering on this one so we're elevating its priority in response.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by 94S 94S wrote:

+1, what chflyer said.
+2. This should be an install process. I was told that a unit would not be sent directly to me and HAD to be sent to a dealer for proper certified installation. With an out of date data base I had to wait for VFR conditions or update the unit before I could get to in the air!
It cost me a yearly Jepp subscription   in fuel for the two trips!
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 10:16am
In the interests of demonstrating the ease and utility of database updates (and building a customer base) Jepp should agree to the one time database update (via certificate, FOB, whatever).

Meanwhile, having gone through this 11 years ago with my CNX 80, I think it's fine to launch into IMC with a never before used GPS/NAV/COM, just don't count on using it for navigation unless it is as a VOR.

Very few people have mastered the techniques necessary to use one of these boxes in actual IMC as the sole Nav source without having done so previously.

Consider it a post maintenance test flight. You don't know how the box is going to perform because it has not yet been tested.

My first flight was safe because I just went VOR to VOR back to home base (in IMC) and shot a VOR approach. I could have done the entire flight with Nav 2. Using the VOR component of the CNX 80 was super easy.

I think the best time to learn a new box is in VFR conditions.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 8:46am
Still working on this. It's a priority for us.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 10:30am

Still working on this. It's a priority for us.

Thank you !
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 11:46pm

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">We're working on it. Logistics are much trickier than you
would imagine. For right or wrong, I had prioritized other issues and process
improvements but folks keep hammering on this one so we're elevating its
priority in response.</span><p ="Mso"> 
<o:p></o:p>

Update ?
cardinal driver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardinal driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 11:20am
Quote With out wanting to call Jepp would anyone know what the chart Sub is?

I suggest email to captain@jeppesen.com instead of calling, to be sure you get accurate info.  You cannot order the bundles online at present.  With phone calls you never know if you have reached someone who knows about the Avidyne bundles.

See
http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=522&PID=5762&title=jeppesen-only-source-of-navdata#5762
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 5:06pm
If you have trouble reaching anyone alive at Jepp who understands the bundle, I can help.  Took a while but I have a human contact who asked that I not give out her email but who I can point in your direction if you have a problem.

David
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Bad1996 Bad1996 wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">We're working on it. Logistics are much trickier than you
would imagine. For right or wrong, I had prioritized other issues and process
improvements but folks keep hammering on this one so we're elevating its
priority in response.</span><p ="Mso"> 
<o:p></o:p>

Update ?

Still working it.  This will be slow.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 4:54pm

Any update?

Klaus
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 8:54am
No, not yet.  But I do have a face-to-face meeting with the power players at Jepp at Sun-n-Fun and this topic is on the agenda if not resolved prior to that.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 8:31pm
This may be out of sequence, but as I am on the short list for my new 540 install, and wondering about database subscriptions, I see lots of $$ subscription choices:

1.  Jepp Bundled subscription = $994 US NavData, Terrain, Charts, Obstacles
2.  Jepp tells me they do not handle SafeTaxi, this must be via Avidyne!

So, 
3.  Does anybody out there have SafeTaxi from Avidyne, and what is the $$ Charge?

4.  Also, how is the above Jepp subscription different from "C-Max"?
5.  Is NACO charting an option?

Thanks for helping with this confusion.

Tom W.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 8:56pm
There is a SafeTaxi equivalent by Avidyne, and it is free! The airport chart page (like most of the charts) is georeferenced (MAP|CHART), and pops up automatically when you land (as long as you have any approach chart selected) or you can manually select it. Because this is accomplished with Jepp charts, it works world-wide, wherever you have a subscription of course.

SafeTaxi is a *armin product.

Not personally familiar with C-Max.

NACO plates are not supported.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 08 Apr 2015 at 9:03pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 2:29am
Can you clarify what you mean by the first and last statements, Orest? Free, but if you have a Jepp subscription seems to be a contradiction to me. I suspect that what you mean is that if you have a Jepp IAC subscription, then the airport charts are included with the IAC's..... correct?

I have a Jepp VFR chart subscription for Europe. It includes VAC and airport charts. It's more or less affordable compared to the IFR charts which are priced for the turbine market. But I'm quite certain that the VFR charts aren't available for the IFD540. I'd love to have someone contradict me.

Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 7:31am
Vince,

Tom was framing the question as, I have the Jepp bundle subscription, how much "more" is SafeTaxi.

Yes, you must first have a Jepp chart subscription (like Tom has) on the unit, you will then have SafeTaxi functionality at no further charge.

Yes, Jepp and Free seldom belong in the same sentence. ;-)

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

* Orest

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 9:13am

There is a SafeTaxi equivalent by Avidyne, and it is free! The airport chart page (like most of the charts) is georeferenced (MAP|CHART), and pops up automatically when you land (as long as you have any approach chart selected) or you can manually select it. Because this is accomplished with Jepp charts, it works world-wide, wherever you have a subscription of course.

SafeTaxi is a *armin product.

NACO plates are not supported.

* Orest
+1

Not personally familiar with C-Max.
CMax is an Entegra E1 thing. It's software that enables charts to display on the MFD. The software already exists on the IFD540, the only thing you need is the Jepp subscription.
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 1:55pm

No, not yet.  But I do have a face-to-face meeting with the power players at Jepp at Sun-n-Fun and this topic is on the agenda if not resolved prior to that.

Any update?

Klaus
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 8:51pm

Im told now: "Your shop should have been able to install fresh navdata at the time of install" (free)

I'm having trouble believing this....if you didn't know then how was my shop or I supposed to know. Maybe it came later. Can you clarify what was supposed to happen ?
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:37am
BUMP
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:53am
Word is that boxes purchased now (and for a while) get a fresh update (if your avionics folks know what they are doing)
Not sure when (the date) new data was included.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 10:45pm
It looks like new owners get a 60 day trial now:

https://www.avidyne.com/landing/JeppTrial.asp
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic